Batting Left- Or Right Handed?

DutchGuy

Since a couple of weeks I've been taking lessons from Steven Lubbers, the first dutchman to get an ODI wicket and former coach of the national team. I've been playing cricket for almost three years now and I've always batted righthanded in cricket and lefthanded in baseball. Lubbers has a batting excercise in which someone throws a tennis ball at you and you hit it back to him, one handed with a tennis racket. Being left handed in everyday life I hit it back with my left hand. After looking at a the technique of some other guys he looked at my technique and said: ''Do you normally bat lefthanded aswell?'' so I said no. So he said: ''Have you ever thought about it? 'Cause lefthanded batsmen are wanted in every team.'' Later that practice he looked at my batting and told me to bat left handed for a couple of minutes. He looked at it and said to me that I'm way more balanced batting lefthanded and asked me if I would consider it.
On one side I'm considering it, but on the other side, I'm thinking of wasting 3 years of practise. Three years might not seem a lot, but I'm 14 years old so it's seems a lot longer for me.
What's your advice? Thank you very much in advance.

BTW I'm sorry for the grammar mistakes but I'm 14 years old and from Holland.

No worries about your grammar DG; it is excellent!

It sounds like you have a really good coach [not all players make good coaches] and he appears to know what he is talking about. If you decide to try left handed, the last three years will not have been wasted. You will have picked up quite a lot that will be transferable. If you try it and excel, the three years will seem insignificant compared to the the twenty odd and more years ahead of you! If you try it and do not like it, no problems; you can revert back.

Life [and cricket] is much more fun if you experiment. ;)

No worries about your grammar DG; it is excellent!

It sounds like you have a really good coach [not all players make good coaches] and he appears to know what he is talking about. If you decide to try left handed, the last three years will not have been wasted. You will have picked up quite a lot that will be transferable. If you try it and excel, the three years will seem insignificant compared to the the twenty odd and more years ahead of you! If you try it and do not like it, no problems; you can revert back.

Life [and cricket] is much more fun if you experiment. ;)
Thanks for the advice! :)

Give both ways a go and see what feels best.

There are pros and cons to both ways but only you will know which feels best.

Give both ways a go and see what feels best.

There are pros and cons to both ways but only you will know which feels best.
Thx. Wish I could use your advice already, but I broke my little finger attempting a c&b and I'm not allowed to play for 4 weeks.

Back