B C C I Threatened I C C Of A Parallel World Body

BlueBlood

photo.cms

BCCLPatel is also confident that N Srinivasan will become ICC President despite his troubles.

Hyderabad: The BCCI had threatened to form a parallel world cricket body before the England and Australian boards agreed to the controversial restructuring of the ICC and decided to give a lion's share of revenue to the Indian board, said the BCCI secretary Sanjay Patel.

"We got criticised by many in the media and lot of them did not agree but we told them that if India is not getting its proper due and importance proposal then India might be forced to form a second ICC of its own," Patel said. "England and Australia agreed and after that it was decided and from June 27th onwards the new structure will come into place and I would like to state that all 10 full members have signed the resolution," said the BCCI secretary who was the chief guest at the Sports Journalists Federation of India's 37th Annual Convention that concluded here.

There was also no stopping BCCI president-in-exile N Srinivasan from taking over as the first chairman of the ICC later this month in Melbourne as the Supreme Court has not prevented him from doing so, explained Patel.

"By the month end, India will take a leading role in the ICC. Mr Srinivasan is going. There is no Supreme Court bar on him. Both of us are going to Melbourne. In the last four months we have settled (the issue) with all the full members of the ICC and convinced them about the new structure and the new financial model of the ICC which would be followed in the coming years," said Patel while addressing the national sports scribes.

"India would play a leading role in the ICC and the reasons are well known. India is more or less responsible for 68 to 72 percent of the ICC's gross revenue but unfortunately so far we were getting three to four percent of it."

Patel said that a private agency study has found out India's substantial contribution to ICC.

"Srinivasan asked a private agency to study the model and find out who is responsible for what amount and we found that India is responsible for 72 percent and ICC worked out that it was 68 percent. We had a meeting with the ICC officials in Dubai and we informed that 68 to 72 percent is not an issue but it was clear that the majority of the income is coming from India, so why should India take only three to four percent."

"After a lot of deliberations, and Australia and England also joined us and from the projected 2.8 billion dollars approximately for the cycle from 2016 to 2023 we worked out that India should get 24 percent which roughly works out to approximately 700 to 800 million dollars," said Patel.

He also said that as part of the rescheduled Future Tours Programme India would get three major ICC events, including World Cups in the cycle chalked out over the next eight years.

"India has almost worked out the foreign tours programme till 2020. In the period of the next eight years India is likely to get three international events including World Cups." Patel also said that there was a move to relocate the ICC headquarters from Dubai and India was also a contender to house it. "On the topic of moving the ICC headquarters, India is also a contender. By doing this probably India's prominence and leadership in the field of cricket will be at great length and will be beneficial to our boys."

He also hailed IPL-7 that concluded recently as a huge success.

"With a lot of uncertainties and lot of hiccups it was the most successful IPL tournament ever in all aspects. We had to move out of India (to UAE) but it turned out to the best part because the Indian diaspora enjoyed.

"Our ticket revenues were much better than what we had received in 2009 in South Africa, 2.4 times more than SA even though here we had two weeks of IPL as compared to full IPL in SA. Dubai has asked us whether it would be possible to host IPL once every two or three years. They expressed interest in hosting India versus Pakistan ties but the decision lies with the Central Government and only they take a call.

"In 2014 IPL, TV viewers are 189 million as compared to 160m last year. TV ratings gone up by four percentage for the universe and by 12 percentage for the young male audience."

While stating that the investigation into the IPL-6 spot-fixing scandal is sub-judice with the justice Mudgal committee probing it, Patel said Srinivasan was innocent.

"As far as my personal view is concerned, Srinivasan is not guilty but we have to follow the laws of this country and we are abiding this thing. We are hopeful that things will be over by August end. I already mentioned in SC in two of my affadavits that we will give full co-operation which they mentioned in their report. We will provide full co-operation to the second commission (headed by Justice Mudgal) also because we have nothing to hide."

Criticised often for its attitude towards the media, the BCCI has decided to revamp its media department, said Patel. "BCCI is revamping its entire media structure. We have already given one consultant firm to provide us with top class media person and top media PR person for BCCI," he said.

www.gocricket.com/news/latest-news/Cricket-News-BCCI-threatened-ICC-of-a-parallel-world-body/articleshow/36219312.cms

photo.cms

BCCLPatel is also confident that N Srinivasan will become ICC President despite his troubles.

Hyderabad: The BCCI had threatened to form a parallel world cricket body before the England and Australian boards agreed to the controversial restructuring of the ICC and decided to give a lion's share of revenue to the Indian board, said the BCCI secretary Sanjay Patel.

"We got criticised by many in the media and lot of them did not agree but we told them that if India is not getting its proper due and importance proposal then India might be forced to form a second ICC of its own," Patel said. "England and Australia agreed and after that it was decided and from June 27th onwards the new structure will come into place and I would like to state that all 10 full members have signed the resolution," said the BCCI secretary who was the chief guest at the Sports Journalists Federation of India's 37th Annual Convention that concluded here.

There was also no stopping BCCI president-in-exile N Srinivasan from taking over as the first chairman of the ICC later this month in Melbourne as the Supreme Court has not prevented him from doing so, explained Patel.

"By the month end, India will take a leading role in the ICC. Mr Srinivasan is going. There is no Supreme Court bar on him. Both of us are going to Melbourne. In the last four months we have settled (the issue) with all the full members of the ICC and convinced them about the new structure and the new financial model of the ICC which would be followed in the coming years," said Patel while addressing the national sports scribes.

"India would play a leading role in the ICC and the reasons are well known. India is more or less responsible for 68 to 72 percent of the ICC's gross revenue but unfortunately so far we were getting three to four percent of it."

Patel said that a private agency study has found out India's substantial contribution to ICC.

"Srinivasan asked a private agency to study the model and find out who is responsible for what amount and we found that India is responsible for 72 percent and ICC worked out that it was 68 percent. We had a meeting with the ICC officials in Dubai and we informed that 68 to 72 percent is not an issue but it was clear that the majority of the income is coming from India, so why should India take only three to four percent."

"After a lot of deliberations, and Australia and England also joined us and from the projected 2.8 billion dollars approximately for the cycle from 2016 to 2023 we worked out that India should get 24 percent which roughly works out to approximately 700 to 800 million dollars," said Patel.

He also said that as part of the rescheduled Future Tours Programme India would get three major ICC events, including World Cups in the cycle chalked out over the next eight years.

"India has almost worked out the foreign tours programme till 2020. In the period of the next eight years India is likely to get three international events including World Cups." Patel also said that there was a move to relocate the ICC headquarters from Dubai and India was also a contender to house it. "On the topic of moving the ICC headquarters, India is also a contender. By doing this probably India's prominence and leadership in the field of cricket will be at great length and will be beneficial to our boys."

He also hailed IPL-7 that concluded recently as a huge success.

"With a lot of uncertainties and lot of hiccups it was the most successful IPL tournament ever in all aspects. We had to move out of India (to UAE) but it turned out to the best part because the Indian diaspora enjoyed.

"Our ticket revenues were much better than what we had received in 2009 in South Africa, 2.4 times more than SA even though here we had two weeks of IPL as compared to full IPL in SA. Dubai has asked us whether it would be possible to host IPL once every two or three years. They expressed interest in hosting India versus Pakistan ties but the decision lies with the Central Government and only they take a call.

"In 2014 IPL, TV viewers are 189 million as compared to 160m last year. TV ratings gone up by four percentage for the universe and by 12 percentage for the young male audience."

While stating that the investigation into the IPL-6 spot-fixing scandal is sub-judice with the justice Mudgal committee probing it, Patel said Srinivasan was innocent.

"As far as my personal view is concerned, Srinivasan is not guilty but we have to follow the laws of this country and we are abiding this thing. We are hopeful that things will be over by August end. I already mentioned in SC in two of my affadavits that we will give full co-operation which they mentioned in their report. We will provide full co-operation to the second commission (headed by Justice Mudgal) also because we have nothing to hide."

Criticised often for its attitude towards the media, the BCCI has decided to revamp its media department, said Patel. "BCCI is revamping its entire media structure. We have already given one consultant firm to provide us with top class media person and top media PR person for BCCI," he said.

www.gocricket.com/news/latest-news/Cricket-News-BCCI-threatened-ICC-of-a-parallel-world-body/articleshow/36219312.cms
hate that sirinivasam guy

He is a PEST for Indian and world cricket...

There needs to be a royal commission into the governing of the ICC and the BCCI.

How a bloke who is clearly corrupt could even be considered for the highest post in the game is a farce.

The ICC is very close to stinking to high heaven like world football governing body, FIFA.

Ehsan Mani calls BCCI's 'bluff' of parallel ICC

photo.cms

Ehsan Mani calls BCCI's 'bluff' of parallel ICC
Getty ImagesMani said he was "astonished" that the ICC took the BCCI's threat seriously, and that a similar situation had occurred when he was at the helm.

BCCI secretary Sanjay Patel's recent comments about the Indian board threatening to form a parallel world body if the ICC didn't agree to its terms has been met with stern criticism from former ICC president Ehsan Mani.

In an interview with ESPNcricinfo, Mani said he was "astonished" that the ICC took the threat seriously, and said that a similar situation had occurred when he was at the ICC's helm. He said Patel's comments were "laughable".

Mani didn't reveal which country's board had threatened similar action when he was ICC president between 2003 and 2006. "I am talking from personal experience, when I was ICC president, when a country threatened not to take part in ICC events," he was quoted as saying. "And all I did was to speak to other Full Members, and that included countries like England, Australia, Pakistan and West Indies and at that time, and they made it clear to this country that was making threats that they would only work within the ICC and would not break ranks with the ICC. And once this country got that message, it realised its threat was absolutely hollow."

Mani said during his tenure, boards from other countries had come together to stop the Full Member from breaking away, and felt that Australia and England, who together with India form the Big Three, "panicked" when the BCCI made such a threat. "They (the ECB and CA) should have just stopped and thought about what is in the best interest of the game, instead of panicking which they clearly did - and started trying to compromise the organisation... This should have been done pragmatically, looking at the pros and cons. In the very least, the BCCI would have been asked to put its proposals in writing and say fine, we'll look at it, we'll have it analysed, and come back to you. But to actually then delegate England and Australia to talk to the BCCI, they started looking after their own interests."

The BCCI would have "realised once it calmed down that this was a very hollow threat and their whole bluff could be called and they would be embarrassed if it ever got out publicly," Mani said, explaining how the situation could have been avoided.

Mani said attributed the attraction towards the IPL to the participation of foreign players, without whom "it wouldn't be that attractive, it would just be a national tournament being played in India. It's the foreign players that make the difference and what the cricket boards don't appreciate is that without their players or their former players, it (the IPL) wouldn't be as attractive for people to come and watch."

He further explained that the BCCI's plans of staging the IPL twice in a year wouldn't have worked as well, as players from other countries are bound by contractual obligations and "the BCCI would have been liable for huge amount of damages for inducements to break contracts."

Mani agreed to India's financial clout in the game as well as its billion-strong population contributing to majority of its audience, but "it doesn't give the BCCI the ownership of that income of world cricket, which is what they have tried to do now."

www.gocricket.com/news/latest-news/ICC-news--Ehsan-Mani-calls-BCCIs-bluff-of-parallel-ICC/articleshow/36357132.cms

There needs to be a royal commission into the governing of the ICC and the BCCI.

How a bloke who is clearly corrupt could even be considered for the highest post in the game is a farce.

The ICC is very close to stinking to high heaven like world football governing body, FIFA.

I think it is high time for ICC to pass a mandate not to include non-cricketers as members of regional governing bodies... Businessmen like Srinivasan are only interested in their balancesheet and everything is a profit and loss scenario for them....

The cricket world should hang their heads in shame at the spineless actions they have taken in regards to India and the BCCI. This has been the most corrupt and regrettable disaster for cricket and will see the game shrink in its popularity and become nothing more than a betting farce. The ICC will now be lead by a criminal and the BCCI think they should be the great benevolent leader. Place the flags upside down people our game is in distress, this will undo the gains of the past thirty years for the game and return the players to being slaved to the organisation.

I read an article yesterday saying India by the end of this decade will have the 4th most powerful military. Coincidentally I read this post above today and realise there seems to be a connection. At the end of the day the BCCI is ran by these same Indians whom are stockpiling on nuclear weapons if how they conquer cricket is any indication of their plans for world domination then god help us all. Sad to say but I feel these Indians may soon excercise strikes against anyone who opposes them in cricket or elsewhere!

I read an article yesterday saying India by the end of this decade will have the 4th most powerful military. Coincidentally I read this post above today and realise there seems to be a connection. At the end of the day the BCCI is ran by these same Indians whom are stockpiling on nuclear weapons if how they conquer cricket is any indication of their plans for world domination then god help us all. Sad to say but I feel these Indians may soon excercise strikes against anyone who opposes them in cricket or elsewhere!
I have contemplated your post and with the indulgence of the mediators, have some things to say.
Yes, i have many concerns about the BCCI and the new world order of cricket but these are based purely on record of governance and probity as an organisation.
I feel your comments have stepped way over the mark and threaten to be nothing more than bigoted. India is a country that when i traveled there in the 90's, i fell in love with the people, the culture, the spiritual sense of existence in such a poor nation that had a special character to over come its burdens and history. The most happy memory i have is playing beach cricket in Mumbai, or Bombay as it was then, with a group of kids who thought the funniest thing they had seen was a left arm bowler.
Indian cricket is not the issue here. They are passionate and engaging even if we find the arrogance of the national team hard to swallow. The problem is corrupt administration. This is a new era for all cricket and the fact that the corrupt are from India rather than England or Australia is also a non issue. It is that self interest is killing the game i love for short term profit.
Cricket is fantastic, from sitting in Nehru stadium at Pune with a bad dose of Deli belly to the 1983 Ashes at the Gabba with my Dad, this game has bought me so many great memories on and off the field. I am just a sentimental guy and don't want to loose those special memories.

I have contemplated your post and with the indulgence of the mediators, have some things to say.
Yes, i have many concerns about the BCCI and the new world order of cricket but these are based purely on record of governance and probity as an organisation.
I feel your comments have stepped way over the mark and threaten to be nothing more than bigoted. India is a country that when i traveled there in the 90's, i fell in love with the people, the culture, the spiritual sense of existence in such a poor nation that had a special character to over come its burdens and history. The most happy memory i have is playing beach cricket in Mumbai, or Bombay as it was then, with a group of kids who thought the funniest thing they had seen was a left arm bowler.
Indian cricket is not the issue here. They are passionate and engaging even if we find the arrogance of the national team hard to swallow. The problem is corrupt administration. This is a new era for all cricket and the fact that the corrupt are from India rather than England or Australia is also a non issue. It is that self interest is killing the game i love for short term profit.
Cricket is fantastic, from sitting in Nehru stadium at Pune with a bad dose of Deli belly to the 1983 Ashes at the Gabba with my Dad, this game has bought me so many great memories on and off the field. I am just a sentimental guy and don't want to loose those special memories.

I stand to be corrected. Giving it a go with the cleanest of a conscience.

We need to realise that the culture in India has been historically plagued with social standing, the 'Caste System' while it has been outlawed since around the 50's or so is till a part of the Indian culture. We must realise that the population is basically split in two sections, the poor and the rich basically middle class is non-existent. These 'rich' folks like those that govern the BCCI are the problematic ones with beliefs of conquering and making slaves of the minions, this is their culture.

It really makes me sad to see all those poor people in the stands to witness a game of cricket they love and the BCCI management swindles all the money leaving nothing for them. At the end of the day Indians are the most passionate fans of the game we all love but sadly they're being used.

Back