Barclay Shield 2013/2014

Selections:

Interesting that we have two of the established DVCA clubs matched up against two of the newer (from HDCA) clubs. Great to see !

Diamond Creek vs Rosanna - This will be a grind em out affair with the Creekers moving into another grannie.
Lower Eltham vs Macleod - Think the Lower boys bat much deeper than Macleod and this will get them over the line.

Also congrats to Diamond Creek, along with Mill Park and Whittlesea, to be the only clubs have their top two sides in the finals.

Selections:

Interesting that we have two of the established DVCA clubs matched up against two of the newer (from HDCA) clubs. Great to see !

Diamond Creek vs Rosanna - This will be a grind em out affair with the Creekers moving into another grannie.
Lower Eltham vs Macleod - Think the Lower boys bat much deeper than Macleod and this will get them over the line.

Also congrats to Diamond Creek, along with Mill Park and Whittlesea, to be the only clubs have their top two sides in the finals.

Don't think the Rosanna score will be a real challenge for Creek and should see the favs advance easily to the grannie.
Very competative score by Rosanna and puts the real pressure on Lower. Maybe a case of score on the board counts here.

And apologies to Lalor Stars and Bundoora United who also both had their top two sides in the finals.

Selections:

Don't think the Rosanna score will be a real challenge for Creek and should see the favs advance easily to the grannie.
Very competative score by Rosanna and puts the real pressure on Lower. Maybe a case of score on the board counts here.

And apologies to Lalor Stars and Bundoora United who also both had their top two sides in the finals.

No need to apologise, but we now have 1's, 2's and 3's in the GF.

Congratulations to both Diamond Creek and Lower Eltham on making it through to the Final.
Best 2 teams all year and winners of the last to flags.

Match confirmed to be played at Lwr Eltham!!

Very interesting decision by DVCA to hand lower placed teams in both Barclay and Money a home final!

Good luck to both teams

Some interesting scores across the grades after Day 1 of the grand finals.

Also, anyone can confirm a rumor heard yesterday at the local of a fracas at one of the finals on Saturday ?

A bit of a surprise, but none the less congratulations to Epping's John Lever on winning the Ray Christesen Medal from Shannon Malone, Tim Wise and Glenn Turner. Maybe the two Rsearch boys pulled votes from each other ?
And the Team of the Season - Tim Wise (C), Brent O'Connor, John Lever, Justin Whitcher, Dale Campbell, Robert Wise, Glenn Turner, Shannon Malone, Jack Young, Zaen Talib and Houssam Almatrah.

Congrats to Lower Eltham and Bundoora United on their well deserved wins. Also well done John Lever, great player.

The Team of the Year, who picks that?? 9 bowlers? and a keeper who doesnt bat? do we have a pom on the selection panel!!!!!
Tom Mclean?? 298 runs not good enough?

When the shield was awarded on Saturday , i was thinking that it would have been a nice touch that medallions were individually awarded to the winning players after the game.
Thoughts ?

The Team of the Year, who picks that?? 9 bowlers? and a keeper who doesnt bat? do we have a pom on the selection panel!!!!!
Tom Mclean?? 298 runs not good enough?

In all fairness, half of those "Bowlers" are bloody good batsmen too. It was just one of those years where the better players for the year were all rounders.

I do tend to agree about the comment on having a keeper who doesn't bat, but Almatrah is the best sole keeper.

Whilst I thought the team of the year was a fantastic idea, I would've thought that each player could've got a small trophy or something with their name and the side on it, to have something to keep as a memory of making the side.

In all fairness, half of those "Bowlers" are bloody good batsmen too. It was just one of those years where the better players for the year were all rounders.

I do tend to agree about the comment on having a keeper who doesn't bat, but Almatrah is the best sole keeper.

Whilst I thought the team of the year was a fantastic idea, I would've thought that each player could've got a small trophy or something with their name and the side on it, to have something to keep as a memory of making the side.

I think all players should be commended for being named, a simple certificate in $2 frame would get the job done!! but definately they should get something.

I like the team of the year idea, the selectors should pick the best side, and not worry about having too many players from 1 club or the whole team from 3 or 4 clubs....i also think the average winners should not be walkup starts.

I think all players should be commended for being named, a simple certificate in $2 frame would get the job done!! but definately they should get something.

I like the team of the year idea, the selectors should pick the best side, and not worry about having too many players from 1 club or the whole team from 3 or 4 clubs....i also think the average winners should not be walkup starts.
A good start would also be doing their utmost to make sure the medal winners attend. Would have been nice for Fox Barnett to present the Ray Christesen medal to the actual winner instead of him being at home watching the footy on TV.

A good start would also be doing their utmost to make sure the medal winners attend. Would have been nice for Fox Barnett to present the Ray Christesen medal to the actual winner instead of him being at home watching the footy on TV.

Yeah that was pretty ordinary. For the biggest medal to be presented on the night and the winner to not be there, it was a little embarrassing. It made it almost a non event after such a close vote count.

Barclay Shield:

Lower Eltham (9/213) have claimed the Barclay Shield premiership for 2013/2014. Starting the day at 7 for 179, Lower Eltham scored another 34 runs off the remaining 7 overs to set Diamond Creek 214 for victory. Dale Campbell (5/42) picked up the last two wickets to end up with a five wicket haul.

In reply, Diamond Creek (184) were put under pressure with the early loss of Jacob Ireland (5), Harley Smith (0) and Daniel Taylor (17). When Thomas McLean (9) was run out, Diamond Creek had fell to 4 for 43 with the required run rate becoming a concern.

Joshua Adams (61) and Justin Benney (24) set about resurrecting the innings with a 63-run partnership before Benney was dismissed by Jarrod Curtis (1/27). As Diamond Creek looked to lift the scoring rate it was Ryan Sneddon (4/23) who proved the difference taking the next four wickets to put a stop to any late surge from Diamond Creek. Chris Salvatore (3/42) eventually wrapped up the innings in the 2nd last over with Diamond Creek 29 runs short.

From the DVCA website

Back