Asif arrested for possession of drugs

N

News Bot

Asif arrested for possession of drugs

The Pakistan Cricket Board is due to make an announcement on the situation this afternoon.

More...

Re: Asif arrested for possession of drugs

Interesting turn of events in the life of Asif

Steriod banning, fast bowler on the international stage and now possessing drugs?

Would be interesting what the PCB, the ICC do with the case. But I am pretty sure Dubai have a no drugs policy and it carries hefty jail sentences.

Maybe the end for him...

Mohammad Asif caught with contraband substance

Mohammad Asif has been detained in Dubai on the suspicion of being in the possession of drugs. It is believed that Asif has been caught with drugs and there are some reports coming out that it may be either opium or hashish.

Asif tested positive for the banned substance, nandrolone and was suspended by the Pakistan Cricket Board for a year although this verdict was overturned on appeal one month later.

The PCB will hold a press conference on the matter at about 12:30pm Pakistan time.

Asif caught with illegal substance

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, Asif is certainly is certainly in some trouble now, Pakistan Cricket Board aren't going to take much more of these shenanigans, Asif was lucky to get away with the nandrolone incident and now he's been caught with an illegal substance. Not only does he face a suspension from cricket, he could also be up on criminal charges depending on how the UAE criminal code operates on those caught with drugs. He may even face a stint in jail if the UAE has a harsh stance on those in possession of illicit drugs.

The next few days are going to be very interesting.

EDIT: Penalty of possession of drugs if found guilty in the UAE is the death penalty!!!! :eek: :eek:

Re: Mohammad Asif caught with contraband substance

Yeah he's ********ed, if guilty his career is over and possibly his life.

Wow, this guy is turning out to have even more problems at a younger age than Shoiab Akhtar, and that's really saying something! Don't they have any seniors providing proper guidance to youngsters in the Pakistan progam? They sure seem to be getting into too much trouble.

Mohammad Asif will remain in detention after being caught with an illicit substance on Sunday. Asif is ecpected to be held in Dubai for the next three or four days as the wait for the results on Asif's urine test and also a test on the actual substance continues.

A death in the UAE's royal family appears likely to make the wait even longer as most public offices shut down for the mourning period.

Asif to spend more time in custody

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Might be waiting a while now. We probably won't find out anything till the end of the week. Still not sure why the process is taking so long, the result should have been made public by now.

I believe findings have been handed to a Pakistan official and the attorny general

Possesion of drugs without intent of trafficking still carries 4 years in prison

Any updates on the situation?

I think i recall hearing something but i can't remember if he got off or not.

Jolldo87;222942 said:
Any updates on the situation?

I think i recall hearing something but i can't remember if he got off or not.

Got off. UAE police didn't charge him and actually withdrew their complaint.

Mohammad Asif in trouble again it seems. The IPL named him today as the player who tested positive for a banned substance during the Twenty20 tournament.

Asif now has the right to request his "B" sample be sent for analysis, a process which he can attend in person. Should Asif's "B" sample test positve he will be subject to the IPL's drugs tribunal who will then make a decision in regards to the code.

Asif tests positive for banned substance

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In major trouble now. Asif is still to come under an inquiry from the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) for the incident in Dubai which saw him detained for 19 days.

Pretty dumb thing to do really, you'll never get away with taking performance enhancing substances these days, it's only a matter of time before you are caught. Could be career over.

I should have guessed it was him

Sheer stupidity on his part but i can't help but wonder wether he would have done this if he was punished properly the first time.

Asif's "B" sample has tested positive for a banned substance. Sample "A" contained 6.2 mg of the banned substance Nandrolone, while Sample "B" contained 5.4 mg. Asif is now at the mercy of the IPL's drugs tribunal, which is headed by former Indian player Sunil Gavaskar. The IPL drugs tribunal contains the same rules as the ICC's anti-doping code.

Asif tested positive for Nandrolone in 2006 and was banned for a year along with Shoaib Akhtar. However, the decision was overtuned a month later.

Asif's "B" sample tests positive

Has to go now. Anything less than a ban will be a joke. If he does get banned, I hope this one sticks because I'm quite sick of players being banned for doing the wrong thing and then getting the decision overturned on appeal. Pakistan will lose all credibility if Asif isn't suspended here.

The first time you could have said he was naive but to do it again shows how dumb/arrogant he is. The only way he'll learn his lesson is a lenghty ban.

Back