Back foot problems

Re: Back foot problems

Hi LtD, yes am in UK and no not playing yet, been asked to play next season so am desperately trying to get back some of what I had all those years ago.

And a big thanks to you by the way..........

Been in the nets and on a dry pitch since last on BC trying the small back and side step before the bowler releases the ball (just before) and its worked!!!!

My timing on shots has greatly improved and I've been able to cover drive, loft shots and once again been able to cut. Did however get out LBW on back leg though but had played some shots off the pads prior to that.

I find that the movement has not only allowed me to be better balanced and have better timing but I seem to be able to see the direction of the bowl sooner, legside and offside and adjust accordingly. Before I seemed to be in position on the fron foot early, be comitted to the shot and unable to adjust. Don't get me wrong, I know I've still got lots of work to do but its so nice to be better balanced and feel the ball coming off the bat so sweetly again.

THanks LtD

I think the problem is to do with a lack of speed, obviously being out of the game for so long, you've lost the ability to move the feet quick enough. You need to practice moving your feet, stand out of your crease when practicing and get a feeling of the ball coming a bit quicker, don't play the big shots, concerntrait on moving the feet and getting bat to ball. I always felt Grag Chappell was one of the best at moving his feet, always his first movement was forward, if the ball is pitched up meeting the ball gave you better timing, if the ball is pitched short, you have time to get back on your backfoot...practise getting on the front foot and them moving quicly back on your back foot, once you have that feet movement happening, the quick balls don't seem as fast and you have more time to play them.

Little Big Kahuna;376028 said:
Hi LtD, yes am in UK and no not playing yet, been asked to play next season so am desperately trying to get back some of what I had all those years ago.

And a big thanks to you by the way..........

Been in the nets and on a dry pitch since last on BC trying the small back and side step before the bowler releases the ball (just before) and its worked!!!!

My timing on shots has greatly improved and I've been able to cover drive, loft shots and once again been able to cut. Did however get out LBW on back leg though but had played some shots off the pads prior to that.

I find that the movement has not only allowed me to be better balanced and have better timing but I seem to be able to see the direction of the bowl sooner, legside and offside and adjust accordingly. Before I seemed to be in position on the fron foot early, be comitted to the shot and unable to adjust. Don't get me wrong, I know I've still got lots of work to do but its so nice to be better balanced and feel the ball coming off the bat so sweetly again.

THanks LtD

No problem, batting is about keeping it simple, there are exceptions with genius players (Lara comes to mind with his massive backlift that arced out to gully), but generally the simplest techniques are the best.

Another thing to remember is the position of your head, or more specifically your eyes.

For example, with right handed batsmen it is very common to see players in club cricket who inhibit ther batting through the position of their eyes.

If a player faces up right handed, he is looking over his left shoulder as the bowler runs in. Often these batsmen are only looking out through one eye, if that makes sense.

A better way is to turn your head so your entire head is facing the bowler - therefore both eyes are locked on the bowler rather then just one and a half.

It may sound silly, but it is a common flaw in peoples techniques. It is always best to open your stance a bit to allow both eyes to face the bowler.

Also, dont forget to watch the ball in the bowlers hand as he runs into bowl, and then follow it as he realises it down the pitch. Once again, yu'll be surprised how many batsmen dont watch the ball out of the hand, they just watch the general area.

Work on doing that, watching the ball RIGHT ONTO the face of the bat.

Hi Collingwood, thanks for that. Yes my timing and I guess my speed was out (I'm hoping after two good net sessions and a drypitch session where I was hitting the ball well, has moved me forward after applying LtD's back and sideways movement), and I guess that is to be expected, afterall most of my life seems to have slowed down!

Taking your thoughts though, this is why I was thinking about a lighter bat. Would that help I wonder? Or would that mean that I would end up rying to hit the ball harder and then lose technique?

I was hoping to have a coaching session this week (tonight in fact) but that's been cancelled so I still don't have a professional eye on it yet.

I must add that I am feeling more confident again, which I think everyone recognises is a key factor to good batting.

Thanks

Hi LtD, yes totally understand and I will check to see what I am doing with my head. I have also made a determined effort to watch the ball from the bowlers hand, even saying to myself 'ball!'

I have passed on your 'movement' tip to my son who plays for the under 15's and the last session in the nets has been his most consistant. Thanks again and will keep you informed once the season starts. Cheers

Little Big Kahuna;376322 said:
Hi Collingwood, thanks for that. Yes my timing and I guess my speed was out (I'm hoping after two good net sessions and a drypitch session where I was hitting the ball well, has moved me forward after applying LtD's back and sideways movement), and I guess that is to be expected, afterall most of my life seems to have slowed down!

Taking your thoughts though, this is why I was thinking about a lighter bat. Would that help I wonder? Or would that mean that I would end up rying to hit the ball harder and then lose technique?

I was hoping to have a coaching session this week (tonight in fact) but that's been cancelled so I still don't have a professional eye on it yet.

I must add that I am feeling more confident again, which I think everyone recognises is a key factor to good batting.

Thanks

I think you need to use a bat that feels good for you, if that happens to be lighter, so be it... but if a heavy bat feels better or something in between I'd go with that. Don't take a lighter bat because you think you'll be able to move your feet better, really the differences with the bat weight is more to do with the back lift, if your not used to a heavy bat, over time you'll feel it harder to lift it up, like your doing your last set of weights at the gym... you don't want that, especially if your going to be batting for some time. Feeling comfortable is more important, just push the ball around... limit your back lift, so you have a bit more time to meet the ball and just push forward.

Ok, whether or not you have sorted your problem out or not i find it easier to step forward first then if you have to come off your back foot greg chappell used this to perfection you body weight is forward so that way the bat comes through with your weight behind the bat and if the ball is pitched short you have plenty of time to rock back for the pull or hook, so who knows give it a try:)

Back