Australian T20I XI - Selection Thread

Re: Australian T20I XI - Selection Thread

Agree, especially lately Johnson has been in some good form.

I think his batting has been found out. He has some pretty big holes in technique and once he started scoring teams seemed to sit up in their seats and noticed he wasn't too bad, worked out some plans to combat it.

He needs time to set himself though. He's not a big hitter from the get go. Also why his ODI batting isn't very good.

Boris;399021 said:
I was only saying if you wanted to play both spinners.

Watson - our second best T20 batsman and not too bad a bowler either. Discluding him isn't a good idea.

Hussey - Comes in at 6 and scores like crazy. Look at the last match, 17 off 8 balls right at the very end. He does that every game and I have hardly see him fail. I wouldn't sacrifice him for Smith.

Nannes isn't Australia's most reliable bowler. Tait is. Tait is also the most economical. Johnson is more economical than Nannes. Johnson has played more T20Is than Nannes. If you wanted to play two spinners, he would have to be the one to go, either that or Cam White as he hasn't done much of importance for quite a while now in this format and if you want to sacrifice batting.

Saying that, though, the pace bowlers are bowling brilliantly right now. Judging by this, that pace quartet idea would have worked bloody well. Stick with this line up.

The pace quartet would never have worked, it never has, you need the variety of the spinner, last night it wasnt the best track for spin, suited Australia alot, be interesting to see how they go at the other venues

But yeah White should definately be on the chopping block, hasnt done anything for a while if you choose to forget his near match winning knock against NZ in Australias last T20I before this tournament, only stopped from being a winning one by Clarke, but still got a tie when no one else was making runs plus with a strike rate of 150, an average of 43 and the teams vice captain, he aint going anywhere

Doubt anyone in the Australian camp would seriously consider dropping Nannes, Johnson has always struggled when asked to open the bowling so really if dropping a fast bowler for a spinner then it would be one of the change bowlers, not the openers

eddiesmith;399035 said:
The pace quartet would never have worked, it never has, you need the variety of the spinner, last night it wasnt the best track for spin, suited Australia alot, be interesting to see how they go at the other venues

But yeah White should definately be on the chopping block, hasnt done anything for a while if you choose to forget his near match winning knock against NZ in Australias last T20I before this tournament, only stopped from being a winning one by Clarke, but still got a tie when no one else was making runs plus with a strike rate of 150, an average of 43 and the teams vice captain, he aint going anywhere

Doubt anyone in the Australian camp would seriously consider dropping Nannes, Johnson has always struggled when asked to open the bowling so really if dropping a fast bowler for a spinner then it would be one of the change bowlers, not the openers

This is all trivial anyway.

White would surely have to be the only batsman even the slightest bit near movable within the team. Warner and Watson pick themselves. Clarke is there whether we like it or not. D.Hussey, as I'm sure you will say, has been performing quite well of late, M.Hussey, reasons given before will always be there while he's at the tournament. I think White is the least performing of them all at this point in time. He performed once last year, against New Zealand, and hasn't had any domestic to back him up.I would never drop if given the choice, but if Smith had to be squeezed in with no bowlers to give way, White's the only choice IMO. White is the lowest in my pecking order, although the Vice Captain thing would mean D.Hussey is moved before him.
As I said, it's trivial and doesn't matter.

Johnson and Tait are the two solid and not droppable bowlers. Once again trivial, but Nannes is the lowest in my pecking order there as well. If Hauritz were to be added and this time a bowler had to give way, it's Nannes. He has the least of form of the three as well. That's not saying much though, his 'lack' of form is only 1 rpo greater than the others. If worst came to worst and the spin was absolutely needed, then it's a cruel cut for mine.

Who would be your two 'lowest in the pecking order' players then, batting and bowing?

Boris;399032 said:
Agree, especially lately Johnson has been in some good form.

I think his batting has been found out. He has some pretty big holes in technique and once he started scoring teams seemed to sit up in their seats and noticed he wasn't too bad, worked out some plans to combat it.

He needs time to set himself though. He's not a big hitter from the get go. Also why his ODI batting isn't very good.

He's not a big hitter from the get-go which is not just down to technique but confidence. Once he has played himself in or warmed himself up, he relies on a very good eye plus a decent range of strokes but he really does need time at the crease, you are right there. It's a shame as when he has played himself in and can hit out, he can be very exciting to watch, can play off the back and front foot with facility. When he is in good nick, he keeps his head very still, which is always a plus, but lately he is like concrete footwise and getting out almost straight away. Not that footwork is his strong point in any case.

Boris;399036 said:

White would surely have to be the only batsman even the slightest bit near movable within the team. Warner and Watson pick themselves. Clarke is there whether we like it or not. D.Hussey, as I'm sure you will say, has been performing quite well of late, M.Hussey, reasons given before will always be there while he's at the tournament. I think White is the least performing of them all at this point in time. He performed once last year, against New Zealand, and hasn't had any domestic to back him up.I would never drop if given the choice, but if Smith had to be squeezed in with no bowlers to give way, White's the only choice IMO. White is the lowest in my pecking order, although the Vice Captain thing would mean D.Hussey is moved before him.

Johnson and Tait are the two solid and not droppable bowlers. Once again trivial, but Nannes is the lowest in my pecking order there as well. If Hauritz were to be added and this time a bowler had to give way, it's Nannes. He has the least of form of the three as well. That's not saying much though, his 'lack' of form is only 1 rpo greater than the others. If worst came to worst and the spin was absolutely needed, then it's a cruel cut for mine.

Who would be your two 'lowest in the pecking order' players then, batting and bowing?

Johnson, Nannes and Tait aren't going anywhere soon. Unless one of them gets injured. Why break up a good team?

It was noticeable that the one 20/20 game that really got away from the Aus bowlers recently, MJ wasn't playing, everyone else including Nannes got smacked around by McCullum and co. A good quality bowler can't be discarded so easily. Though it sounds like Eddiesmith doesn't rate MJ at all so we are looking from different windows at him.

Boris;399036 said:

Probably Mike Hussey for the batting, obviously they knew what to expect and he was probably being rested, but he was only brought in late, wasnt featuring in most of the recent T20 series, but Warner and Watson whilst doing well are the most replacable with the options of promoting Haddin or Clarke

In terms of bowling, well Smith is the lowest in the pecking order of the bowling attack, for just the pace bowling Nannes and Tait are your T20 opening speciallists so I still see Johnson and Watson as most moveable

Johnson may be the senior member, but he has shown a tendancy to get smacked around alot especially in the other forms of the game, really alot like Lee in that sense

eddiesmith;399054 said:
Probably Mike Hussey for the batting, obviously they knew what to expect and he was probably being rested, but he was only brought in late, wasnt featuring in most of the recent T20 series, but Warner and Watson whilst doing well are the most replacable with the options of promoting Haddin or Clarke

In terms of bowling, well Smith is the lowest in the pecking order of the bowling attack, for just the pace bowling Nannes and Tait are your T20 opening speciallists so I still see Johnson and Watson as most moveable

Johnson may be the senior member, but he has shown a tendancy to get smacked around alot especially in the other forms of the game, really alot like Lee in that sense

But not in this form of the game, which I think was Boris' point. Better era than Nannes before, during and after yesterday's game.

I think Watson and Warner are an excellent team as they are, if Clarke has the nerve to put himself at opener, I'll barrack for the opposition.

I think he has the nerve for it, but hopefully sense would prevail.

eddiesmith;399054 said:

M.Hussey is a valid point, the last time he has played T20 in any comp was the game against Sri Lanka last T20WC. He has never really looked particularly flashy in the form, but then again with only a couple of games played nobody really would. I think, like Clarke, he is just a given though. He played WC only it seems and for that reason I think, like it or not, he will be playing the next few games.

Warner is the best batsman in the side by far, and Watson I think just proved his point. White, IMO, is the least effective there, but saying that doesn't mean he shouldn't be in that spot, the worst of a good bunch. Vice captaincy also seems to be a warm up for times to come.

Therefore comes my conclusion to D.Hussey, but saying that doesn't mean he's not any good, just that if I were to do something a bit wacky to my squad, unfortunately he would have to step aside to let that happen.

eddiesmith;399054 said:

Smith is, obviously.

As Beeswax said, Johnson has proved himself better than Nannes, so the cruel position of bottom of the pecking order goes to him. And no, it is just a coincidence they are both Victorian! :D

I'm not going to change the team at all. I just like having a little exercise of ranking people in order of importance, gets the brain thinking about players who you know are safe, and who really is the most susceptible if the selectors pull off something outrageous.

It really is odd, that the one player everyone considers expendable is the one player that is cemented in. Cheers, CA.

Just an interesting little stat for those who claim that Nannes should be the 1st one dropped, definately wont be for Harris though :D, is Australia has never lost a T20I that Dirk Nannes has played in...

Well from the last game it appears eddie that both of us are wrong and right.

Nannes bowled brilliantly and Johnson had a sit out.

M.Hussey batted brilliantly and saved the game.

Touchè. :D

I thought Nannes bowled better against India. Seeing how as Bangladesh always look like headless chooks when faced with pace regardless of who is bowling at them.

That ball to Yuvraj, who looks very out of sorts, almost depressed in his demeanour, was a ripper.

Nannes confidence must be through the roof. Tait is bouncing them out and Nannes is getting them out. It's working so far. It will be interesting when we play a non-sub cont team though.

eddiesmith;399538 said:
Definately best T20 attack, damn they are lucky that Brett Lee broke down

Would have been a four pronged pace attack with Smith missing out. So far this tournament, not much of a loss.

Except Clarke would have bowled Lee more than he does Smith so would have been very costly

When are the selectors going to wake up and realise that Clarke is not up to international 20/20! A strike rate like his is just not acceptable, it puts more pressure on the likes of Warner and Watson to score even faster than they are. Thoughts?

John Carlton;399582 said:
When are the selectors going to wake up and realise that Clarke is not up to international 20/20! A strike rate like his is just not acceptable, it puts more pressure on the likes of Warner and Watson to score even faster than they are. Thoughts?

100% Agree.

Even when on-song I cannot see a place for him in the side, even just as a pure captain.

Cameron White/Brad Haddin/Mike Hussey could do the same job as Clarke in regards to Captaining and are more worthy of selection in the side in the first place than him.

It is getting beyond a joke and I hope all this outside pressure on Clarke to up his scoring rate doesn't jeopardise his ODI and Test performances.

Well I think it's hardly a problem really.

Captains are extremely important in T20s, and Clarke has shown himself to be quite the exceptional captain in this format, really has surprised me. He's not scoring too badly, and has even bumped himself out of the batting line up lately. He's shown a lot of sensibility captaining, batted decently, bowled well and fielded brilliantly.

Nothing has been lost by having him in the team. It's really good to see that everyone is performing, not just a couple of stand out performers. White stood up last night and showed his stuff, and that means that every batsman down the order has now had a good score this series. All the bowlers have also been brilliant. Look at the bowling card from last night, pretty much the story of this series. There is nobody in form troubles, the team doesn't need changing and most importantly nobody can beat them.

I think you could drop the two best performing players in that side and the team would still win. Just goes to show how good Australia is cricket-wise. Lots of respect to the team management for how they have decided to take T20s seriously, and the machine rolls on.

Back