Around The Wicket To Big Hitters

swingking01

is it a good idea to bowl around the wicket to big hitters (slogger) because whenever bowl to this one batmen i always get smack to the boundrys but i was thinking maybe if i bowl around the wicket (i bowl outswing and inswing at good pace iam under14s ) because it will cramp him up and when i bowl a inswinger it will wing back in to him a hopefully bowl him

It wouldn't be to bad as a variation anyway. A different angle means the batsmen would have to adjust. Even if it dosent work 100% that ball probably wouldn't be a boundary.

I usually open the bowling, and should a batter straight away start to dominate, I usually go round to switch it up.
And slower balls....and effort balls. Can be effective if you bowl well enough with the right field.
Variation in pace is a better weapon though, having an effort ball, and a slower ball, (provided they're not too obvious) tends to make the batter watch the ball a little more, and concentrate less on which car is yours in the carpark.

You should always aim to bowl consistently and throw a variation only occasionally. If you mix it up, you have no consistency and are reacting to the batsman rather than the other way around.

I've never really understood the over the wicket/round the wicket thing. Its such a small difference, all the batsman has to do is alter the angle of his stance slightly and nothing has changed.

Its only real tactical relevance is with regards to lbws and hitting in line or outside the line.

Back