Back Foot Drive

Jonesy

Back Foot Drive

I reckon this shot is one of the most under-used out there, maybe just from what I see in my level, but you hardly ever see it played, and it's a shame. I personally play this shot heaps, it is my best shot and I time it so well even when out of form, and it's great to use against spinners. Just wondering, do any of you guys play the shot?

Re: Back Foot Drive

Not often, i can play it quite well. But i prefer to play on the front foot or cut off the back. But it is a useful shot, and like you say very under used in my grade

Yeh, it's great to use when it's too close or too low to cut but still on the offside.

Yeah, i like to play it behind or through square, where there are very few fielders, especially if they put a lot of men in front of the bat.

I generally dont play much of the backfoot shots as we dont get much bounce. If its too short I pull or cut. But when we are playing with a tennis ball its useful.

One of my favourite shots;diffcult to master it as the tendency to play the cut shot is always there.
But i try to play it especially against leg/left arm spinners.

GREAT shot.... played it twice a couple of games back... each one resulting in a 4 through covers (or over either one :p)...

extremely under used considering the amount of runs it can bring if u play it right

Yeah, all you have to know is how to play the backward defence, and just add a little power to it. Thats basically all you are doing, turning defence into attack

This is a shot I need to play more - I am prone to cutting it when it is too close to my body and edging behind.

yeah practice in the nets m8... then bring it into your game.... the back foot drive helps me big time against a spinner that bowls a shortish one strayin a bit outside off.

Jonesy said:
I reckon this shot is one of the most under-used out there, maybe just from what I see in my level, but you hardly ever see it played, and it's a shame. I personally play this shot heaps, it is my best shot and I time it so well even when out of form, and it's great to use against spinners. Just wondering, do any of you guys play the shot?

Got any tips for how you play the shot?

Umm, I dunno, it's really just natural for me, but I'll try.

- Don't back foot drive anything about your hip, defend or pull.
- Don't play with your bat too far in front of you.
- Get right next to the ball.

I dunno what else, it helps a lot if your bat has a lowish middle as you really can get power from it.

Sorry I can't really help, it's just one of those things that clicked from day 1 of trying it, and I've never had to try to improve on it cos I never am out of form with the shot.

jonesy i played a back foot drive through covers with a ball about waist height.... on off... some of really well..

It's a shot that is really only a viable option on bouncy pitches.

Don't throw your hands at the ball- play it as late as possible.

AUSSIE_BOY said:
jonesy i played a back foot drive through covers with a ball about waist height.... on off... some of really well..

Yeh I was saying that generally, but playing it above your waist you can't get maximum power. Some how have the talent for it, like us two, can play it higher xD

Bouncy pitches? Hmm, I find it is easier to play on turf than the very bouncy synthetic pitches, because they don't bounce as much. I don't see how it is easier on bouncy pitches, if anything I reckon it's harder.

Back