B & C Grade 2013/2014

No umpire is ever going to get 100% of decisions right 100% of the time. At any level, anywhere.

Like players, some will be better than others and will umpire higher grades and you can't help getting the lesser skilled umpires in lower grades. It's all part of the level of cricket we play.

The only thing you can hope for is that the umps are consistent, if they give howlers to both sides then so be it, stiff ****, move on. If they give them or don't give them, so long as they're consistent across both innings you can't really complain.

It's only when one side gets 5 LBW's and another gets none given (for example) because the ump doesn't like a bloke/club that you can really kick up a stink. And there are avenues of appeal for that with the reports, etc. so that shouldn't go unpunished (if that's the right word) if captains/clubs go about it the right way.

I'm with Tongs - Actually can't believe how stupid that whole 'don't call no balls' thing is. Seriously?

Spot on. Players make mistakes every week, umpires do the same. Neither do it on purpose (you hope) and so you wear a good one here or there, and a bad one here or there. At the end of the day, the game wouldn't be anywhere near as even as it is now if all the umpires walked away and we umpired our own game.

Just on decisions etc. I have to give a pump up to an oppostion player from the weekend. I personally took a catch on the fence on saturday about an inch off the ground. One that would have been very difficult for the umpire/bastmen to see if it was caught. The bastmen, Jarrod Curtis, who was on 65 at the time stood his ground, questioned if it was a catch and the minute i said that i took it fairly, he turned and walked off, no issues. He could have quite easily have tried to argue the point, but was satisfied with my word. Great sportsmanship!

There is a fundamental flaw in ur argument dave. Buddy franklin plays Aussie rules footy. So does fred smith in the ressies at sth morang. One guy gets 1.1mill a year and the other gets a beer and a pie each sat. Why? The answer is obvious. Test match umpires would be on around 100k a year at a complete guess? There are levels in every position or job and sometimes certain employees do a better job than others and therefare rewarded better. Management vs regular employee. I dont think its unreasonable to reward the higher umps for the grade they are achieving. Mind u, there mite need to be 3 or 4 observers not 1 and much more importance and necessity placed on clubs and captains to fill out extensive umpires reports. If i umpire b or c grade for rest of this season id be happy to get 20 or 40 bucks less per game while im earning my stripes. Everyone starts somewhere and as long as potential and good performances are rewarded swiftly, new umps will jump on board. U took a catch without keepers gloves on? Stiff jarrod..

Very silly argument. One plays AFL for a living. The other plays NFL for fun. You're comparing that to two blokes both umpiring DVCA.

An umpire in A Grade is not management. If they they think they're that good and deserve more money, go chase it at district/state level.

If you pay more for the higher grades, umpire numbers will decrease in the lower grades. And let's be honest, if they let you do it, they're already struggling for numbers already. :D

While we are all moaning and carrying on about howlers maybe some of us need to look at ourselves.
A little honesty would help the umpires no end. Some will tell me I'm stupid and to take what you can get away with but it's only park cricket.
Yes I play c grade mainly and I've come to the point where if I have to cheat to win I may as well walk away. I'll get my howlers but some of the other ways I've been dismissed are just as bad.

Lets agree to disagree david. ive only been umpiring for 5 minutes and its just a thought on how to recruit more guys by dangling a carrot if ur good enough, same as players getting paid to play our 'park cricket' as u often call it. Minney gets more than u cos he's better. Gibbs got more than me cos he was better even tho we did same job (capt coach) at same level. And yeh ill cop ur sledge on numbers (insert smiley face)! But i can't play anymore so i may as well help out, get a few bucks (which gets donated to the tab) and add to the so called 'howlers' being mentioned by everyone - which by the way isnt true. And just in case davo or dicky are perusing the bc world, the umpiring world is terrific and enjoyable and well run!!!

Hows joseland look today snowy? I thought Rosanna had them on toast.
Ill give my unbiased umpires opinion first. Techniquely correct, very solid. Opinion as a past player, pretty much same. Word of advice to bowlers. PITCH UP! Must have hit 45-50 runs square of wicket (hook/pull/cut). As most ex turf players find, if u pitch up driving is hard. But similar to skips. If not out in first half hour, only he gets himself out. Mind you he came in at 5/80 odd after rob virtue and Howie smashed the ball everywhere and the ball was ted! Be a bit harder at number 3 where im lead to believe he normally bats. Impressed with mill park. Rosanna too but losing a few good players I hear now

Ill give my unbiased umpires opinion first. Techniquely correct, very solid. Opinion as a past player, pretty much same. Word of advice to bowlers. PITCH UP! Must have hit 45-50 runs square of wicket (hook/pull/cut). As most ex turf players find, if u pitch up driving is hard. But similar to skips. If not out in first half hour, only he gets himself out. Mind you he came in at 5/80 odd after rob virtue and Howie smashed the ball everywhere and the ball was ted! Be a bit harder at number 3 where im lead to believe he normally bats. Impressed with mill park. Rosanna too but losing a few good players I hear now

How much do you rate yourself? really? you have an average park cricket record at best and now you pass judgement on a guy who represented the state, in your opinion a guy who played for VICTORIA as a batsman will find it hard at number 3 in B grade DVCA?

How much do you rate yourself? really? you have an average park cricket record at best and now you pass judgement on a guy who represented the state, in your opinion a guy who played for VICTORIA as a batsman will find it hard at number 3 in B grade DVCA?

Bulls eye!!!!!!!! An ok player in the valley whos legacy will forever have nothing to do with his average cricketing ability, but probably his many many many indiscretions, is rating a bloke of good character and whos achieved something with his ability. what a joke. Stick to your average umpiring in B grade where you belong.

And yet we all sit thereand say "Phil Hughes is shit... he can't play a short ball". Watson isn't up to it.. Khawaja can't hack it in test cricket...

We all sit there and pass judgement on sportsmen far better than ourselves be it cricket, afl etc etc. Whats more.. I asked him how he went. Although I think coming in at 5-80 is probably harder than at 1-10 in many respects. 187 runs for 1 dismissal probably suggests if you don't get him out very early you are in all sorts of problems.

i got asked for an opinion moron and as im standing in the best position possible i gave one and i did say he was very solid and correct. what has my record as a cricketer got anything to do with it? and batting at number 3 in any form of game is harder than at 7 or are you another ghost who hides down the order playing for red inks? as for u henderson we all know ur a shit stirring fool who wouldnt know the toe from the handle on a cricket bat!!

i got asked for an opinion moron and as im standing in the best position possible i gave one and i did say he was very solid and correct. what has my record as a cricketer got anything to do with it? and batting at number 3 in any form of game is harder than at 7 or are you another ghost who hides down the order playing for red inks? as for u henderson we all know ur a shit stirring fool who wouldnt know the toe from the handle on a cricket bat!!

just dont get ahead of yourself, you weren't that good....and getting called a moron by you..WOW

just dont get ahead of yourself, you weren't that good....and getting called a moron by you..WOW
Again i was asked for an opinion, unlike you, and i gave one. And again i never spoke about myself or my cricket resume. And if ur happy to reveal ur cricket resume (and name) we can compare if u like?

All respect to you Steve in deciding to give back to a game we are all passionate about. But umpires needs to be the ultimate profession

All respect to you Steve in deciding to give back to a game we are all passionate about. But umpires needs to be the ultimate professionals, be respectable, show unbiased views, actions and communication. In my opinion umpires should not get involved in this cricket site, but that is your choice. But to get on here on call people morons is a little rich. Ok blokes have had a crack at you based on your public past but sadly you will never stop that. You just need to get past the people who judge you and get on with life and umpiring, you hold a position of power and can't take advantage of that. I'm sure if you spoke on game day to players like you have in your above post, I am not sure you will be umpiring for long. I wish you the best umpiring but maybe you should just worry about that and not the blokes who are just trying to stir the pot and get you to react.

All respect to you Steve in deciding to give back to a game we are all passionate about. But umpires needs to be the ultimate profession

All respect to you Steve in deciding to give back to a game we are all passionate about. But umpires needs to be the ultimate professionals, be respectable, show unbiased views, actions and communication. In my opinion umpires should not get involved in this cricket site, but that is your choice. But to get on here on call people morons is a little rich. Ok blokes have had a crack at you based on your public past but sadly you will never stop that. You just need to get past the people who judge you and get on with life and umpiring, you hold a position of power and can't take advantage of that. I'm sure if you spoke on game day to players like you have in your above post, I am not sure you will be umpiring for long. I wish you the best umpiring but maybe you should just worry about that and not the blokes who are just trying to stir the pot and get you to react.
Mate appreciate words but if you and others read post, I gave my 'umpires' opinion first which is exactly how I would talk to all players during a game. Ive already been sworn at twice by players on game day at not reacted where some umpires of the past may have reported straight away. Its a tricky gig sometimes but one im glad I took up. You are right with all u said re umpiring and position it entails. Therefore I wont discuss ins and outs of games I umpire but am happy to give opinions on players I see. Surely its not a new thing to pitch the ball up to good batsmen? As for the morons, if the people who wear clokes and masks revealed themselves or approached me on a weekend they would get my respect, even if they did slag me or offer advice. Check tongs phone. Ive copped plenty from him and will gladly do so because he is genuine and upfront and although he is a poo batsman, he has my respect and vice versa. Cant say the same for many others!

Mate appreciate words but if you and others read post, I gave my 'umpires' opinion first which is exactly how I would talk to all players during a game. Ive already been sworn at twice by players on game day at not reacted where some umpires of the past may have reported straight away. Its a tricky gig sometimes but one im glad I took up. You are right with all u said re umpiring and position it entails. Therefore I wont discuss ins and outs of games I umpire but am happy to give opinions on players I see. Surely its not a new thing to pitch the ball up to good batsmen? As for the morons, if the people who wear clokes and masks revealed themselves or approached me on a weekend they would get my respect, even if they did slag me or offer advice. Check tongs phone. Ive copped plenty from him and will gladly do so because he is genuine and upfront and although he is a poo batsman, he has my respect and vice versa. Cant say the same for many others!

Why check tongs phone? has he copped the schwarz treatment too? Just like in a game, in real life umpires should be seen and not heard. Umpires getting on social media and commenting on a players ability is just not on. I don't care if they asked you. If your so honest in your answers, and you want everyone to reveal who they are on here, tell us if all those other profiles that were created and everyone said was you were you?

Back