Back Here Again.... See My Latest Video.

highesteem1

Dear Leggies

Back here again....:) with Lots of HOPE
I know only Practice n Practice (ofcourse in right direction n methodically) can make me perfect in modern days cricket world as leggie. Many of you have seen my prev videos in past.

I am initiating a new discussion here about "what are the probs/ difficulties a young Leggie can face during their early developmental phase". ((which in past, discussants have pointed out for many bowlers in this forum)). feel free to dissect/ critical about various aspect of Leg spin. I AM READY TO BE A CASE STUDY FOR YOU TO DISCUSS ON BEHALF OF ALL YOUNG BOWLERS.

All serious discussant please JOIN and help us to grow further

best

Here is 2 of my Latest Videos

Legspin Slow motion view_4.5.13 http://youtu.be/pxMxPgFf9AE

Legspin Practice 31.03.13. http://youtu.be/yLNTL2y1Z4k

First of all you've a great action, very like Kumble, but just remember to spin the ball the hard.

The biggest problems that young spin bowlers face:

1. Too much advice: it can get really confusing with everyone telling you what they think. It's important that no matter what people tell you that you think it through for yourself.
2. Growing up: you're going to get taller and stronger and this will have an effect on your bowling. Don't get down if one day you wake up 10cm taller and you can't bowl like you used too, keep up your practice and you should be all right.
3. Too much too soon: sometimes you'll want to try every variation out there because you may have seen it on TV, trying these new variation is great fun but sometimes you'll forget to practice the basic deliveries. Always remember that your legbreak comes first and that's the one that should get the most practice.

First of all you've a great action, very like Kumble, but just remember to spin the ball the hard.

The biggest problems that young spin bowlers face:

1. Too much advice: it can get really confusing with everyone telling you what they think. It's important that no matter what people tell you that you think it through for yourself.
2. Growing up: you're going to get taller and stronger and this will have an effect on your bowling. Don't get down if one day you wake up 10cm taller and you can't bowl like you used too, keep up your practice and you should be all right.
3. Too much too soon: sometimes you'll want to try every variation out there because you may have seen it on TV, trying these new variation is great fun but sometimes you'll forget to practice the basic deliveries. Always remember that your legbreak comes first and that's the one that should get the most practice.

Dear L..600

true u r absolutely true. Every body must follow this basic rule.... may be more helpful particularly YOUNGONES who are trying to revitalise this art of legspin.

Dear

Help my son to correct few things ...
  1. Just after pivoting of left foot, Rt foot goes towards cover/ point direction instead of towards the batsman. His thrust is not towards batsman. How to correct it? suggest specific drills.
  2. while practicing TWO STEP DRILL ball gets more turn than while full run up bowling. Any specific reason apart from the strengthissues of shoulder/ wrist?
best

Dear

Help my son to correct few things ...
  1. Just after pivoting of left foot, Rt foot goes towards cover/ point direction instead of towards the batsman. His thrust is not towards batsman. How to correct it? suggest specific drills.
  2. while practicing TWO STEP DRILL ball gets more turn than while full run up bowling. Any specific reason apart from the strengthissues of shoulder/ wrist?
best

1. From what I saw in the videos there's nothing to be worried, lots of young legspinners nearly throw themselves off their feet trying to spin the ball. What you are seeing is a young body not being able to balance the hip and arm coming round with the forward momentum toward the batsman. As your boy gets older and stronger this issue should go away

2. This is a timing/feel thing, when you're learning it's hard to differentiate between spinning the ball and bowling faster. Sometimes young spinners think they're spinning the ball hard because they can 'feel' like they're doing something when they're not actually adding any extra spin at all. Your boy may just need to slow down his action a little but this is something that's best handled by a coach while he's practicing. More spin doesn't necessarily mean a better spinner.

I'm increasingly cautious about handing out advice, but would reiterate the point Leftie makes about the growth spurt thing and the loss of all you know because of the growth spurt as that should be happening soon by the looks of things. But yeah, it looks very good at the moment, how do you do against good batsmen?

I'm increasingly cautious about handing out advice, but would reiterate the point Leftie makes about the growth spurt thing and the loss of all you know because of the growth spurt as that should be happening soon by the looks of things. But yeah, it looks very good at the moment, how do you do against good batsmen?

Hi Dave
seeing ur response in my section after long time. Yesss in recent times he has been picked for higher age group (under 16) tournaments. Doing reasonably well most of the time used as 2nd change bowler slot. last week had a 5 wicket haul against a formidable u 16 club side of Delhi. 6-1-22-5.
Today only he is captaining his side for a u 13 tournament(30 over), mainly been tried to see his batting caliber. scored 53 run not out in 73 ball. AND bowling figure is 4-1-4-4.
We are also In touch with Stu. BUT response time is quite slow ....must be too occupied in his cricket hang out.

Hi Dave
seeing ur response in my section after long time. Yesss in recent times he has been picked for higher age group (under 16) tournaments. Doing reasonably well most of the time used as 2nd change bowler slot. last week had a 5 wicket haul against a formidable u 16 club side of Delhi. 6-1-22-5.
Today only he is captaining his side for a u 13 tournament(30 over), mainly been tried to see his batting caliber. scored 53 run not out in 73 ball. AND bowling figure is 4-1-4-4.
We are also In touch with Stu. BUT response time is quite slow ....must be too occupied in his cricket hang out.

Highesteem, I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination and now that I'm involved in helping kids at my club with their bowling the more I'm inclined not to interfere with what they do if it works for them. There's a lot of info amongst these threads and lots of ideas and it is easy to become over-burdened with ideas and tweaks. I would say that if you're producing those kind of figures against boys from an older age group and the 4 wicket haul against your own age group, you're not doing a lot wrong and I'd settle with what you're doing at the moment and see how it goes. But if you press me - I would only reiterate the point that Macgill made with regards the leg going through straight, as opposed to swinging out and round. I'd suggest trying it and seeing if it makes any noticeable improvements, but if not go back to what you're doing now as it seems to be fine with those bowling figures. Yes Stuart does seem to be very busy and I'm not surprised seeing as he has made himself so available to the whole world! It's a very commendable thing to do and goes to show what a good bloke he is. I'm hoping that it might spur him to take up the role that Jenner used to play within the wrist spin community and start travelling the world doing master-classes? But I believe he has a young family, so that may be some time yet, we'll just have to wait and see.

You're right here Dave, advice should only be given once a problem has been identified with 100% certaintly. Otherwise it more often than not does more harm than good. If kids are doing things like bowling wides, long hops, getting caught, getting bowled, and the reason why is obvious (eg poor alignment at the crease, playing across the line etc), then intervene straight away. Otherwise bide your time.

Back