Batting faster

Sean

Batting faster

How do I bat faster? I can stay in for ages, but I just can't seem to score runs.

I'm a fin blocker, but that's all I do. Block!

For example, last year I hit 7 runs off something like 20 overs.

Re: Batting faster

lol, what kinds of matches do you play? Tests? ODI's? 20-20's?
If you want to bat "faster" then I suggest you take a kind of offensive stance, don't be too worried about protecting your wicket.
Take some risks.

How do I bat faster? I can stay in for ages, but I just can't seem to score runs.

I had the same problem a year back. The trick is to develop an offensive shot for a ball that pitches in a particular area. Then when a ball pitches in that area go for the shot and do not hold back (you may get out 2-3/10 times). Gradually add more shots to your armory. I started with a Pietersen-like heave over mid wicket.

But don't forget the block. It is handy many a times!

Its all about knowing your areas and doing what is best in the situation. You seem like the kind of batsmen an innings can be based around, but then you get stuck and don't rotate the strike. Try and find that gaps in the inner-field and if you get a poor delivery, punish it. Make sure to tell your partner to always back-up and be positive in your running, but not reckless. Then, when it is needed, you will need to push on at the end for the team, at this point know your scoring areas (Something you need to practice in the nets), improvise, and run quickly and positively between the wickets.

The main thing is to not get stuck mid-innings, as when you have not scored a run in a while you start to wonder where you will get the next one, just rotate the strike, singles are all you need to get early on playing that role.

Sean said:

The key is to make these blocks deft touches to the infield and sprint quick singles. At anything below 1st division club level, there will be one or two (at least) poor fielders and pick them out and run singles to them. Opening the face of blocks can also bring a lot of runs to the third man region but you should only do this to a bowler you are comfortable to, not one who moves the ball. A light push to the left of mid off can provide a quick but easy single too.

So, blocks to:
-Cover
-Third man
-Mid off

Can provide easy runs and keep the score ticking.

Another less technical tip I can give you is to really swing your arms through wide deliveries outside the off stump, it is easy runs and you will rarely find a point fielder to stop it.

I recommend watching some clips of New Zealand in the early overs against India yesterday, there were two or three shots which were extended pushes and went for four, ah, the virtues of timing. Sachin Tendulkar is also a good one to watch, simple pushes down the ground fly for four due to hitting it off the middle with a solid push.

A more advanced tip against spinners is that they may take you for granted and just bowl line and length, happy to get dot balls; if you see that ball after ball is landing in the same spot, advancing up the pitch and depositing just one over the infield for four will really make the bowler think about it, and therein come the loose balls. Gautam Gambhir is an extremely fine one to watch in coming up the pitch to spinners, analyse just how fast he gets up the pitch and how he plays with the spin.

The point that manee makes is a good one (as always!). The 'better' club batsman are the ones who can keep the scoring rate up without having to club a boundary every over.

Learn how to turn 'waits' or 'maybe' into ones, ones into twos and twos into threes. Not only will you see the score quicken considerably, it'll also play on the mind on the fielding team and create pressure.

Also, you need to start organising match situations in practice so that you can get used to a variety of situations. This will help to give you the confidence to hit out as well as finding your 'strength' areas.

Sean said:
I thought bowlers liked being advanced?

Some do, some don't but it's an aggressive move that allows you to dominate proceedings.

Depends on who they are Sean, i personally love being advanced on, gives me something to do, and brings in more sledging :p

But i know a few guys at my club hate it and will try to camp the batters on there backside because they cant handle the advancing, and most importantly, being deposited.

i HATE getting advanced.
this goes back to my other post about not sure what to bowl.
Pace: i hate getting advanced.
Spin: ill love it.

Thing is, when they advance when pacing it, you know they are confident, and that advancing only knocks the ball about 20 metres further into the carpark :p

As spinners, you always have a edge if you get advances as mistakes tend to come!

i used 2 play very defensivly last season, got the runs but at a slow rate, this season just gone i tried just advancing down the wicket to the fast/medium pace bowlers (practised it in the winter alot and the bowlers didnt no where to put it :D) and that kinda worked for me :D

dont go into a defensive mindset. if i think defensively then i cant even play attacking shots on bad balls and mess them up. i only think of making runs and if the ball does too much then i try to play it defensively

How's that going to teach me how to bat faster? That's just a fun drill for the end of training.

It is, but its all about hitting 6's at the end of the day, and as a cricketer, you've gotta back yourself with the long shots as it isnt easy hitting a six, especially if one of those medium pace dobbler type bowlers come in and you cant minipulate the pace.

lol how can you say its so easy.... i think you played against childrens... i do more running because it hard to get sixes and four.

Sean go out their thinking agressively. That doesn't mean dont block and swing at every ball, Still block if its a good ball but if its a bad ball be ready to pounce on it.

Sean said:
How's that going to teach me how to bat faster? That's just a fun drill for the end of training.

Over time, it can help you develop yourself a technique for hitting sixes.

Back