Ashes 2010/2011: England in Australia

Ljp86

Staff member
So the Ashes are underway and this will be the series' official thread for the summer.

England started the day terribly, losing captain Andrew Strauss in the very first over for a duck to a risky cut shot that went straight to Michael Hussey at gully. The English further slumped when Jonathan Trott was bowled through the gate for 29 after Shane Watson pitched one up fuller and swung it back in perfectly.

An of out form Kevin Pietersen and Alistair Cook took it upon themselves to rebuild the innings and did so fairly well, getting themselves patiently to 2/86 at lunch. Things looked good after lunch until Pietersen drove hard at a fullish ball from Siddle and Ponting made no mistake at second slip and that saw KP gone for 43. Paul Collingwood followed not long after pushing at another fullish ball from Siddle and Marcus North took a sharp catch at third slip. Collingwood scored only four and England were now in a bit of trouble at 4/125.

The much maligned Ian Bell joined Cook at the crase and the two put on a partnership of 72 before one of the best moments in Ashes history occured. Cook reached at a Siddle delivery outside off stump but only edged behind to Watson at slip for a well made 67. The very next ball, Matt Prior was clean bowled by a sharp and very full delivery and then Stuart Broad, who faced the hattrick ball was given out LBW after Siddle's delivery swung in nicely and hit him plumb in front. Broad went for the review but was adjudged to be out a second time and was sent on his way giving Siddle a test hattrick. And on his 26th birthday too!!

Siddle's hattrick hurt England badly and they slumped to 7/197 in quick time. Graeme Swann came and went quickly for 10, trapped plumb in front by Siddle. The review was asked for but Swann was sent on his way after Tony Hill upheld the original decision. Bell did his best to farm the strike from Anderson but fell to Xavier Doherty on 76 but not before adding some crucial runs to the England total. In the end it was a poor shot, Bell tried to loft into the gap over cover but could only hit it straight to Watson at deep cover who caught the ball easily and that was Doherty's first test scalp.

The last wicket didn't take long with Anderson trying an ambitiously ridiculous reverse sweep and was bowled for 11 and that left England all out for 260.

In reply, Australia faced seven overs, moving to 0/25 before stumps were called. Simon Katich made it to 15 not out whilst Watson is also not out on nine.

So, a good day's play if you're an Australian fan, not such a good one if you follow the English. Tomorrow looks like it will be a cracking day's play and you can talk about it here on BigCricket.com.

Who else was surprised by Australia's efforts today? I must admit I was, especially by Siddle who really was fantastic today. His spot in the team was questioned and he responded in the best possible way, on his birthday mind you.

I think an English batting collapse was always on the cards on the first day of the series on a wet wicket. In fact 260 is probably not that bad - it just depends on how Australia bat. However the hattrick wickets - especially Prior were remarkably soft. I was somewhat surprised that Strauss elected to bat, which is probably more a result of haunting past memories (especially Gabba 1994 and 2002) rather than a considered assessment of the conditions. Bowling first would normally be "correct" in these conditions, but probably not on the first day of an ashes series in Australia. If Australia got through it, Strauss would forever be criticised for being negative which could carry through the whole series.

Australias batting performance today will probably be the most crucial part of this test - as there are real question marks over Australia's batting. Watson has a habit of getting out straight away the next day. And huge pressure on Clarke, Hussey, North and Haddin.

Geez after just getting home from work it really sounds like Clarke is struggling out there, they just showed a replay of the ball just beating the bat's edge like 7 times. Hussey looking very positive though advancing down the wicket to smash Swann for six first up, hopefully he can go on with it and repay the the selectors faith.

LOLZ @ Clarke... not only was he clueless out there, it doesn't sound as though he's even fit. Blinder of a selection decision :D (this forum really needs a LOL smiley)

The question marks over North continue. You have to think he's done now, surely?! Win, lose, draw, it's time to move on.

The question marks over North continue. You have to think he's done now, surely?! Win, lose, draw, it's time to move on.
he'll probably be allowed to fail 2 or 3 more times, then he'll score a century when it doesn't matter. A more pressing problem may well be Clarke - is he fit? If not, why the hell was he passed? There may well be a lot of selectional red faces after this match.

Australia finish day two at 5/220. Mike Hussey was the star of the day, scoring 81 not out and helped Australia keep the upper hand throughout most of the day. Simon Katich scored 50, Shane Watson made 36 and Brad Haddin was ptient in making 22 not out and really helped Hussey get Australia out of trouble as the wicket of North had the Aussies 5/143.

England's bowlers bowled fairly well. James Anderson took 2/40, Steve Finn has 2/61 and Graeme Swann took 1/59. Play eventually finished early due to a combination of rain and bad light.

Australia still have an advantage but less so than at the end of play yesterday. Day Three will be a real key to see which way this match goes and a draw could be a possibility with showers forecast for the final three days of play.

he'll probably be allowed to fail 2 or 3 more times, then he'll score a century when it doesn't matter. A more pressing problem may well be Clarke - is he fit? If not, why the hell was he passed? There may well be a lot of selectional red faces after this match.

I really hope not. North has to go for Khawaja but I have a bad feeling he'll play at least once more test. If the selectors have any brains, Khawaja will line-up in Adelaide. Clarke doesn't look 100% fit either.

Very stupid/selfish of Clarke to be out there if he isn't fully fit.

North's defensive lunges at the ball early in his innings are borderline comical, wouldn't mind Smith being given a go at 6 next match, I'd be surprised if it happens though.

Brilliant to see Hussey finally break the shackles yesterday though, he's a great player to watch when in form.

Haddin brings up his ton with a six, England in some serious strife now with this massive Australian partnership of 226 with a lead of 110 :)

Brilliant to see Hussey finally break the shackles yesterday though, he's a great player to watch when in form.

... And mercilessly embarrassing to watch when he's not.

It was inevitable he would return to form. He was not going to be dispensed with until that happened.

It was inevitable he would return to form. He was not going to be dispensed with until that happened.

I bet you were praying that he failed and that he would somehow get replaced by some spud that's worn a Bushranger shirt...

A great innings for Australia when it has really mattered, suck it up buddy.

Well, I don't think today could've gone any worse for Australia... I guess we are heading for a draw now, I think it was paying something like $20 yesterday lol.

Here we are debating the batting line up (which does need changing) - but does anyone actually think we'll get 20 wickets in any tests with our current bowling set up?

Johnson out for Bollinger?

Where will the wickets come from?

At this rate we might have a few draws this series as getting 20 wickets will be a stretch for both teams.

Getting wickets is certainly going to be the Aussies problem. How often do they fail to bowl teams out in test matches against decent teams. Even if they do in this match the chance to win has gone, I believe. With the way they bat in second innings, they'll be hard put to stay out there for two sessions if Strauss (who won't I'm sure, we need to win the series, they don't) declares in a rush of blood.

If he continues the shocker tomorrow that's probably what I'd change for Adelaide, doubt the selectors will have the balls to drop him though..

are you serious? At this rate I don't think the selectors will have the balls NOT to drop him. Or what I should say is keeping him for the next test will be far gutsier selection than dropping him.

Well after this morning's effort I guess you are right, he does seem to be CA's golden boy though.

So far in the Shield game Khawaja and Smith have made only 17 and 8, Bollinger has got the first wicket though.

1 for 503 now lol.

Back