Australian T20I XI - Selection Thread

Re: Australian T20I XI - Selection Thread

Looks strong, Clarke would have to be the weak link in the batting. Harris and Birt would consider themselves unlucky, but there's such a huge amount of talent that you can't simply pick everyone. Guys like Finch, Simpson, Hughes, Cutting, Rimmington would all get a game for most other countries (just to name a few), but probably weren't even considered, such is the Australian depth at the moment.

Clarke has looked pretty good lately, has that flow back of his youth. Still no T20 player, but I can see him being a better performer than he has shown so far for this comp.

T20 has too much room for talent though, really most countries should be able to field two teams of pretty much equal strength. Perhaps that's an outlandish idea for a competition :D? Top 5 in the rankings field two teams each for a Champions Trophy style comp? :D

Decent looking squad, bit sceptical of Lee being in it; however I guess if you ruled him out then Lee's career would be over and I still think Lee has a bit to offer in the ODI format of the game, right now I'm concerned about Lee's match fitness.

To be honest, I know T20 is a bit of a lottery, but I'd be disappointed with anything less then a berth in the main final.

Best side is

Watson, Warner, Clarke, Dussey, White, Hussey, Haddin, Smith/Johnson, Hauritz, Nannes, Tait

I would be tempted to play the 2 spinners + the part time ones but expect Australia to play Johnson instead although thats probably too many pace bowlers, but Australia seemed to think all out pace was the way, no way Lee should get a game

Boris;395701 said:
T20 World Cup to start in one month. Squads have been selected today, with some interesting inclusions/declusions.

Australian Squad:

David Warner, Shane Watson, Michael Clarke (capt), Cameron White, David Hussey, Michael Hussey, Tim Paine, Steven Smith, Daniel Christian, Brad Haddin (wk), Brett Lee, Dirk Nannes, Mitchell Johnson, Nathan Hauritz, Shaun Tait.

Brett Lee back from injury, going to play some IPL and has one month to be back to full fitness. One would think he is in the First XI the way he has pushed out Harris and the couple of other contenders despite not playing since October last year.

Birt is out after playing 3 games, as is Harris as said.

Michael Hussey hasn't played since the last T20 World Cup, so interesting to see him there, but a good choice nonetheless IMO. Of the little he has played he has been one of the top batsmen, so in my First XI as well for the first fixtures at least.

That pace line up is frightening. The slowest there is Johnson, and that's saying something. Having Tait, Lee and Nannes would be heaven come for me. Would pay any amount of money to see Lee and Tait at full flight again together.

Thoughts on the squad?

I'd make one change: Get rid of Clarke. I don't care who you bring, just get him out. He's not a 20/20 player.

eddiesmith;395728 said:
Best side is

Watson, Warner, Clarke, Dussey, White, Hussey, Haddin, Smith/Johnson, Hauritz, Nannes, Tait

I would be tempted to play the 2 spinners + the part time ones but expect Australia to play Johnson instead although thats probably too many pace bowlers, but Australia seemed to think all out pace was the way, no way Lee should get a game

I agree it's a bit of a stretch with Lee being there but he has the IPL to warm up in, and as one of the best T20 bowlers in the world (from the little we have seen) I would have him in the squad. Would play him against the minnow/s first up (if I remember correctly) and see what his fitness is like.

I daresay after some IPL he will be either fit or never getting a game again.

Finally found a use for the IPL :D

The Ox;395770 said:
I'd make one change: Get rid of Clarke. I don't care who you bring, just get him out. He's not a 20/20 player.

T20 still has a bit of a hit and giggle feeling to it. Clarke is there to captain the side to prepare him for ODIs and Tests, nothing more.

I think Clarke will have a decent time out there anyway.

Boris;395809 said:
I agree it's a bit of a stretch with Lee being there but he has the IPL to warm up in, and as one of the best T20 bowlers in the world (from the little we have seen) I would have him in the squad. Would play him against the minnow/s first up (if I remember correctly) and see what his fitness is like.

I daresay after some IPL he will be either fit or never getting a game again.

Finally found a use for the IPL :D

I disagree he is one of the best T20 bowlers in the world, he is too old now, its nearly been 12 months since he copped a massive hiding in England and after that he should have been forgotten about, you cant on one hand play Clarke for 'experience' and then pick Lee because back when he could play more than 2-3 games in a row many years ago he was alright at this short game

eddiesmith;395815 said:
I disagree he is one of the best T20 bowlers in the world, he is too old now, its nearly been 12 months since he copped a massive hiding in England and after that he should have been forgotten about, you cant on one hand play Clarke for 'experience' and then pick Lee because back when he could play more than 2-3 games in a row many years ago he was alright at this short game

Nannes is older than Lee, so the age should be no barrier. Lee has similar figures to Nannes as well, both in IPL and International T20. Lee is better with the bat, faster, arguably more accurate, much more experienced and is the second best ODI bowler over the past 10 years. Some of that has obviously paid off for him getting this selection, it's a little hard to go past.

Age really is no barrier in T20s. You bowl for 4 overs max, bat maybe, and it's not as if you can pick for the future, teams change week in, week out with rotations a plenty.

The only possible thing that can hold him back is the injuries. He now has a month to play IPL, do some serious training and get back into it all. He will be under the supervision of the people that made Watson as injury free as he is today, so he can refuel and start up again. He's had a good break and things are looking up.

In the end, though, my thinking is: so what if he lasts only 2-3 games. That's 2-3 games where he will possibly win it for the team. That's 2-3 games bowling tandem with Tait, the fastest bowling combo in the world ever. It's 2-3 games you wouldn't want to miss.

If he fails in the first one, then he's gone. Otherwise we have nothing to lose.

But Nannes is still bowling well, Lees last outing at the T20 WC was a shocker has have his only 2 IPL performances so far, Lee is finished and I highly doubt you will see the pace you want, Nannes and Tait is a far more fearsome bowling attack these days, no batsmen fear Lee

He is too much of a risk, I am sure Australia would prefer to finally win this than give Lee a sendoff, he wont be around for the next one and as seen last year, one bad bowling performance from Lee is the end of the tournament

Lee's performance against England matched everyone else's. He happened to have been bowling against Gayle the over he got going. Didn't matter who was bowling, if Gayle is going then you are in trouble. Everyone else ended up with similar figures, just Lee had the worst over of them all.

His IPL efforts have been just as good as Nannes. His last game wasn't the greatest, but then again, neither was Nannes.

I know Nannes is is great form and all, and is such a good bowler in this form, but I do believe that Lee is actually a better bowler now than he used to be, given a couple of games to get going again. He is much, much smarter and has so much more control than he used to, as shown by his last 3 outings with the ball in Australian colours (tour matches).

This can only be shown by his performances though. If he doesn't perform then I am taking back my statements.

You are right, Nannes 3.1 overs, 1/15 against the same mob who spanked Lee is definately comparable to Lees 0/39 off 4 or his 0/24 off 2.3 in his last outing...

As for career, Nannes averages 18, Lee 24, still a bit between them and Nannes 17 and Lees 26 for Australia is even further apart and their comparable IPL careers? 32 for Lee, 21 for Nannes...

Lee may be a better One day bowler than he used to, but in T20 he just gets smashed and happens alot more these days as he doesnt play long enough to get into a rythym, if Australia risk Lee they wont be getting to the 2nd round

Well if you don't agree with the Nannes/Lee comparison, how about the Johnson/Lee comparison then?

eddiesmith;395728 said:
Best side is

Like the look of that side edward :)

Boris;395874 said:
Well if you don't agree with the Nannes/Lee comparison, how about the Johnson/Lee comparison then?
Probably a fair comparison, both likely to get smashed most matches, might get lucky once or twice a year

Australia are lacking a tight option in their pace bowling ranks, they simply went for all out pace and it has never worked for them

Brett Lee watch
4 overs, 0/48 v Bangalore

Oh how I wish England was in Australias group if Lee is going to play :D

Glad to see you giving him recovery time. After only a month after elbow surgery I'd like to see how you play.

Give him another 2 games at least before you assess him like that.

What speeds was he getting up to?

Well the Australian selectors dont think he needed any recovery time before naming him and besides his form is consistent with pre elbow surgery

eddiesmith;395908 said:
Brett Lee watch
4 overs, 0/48 v Bangalore

Oh how I wish England was in Australias group if Lee is going to play :D

Yeah, so do we, we have nothing to worry about if a team gets dropped by Holland :eek::D:rolleyes:

Back