Batting - the Basics!

mas cambios

Batting - the Basics!

Before moving on to slightly more in depth batting tips, we'd better cover the basics. If you have these wrong you're going to have problems in making minor corrections when things go.

First up, let's look at the stance. Ideally you want your hands to be close together on the handle. Though you will find your own "perfect grip", at first ensure that your hands are neither too tight nor too loose and that they are reasonably close together.

Start off by holding the handle in towards the middle (you'll find the best position for you after a little while but this is a good starting point). Both of your palms should create "V", which runs in straight line towards the centre of the back of the bat.

grip.gif

Secondly, we need to look at the stance. Your feet need to be about 15inches apart (again you'll find what feels comfortable). At this point try to keep your weight equally spaced between both feet and on the balls of your sole, not the heels. This is so that you're able to move easily, whether its backwards or forward.

Moving up the body, knees will be slightly bent and you will need to have your shoulders pointing straight down the pitch, in line with the stumps at the bowlers end.

Your eyes and head should be steady, so that you can keep level and still and you're able to remain watching the ball at all times. At this point you will have the bottom of the bat grounded just by the toes of your back foot.

batting_stance1.jpg

Michael Atherton showing how its should be done, from a side on view​

Re: Batting - the Basics!

A small addition note to that would be that Atherton is quite far forward in his crease so that he could take a step back to pace bowlers to give him the extra millisecond to react. He did this as a trigger movement and put the weight on the front foot just prior to the shot so the weight is still poised forward. Traditionally, batsman are about an inch further towards the stumps. Where you stand is merely personal preference though.

Good tutorial Almost_Austwick, you are galvanising this site nicely by spreading your cricketing knowledge.

That is a very good point there Manee about where Atherton is batting.

As you said, some people prefer to be slightly out the of crease whilst others well tend to site back a little bit. Often it will depend on the pitch and the type of bowler at the other end but however you do it, it's important to find a 'natural' position to work from.

Why is the picture appearing to overlap the second person's post?
Anyway, I have a unique grip of the bat, I feel that it helps me take a better swing while hard-hitting.

I can't bat to save my life and and need help with it, but I'm not going to spend all my life on here asking millions of questions (I hope)! But when I'm facing fast bowlers what should I be observing as they run in and release the ball. Should I be reading things into the delivery with regards where the ball lands and such like. I'm thinking if it lands short it's going to bounce up into my face - is that a safe assumption or flawed? I suppose if it's a slower ball it'll not bounce so much?

dave i kno how u feel when u say is the bouncer gunna hit me in the face... grand final last yr i got my nose broken in 2 places by a bouncer..... for the 1st couple of games this season i was wary of the short ball and got out first innings of the season by backin away from a ball that was just short of a good length.. BUT! in sayin this... u may cause yourself more harm then good if ur pre-meditate the shot e.g worry about bouncers coming and back away...

do u wear a helmet???

when the bowler is running in... stay focused... as he is near 2 the crease watch the ball in his hand... and try picking the length up ASAP... this is wat i do and its helped me concrete my spot as 1st drop :)..... another thing... try keeping ur eyes level and your head as still as possible....

hope all this helps ya a bit

And adding to that, never back away, if anything duck. because short balls have a habit of following you!

Back