Back foot shots against a quicker bowler

maverick

Back foot shots against a quicker bowler

Hello,

I hope everyone is doing well. Last weekend, I was facing a relatively quick bowler for the first time and I struggled to play his short of length balls. I use a trigger movement much like the one suggested by Gary Palmer here. So I go back during my trigger movement with my weight already on the back foot, then I find it difficult to get into position for balls which are on off stump or outside off (to defend or to drive). It feels awkward to have to lift back leg up, transfer weight to the front foot and get behind the line. Do I need to just get used to it and move my feet quicker? or I am doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Back foot shots against a quicker bowler

Sounds like you are not getting the balance right. It takes practice with a lot of grooving to get the timing perfect.

At the point of delivery your weight should be evenly distributed between your feet, be on the balls of your feet and have your head over your front foot. For there you can move forward or back. I wold guess you are planting and getting stuck.

Can you get on a bowling machine?

hey,

thanks (David, right?). I will give bowling machine a go, and also perhaps its time to start 'sock' practice. I guess I was getting frustrated because I wasn't timing well.

Cheers

The machine is the way to go, sock practice is rubbish for timing your trigger. You need to be on your toes at the point of delivery, that's a matter of practice.

Back