Afraid of pace

dude119

Afraid of pace

Im afraid of playing really fast pace bowlers. I get really nervous because i cant react to the pace of the ball. It just takes the edge or i miss it alltogethr. Can anyone give me any tips??

Re: Afraid of pace

Please refer to any of the batting threads in the column to get a basic idea for batting and then analysis in the nets.
You might get a solution related to Ur batting problem.

dude119 said:
Im afraid of playing really fast pace bowlers. I get really nervous because i cant react to the pace of the ball. It just takes the edge or i miss it alltogethr. Can anyone give me any tips??

Welcome to the board.

There a are a threads around detailing similar problems but the key things are:

1. Get as much protection as you can. Helmet, arm guard, chest par, inner and outer thigh pad etc. The more you have the more protected you'll feel and hopefully this will help your confidence.

2. Practice. Get kitted up and have people give you throw downs. Start off at a pace you can hit (do you get used to the kit) and work on one shot at a time. As you get more confident, increase the pace and mix the shots up.

3. From the nets get out onto the grass and play in game situations. Get the bowlers to mix it up and don't be afraid to let the ball hit your kit - it'll give you more confidence when you know that it's doing the job.

There is no secret to it other than hard work. You may always be slightly scared of extreme pace bowling but then a lot of people are, they just learn to trust their skills and put faith into their protective gear.

Thanks for the tips mate. I'll definitely practice hard. I'm not afraid of hard work. Is this all that I need to do? Do I need to make any technical adjustemnts?

It's hard to say about the technical adjustments (as I've never seen you bat) but I would work on the basics for now. Get in line with the ball, keep the head still and concentrate.

You have to watch the ball till the last minute. When I started to play some fast bowlers I couldnt keep eyes on the ball. You have to practice hard and keep thinking of watching the ball. Otherwise you will keep missing it.

If you have baseball nets around (probably not) or have some sort of ball throwing machine that will throw consistently at one spot you can use that to get your eye set and get a feel of how fast bowling can be. If you get your eye set then, you can start facing the bowlers who are not as fast as a pitching machine. You can do that then without feeling so scared.

If you have access to a bowling machine then that's your best bet. You can very gradually push the speed up over time. A bowling machine also allows you to know where the ball will be directed so that you can get into a groove playing the same ball over and over again, rather than a yorker followed by a bouncer etc. You need to feel comfortable playing the same shot again and again, then vary the balls against the machine at each speed as you move up. It'll be a gradual process - not an overnight solution!

thanks cricket burble, that was the word I was looking for but I couldn't think that late

Well we don't have a bowling machine but I get someone to throw the ball to me or I throw the ball against a wall but thats not so comfortable.

I do have access to a bowling machine and I've been practising by slowly increasing the pace. My reaction time has increased some what.

dude119 said:

DON'T THINK ABOUT PLAYING SHOTS WHEN YOU ARE NEW TO THE CREASE WITH A FAST BOWLER COMING AT YOU. JUST BLOCK THE FIRST TWO OR THREE BALLS, GET USED TO THE PACE. THEN START WATCHING THE BALL FROM THE BOWLERS HAND SO YOUR EYES CAN STE IN AND YOU HAVE AN IDEA OF THE WHAT HE IS GOING TO BOWL. MOST IMPORTANTLY, THERE IS NO NEED TO BE AFRAID AT ALL CAUSE THERE IS JUST NO WAY ANY BOWLER CAN HURT YOU IF YOU WEAR THE RIGHT PROTECTION AND WATCH THE BALL CLOSELY IN ORDER TO REACT PROPERLY.

Back