Australian T20I XI - Selection Thread

Re: Australian T20I XI - Selection Thread

Lee will be 34 at the WC, sure, but it's not the same as a batsmen, who can play on nearly to they are 40 if they are good enough. Brett Lee's main attribute is sheer pace; we saw that displayed perfectly against England in the ODI games last year. As soon as that pace goes than that is it for Lee, at 34, you wouldn't think he is going to get any quicker.

At this point, it seems Lee's time as a professional international cricketer are numbered IMO.

Realistically, his plan should be to push for selection for the tour to England and than stay fit long enough to play in the ODI games in India; if lee performs well there than he can book a place in the world cup, because at his best, Lee is still one of the best exponents of reverse swing in the world and we could use that ability in India this time next year when we go for 4 in a row.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;397227 said:
Lee will be 34 at the WC, sure, but it's not the same as a batsmen, who can play on nearly to they are 40 if they are good enough. Brett Lee's main attribute is sheer pace; we saw that displayed perfectly against England in the ODI games last year. As soon as that pace goes than that is it for Lee, at 34, you wouldn't think he is going to get any quicker.

At this point, it seems Lee's time as a professional international cricketer are numbered IMO.

Realistically, his plan should be to push for selection for the tour to England and than stay fit long enough to play in the ODI games in India; if lee performs well there than he can book a place in the world cup, because at his best, Lee is still one of the best exponents of reverse swing in the world and we could use that ability in India this time next year when we go for 4 in a row.

Lee bowled at his best in his career when he was bowling low 140s due to injury. He didn't get above 150 for about a year at one stage, everyone was criticising him for it but that was the time where he was rated as the best bowler in the world.

He developed reverse swing to combat his loss of pace due to age and injury. He can get back up to 155 now, but he doesn't really need to. 34 is too young for a bowler to retire unless mortally injured, often they are craftiest at that age.

If Lee can get over these injury set backs properly he can bowl till he's 36. If he doesn't spend the time and effort to do it, then he shouldn't be playing at all: Good bye Mr Lee. He has one more chance, and he's got to do it right. Look at Watson, he came back from injuries the right way - he took a year off cricket when he could possibly have only needed to take 6 months off.

If Lee wants to play again he has to do as his agent is saying in interviews. He has to be back firing on all ten cylinders, no sooner.

Obviously the IPL was too soon. Should be no T20WC for Lee.

Hate to say it Brett... but I told you so.

Recovery is more important in the long run.

Boris;398782 said:
Hate to say it Brett... but I told you so.

Recovery is more important in the long run.

Anybody else think he tried to bowl too fast too soon?

The Aussie attack is shaping up to be interesting. Hauritz has been mince in 2 games now. He must have been nuts to agree to play for the Windward Islands as the Aussies got stuck into him good and proper. He had the worst run rate for all the bowlers on both teams.

Beeswax;398817 said:
Anybody else think he tried to bowl too fast too soon?

In the IPL he was only bowling high 130s, low 140s with no variations... just stock balls. That would be the reason why he was hammered.

Then he got to the Windies and bowled like he usually would at his more proper speeds with different variations. It worked, bowled very well, but his time off bowling and most possibly training obviously made his body even more injury prone.

It is only a small torn muscle in his forearm, doesn't have anything to do with his past elbow injury so he only needs 3 or so weeks off, but not being able to train that arm after surgery for a long period obviously weakened everything in there.

Like I said before he toured, I really want him in the team, but he should have given this tournament the sit out as well. He needs the recovery more than anything, a couple of T20s and a week of half paced training isn't enough. He had the thumb injury as well that delayed his training as well.

Obviously I'm no doctor, but common sense tells me that.

Beeswax;398817 said:
The Aussie attack is shaping up to be interesting. Hauritz has been mince in 2 games now. He must have been nuts to agree to play for the Windward Islands as the Aussies got stuck into him good and proper. He had the worst run rate for all the bowlers on both teams.

I see him playing against Pakistan on Sunday, but if he doesn't perform there I think Smith will be ahead of him.

Boris;398916 said:
In the IPL he was only bowling high 130s, low 140s with no variations... just stock balls. That would be the reason why he was hammered.

Then he got to the Windies and bowled like he usually would at his more proper speeds with different variations. It worked, bowled very well, but his time off bowling and most possibly training obviously made his body even more injury prone.

It is only a small torn muscle in his forearm, doesn't have anything to do with his past elbow injury so he only needs 3 or so weeks off, but not being able to train that arm after surgery for a long period obviously weakened everything in there.

Like I said before he toured, I really want him in the team, but he should have given this tournament the sit out as well. He needs the recovery more than anything, a couple of T20s and a week of half paced training isn't enough. He had the thumb injury as well that delayed his training as well.

Obviously I'm no doctor, but common sense tells me that.

I see him playing against Pakistan on Sunday, but if he doesn't perform there I think Smith will be ahead of him.

I don't know about Hauritz starting, The fact that the spare wicket-keeper and the spare all-rounder played for Windwards alongside him looks bad for his chances even in the first match. And Smith got to bowl with the first choice players. And he took wickets as did Clarke and Hussey. It was a tough match all round for Hauritz, the West Indies players aren't great at facing slow bowlers, hence the liberal p/timer taking of wickets so he got stitched up in some ways.

I would like Lee fit as well. He bowled really quite brilliantly late last year in England, the Champions Trophy and in the Champions League. But he has got to stop declaring himself ready as that sort of desperation is just going to lead to more injuries.

eddiesmith;398954 said:
The biggest worry is if Australia is still planning on 4 quicks + Watson

I would agree there.

This line up seems likely according to cricinfo:

Watson
Warner
Clarke
Hussey
White
Hussey
Smith
Johnson
Nannes
Tait

I agree with that, but as spin bowlers are more than useful, putting Hauritz (or Smith if you have Hauritz in ahead) in would mean sacrificing a pace bowler.

Would you agree that pace bowler has to be Nannes? Johnson is an automatic selection and has hit some form lately, and I rate Tait as just about the best T20 bowler in the world.

Cruel decision.

No way you go into the side with just Johnson and Tait, it would be Watson who would make way for Smith or maybe Mike Hussey if you wanted to sacrifice the batting, Nannes is Australias most reliable T20 bowler and most likely to keep the economy rate down. Plus if playing the 2 spinners then Smith is playing as the all rounder, not a pure bowler

But you have Hussey, Clarke and Smith, probably no need for Hauritz as well

Watson
Warner
Clarke*
D Hussey
White
Haddin+
M Hussey
Johnson
Hauritz
Nannes
Tait

That would be the side I would pick against Pakistan. Tait, Nannes and Johnson to bowl four overs each with Hauritz, D Hussey and Watson to bowl eight overs between them. Alternatively, one of the fringe bowlers (Watson/D Hussey) can bowl their full alottment if one of the quicks becomes expensive. The batting looks after itself although I agree Clarke shouldn't be playing but he's in the squad so we have to deal with it.

Ljp86;398976 said:
Watson
Warner
Clarke*
D Hussey
White
Haddin+
M Hussey
Johnson
Hauritz
Nannes
Tait

That would be the side I would pick against Pakistan. Tait, Nannes and Johnson to bowl four overs each with Hauritz, D Hussey and Watson to bowl eight overs between them. Alternatively, one of the fringe bowlers (Watson/D Hussey) can bowl their full alottment if one of the quicks becomes expensive. The batting looks after itself although I agree Clarke shouldn't be playing but he's in the squad so we have to deal with it.

I am sure that Steve Smith will be in there. Hauritz might miss out or Mike Hussey, but SSmith is pencilled in, I am sure.

And if Clarke could swallow his pride, he should be coming in after Haddin at around 7, that would force him to hit out. At three, he is bad news.

I just heard the team announcement, Hauritz is not playing, what a surprise. Not.

Pakistan have a good bowling line-up. Lots of interesting options. Depends on which Sami turns up though.

Spin is highly effective in 20-20. I think that Hauritz being left out is probably not a bad move. It's more about a change of pace with the spinners in 20-20. I think Clarke should make himself the "spinner" in the 20-20 team, and bowl 4 overs most games. It makes him an all-rounder and gives a bit of flexibility. D. Hussey is a good offie for 20-20 as well, and Smith should bowl a few. I like Hauritz, but 20-20 is a harsh format. I rate Clarke's spin fairly highly.

I'd go for this team in batting order:

Warner
Watson
D.Hussey
White
Clarke
Haddin
M.Hussey
Smith
Johnson
Nannes
Tait

Clarke should bat down the order, between hitters White and Haddin. If we're into the 10-20 over period when the third wicket falls, he should let Haddin and M.Hussey bat before him. He should be at five in case we lose early wickets in the first ten, where he can come in and steady the ship and make sure we make a decent total. I think he should be in the team, but he needs to bat lower in the order.

Beeswax;398981 said:
Pakistan have a good bowling line-up. Lots of interesting options. Depends on which Sami turns up though.

Bad Sami turned up for one over to bowl length at David Hussey and man did it cost him and the team.

One can only applaud Clarke's breadth of vision in playing such a godawful shot at Hafeez. He only sucked up 3 balls. Marvellous.

eddiesmith;398972 said:
No way you go into the side with just Johnson and Tait, it would be Watson who would make way for Smith or maybe Mike Hussey if you wanted to sacrifice the batting, Nannes is Australias most reliable T20 bowler and most likely to keep the economy rate down. Plus if playing the 2 spinners then Smith is playing as the all rounder, not a pure bowler

But you have Hussey, Clarke and Smith, probably no need for Hauritz as well

I was only saying if you wanted to play both spinners.

Watson - our second best T20 batsman and not too bad a bowler either. Discluding him isn't a good idea.

Hussey - Comes in at 6 and scores like crazy. Look at the last match, 17 off 8 balls right at the very end. He does that every game and I have hardly see him fail. I wouldn't sacrifice him for Smith.

Nannes isn't Australia's most reliable bowler. Tait is. Tait is also the most economical. Johnson is more economical than Nannes. Johnson has played more T20Is than Nannes. If you wanted to play two spinners, he would have to be the one to go, either that or Cam White as he hasn't done much of importance for quite a while now in this format and if you want to sacrifice batting.

Saying that, though, the pace bowlers are bowling brilliantly right now. Judging by this, that pace quartet idea would have worked bloody well. Stick with this line up.

MJ is the con artist par excellence with the ball. Almost everybody sees him as a huge risk in t20, but his record is excellent and ALWAYS has been. Any quick bowler who has a era of under 7 and a good strike rate and average is doing a proper job for their team.

He shouldn't be batting at 8 though. Seems to have completely lost his nerve with the bat.

Back