Australisation of Poms

Generations. There's a few out here who will go for the Aussies simply because they've lived here for so long but all the Englishman at my cricket club are going for England as would the majority of those over here at the moment. All the English guys over here support their country in every sport, no matter what it is (rugby, soccer etc), so cricket i no different for them.

Australians are almost the same, the vast majority will go for their country no matter what even if they live abroad. There are a few though who aren't supporting Australia at the moment as they don't like the arrogance of the team or they don't like certain players in the squad which I think is a bit poor.

Yeah, your answer is pretty much what I'd expected. If I for instance emigrated out to OZ wouldn't automatically convert entirely into and Aussie supporter. In the situations where Australia went up against England my alleigances would be with England and I'd half expect my kids to be the same as they're 9 and 12 years old so have some sense of being English. I think I'd readily support Australia in situations where they were playing any other country, just simply because they'd be the country I'd pay my taxes to and voted for and were the country that was giving me the opportunity of a potential decent life etc. I would expect my Grand - children though to grow up as full-on Aussies with little or no alleigances with England.

Yeah, your answer is pretty much what I'd expected. If I for instance emigrated out to OZ wouldn't automatically convert entirely into and Aussie supporter. In the situations where Australia went up against England my alleigances would be with England and I'd half expect my kids to be the same as they're 9 and 12 years old so have some sense of being English. I think I'd readily support Australia in situations where they were playing any other country, just simply because they'd be the country I'd pay my taxes to and voted for and were the country that was giving me the opportunity of a potential decent life etc. I would expect my Grand - children though to grow up as full-on Aussies with little or no alleigances with England.

I'd be surprised if any of your immediate relatives started going for Australia. There's a father and son who I've played a lot of cricket with at my club and both are supporting England even though the son has spent most of his life growing up here. I wouldn't expect any Australians who moved over to England to start going for them either, you support your team through the good times and bad. Unfortunately we've seen a few jump off of late for whatever reason.

They seem to have a much larger/longer loyalty to the motherland compared to other immigrants imo.

^Yep.

I reckon it would be interesting to see if eddiesmith would still support England if the Australian team was filled entirely with his beloved Victorian Bushrangers. ;):D

^Yep.

I reckon it would be interesting to see if eddiesmith would still support England if the Australian team was filled entirely with his beloved Victorian Bushrangers. ;):D

Do you reckon? Do you get many immigrants from Pakistan or India and do they embrace Aussie-ness faster than the English? We have many Immigrants from that part of the world and because back in their home-lands cricket is a big part of their culture they bring that with them over here. I reckon it's wholly understandable that the first wave of immigrants and their children that settle still support the country of their ethinic origins. Moreover I also think because of their differing cultural backgrounds, the affliation with the 'Old country' would remain strong for possibly 2 or 3 generations, especially if they by choice or through social engineering remain in primarily communities made up of their ethnic and geographic background. So I'm surprised that you say that your non-white immigrant population assimilate much quicker and embrace Australia so fast. Perhaps it's got something to do with the lack of a class system in Australia and the fact that people may have better opportunities to progress and make a mark for themselves simply on merit?

I was surprised recently here when Graeme Swann was reported as being shocked at Pakistani fans with 'London Accents'

http://thesun.mobi/sol/homepage/spo...shirts-but-spoke-in-London-accents.html?mob=1

To me it comes down to this idea we've been discussing, it will take possibly generations before the immigrant populations here in the UK assimilate to the point where they feel 'British'. The whole situation is made worse by the ghetto-isation of some of our immigrant communities and the affects of discrimintation and class. I thought Swanns comments were unpalettable and showed his ignorance - it made him sound like Norman Tebbit

So, what do Butt, who was born in London but whose family originate from Pakistan, and Adams, whose family come from South Africa, and millions of other Britons have in common? Well, they all fail the Norman Tebbit cricket test, and come this World Cup many within Britain's minority communities, myself included, will be cheering for a country they have probably visited only a handful of times.
Nine years ago Tebbit, then the doyen of the Tory far-right and harbouring ambitions of leading the party, launched a bitter attack on Britain's minority communities by suggesting they were disloyal to this country because they did not support the England cricket team. Tebbit mentioned Asians in particular but his comments were taken as referring to all non-white communities when he said in a newspaper interview: 'Which side do they cheer for? Were they still harking back to where they came from or where they were?'
It rapidly became known as the Tebbit test and proved to be a cynical use of the race card at a time when there was widespread debate about immigration and government plans to grant British citizenship to 250,000 Hong Kong Chinese.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/1999/may/10/cricket

I reckon he sounds like a bit of Norman Tebbit type to me with dubious political sympathy's.

Do you reckon? Do you get many immigrants from Pakistan or India and do they embrace Aussie-ness faster than the English? We have many Immigrants from that part of the world and because back in their home-lands cricket is a big part of their culture they bring that with them over here.
It's probably more that Poms are just more parochial about the old country. At a guess in WA the most common immigrants would be Kiwis then South Africans and UK.

Back