Best Australian Test Player

• Ricky Ponting

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Allan Border

• Dennis Lillee

• Total voters
Bradman easily. The others were very, very good but Bradman stands alone against any player in the world.

Bradman was such an amazing batsman but captain??? it is hard to vote for him. The universal dislike by his team mates before WWII is another good reason. Shane Warne was an incredible mind player, he could talk a batsmen into playing a stroke so he could get him out. His tactics were brilliant and he probably should have been captain after Waugh. Never mind he loved misbehaving more.

Bradman was such an amazing batsman but captain??? it is hard to vote for him. The universal dislike by his team mates before WWII is another good reason. Shane Warne was an incredible mind player, he could talk a batsmen into playing a stroke so he could get him out. His tactics were brilliant and he probably should have been captain after Waugh. Never mind he loved misbehaving more.

Yep, the captaincy was his for the taking but he only has himself to blame for losing it. His lifestyle while playing and after finishing his career suggests he isn't too cut up about it though.

Bradman is the best test player of all time, it's been studied to death with various weightings, time periods etc. and no matter how they look at it he always ends up on top. What always gets me is that people just can't accept that he's number 1 and seem to think it's some kind of weird conspiracy.

I don't usually compare players from different eras or ones I haven't seen much of but Bradman's record is so much better than everyone else's it just speaks for itself.

Doesn't he have a bit of a reputation for being a bit of a knob? I've never really read up on him that much tbh.

He has had a long history of off-field indiscretions which reached a head when he was busted in 2000 for sending explicit text messages to an English nurse. Cricket Australia (ACB at that time) stripped him of the vice-captaincy citing his lengthy indiscretion record and promptly gave the vice-captaincy role to Adam Gilchrist.

He has had a long history of off-field indiscretions which reached a head when he was busted in 2000 for sending explicit text messages to an English nurse. Cricket Australia (ACB at that time) stripped him of the vice-captaincy citing his lengthy indiscretion record and promptly gave the vice-captaincy role to Adam Gilchrist.
Sorry I was actually talking about Bradman not Warne.

Whenever we talk about the best players in the world, we always tend to look at the batsmen who have amazed followers of the game.

Bradman, is without doubt the greatest batsman Australia has ever produced. McGrath is the best fast bowler to ever play for Australia. Warne statistically is the best spinner, however Grimmett was considered the Bradman of spin back in his day and very underrated. For me, the greatest cricketer to play for Australia was Keith Miller. He was simply good all round.

Sorry I was actually talking about Bradman not Warne.

Bradman in the pre-WW2 era was considered very anti-social and difficult to manage as a person. He was roundly disliked by his team mates and the rift between him and Victor Richardson is well known. Post WW2 the guy was seen as a god but don't overlook the team he was playing with, Miller, Lindwall, Hassett, Harvey, Sid Barnes, Johnston Et Al. To see him as a great Captain is shallow just on record. I have not seen anyone suggesting Steve Waugh in this list and his test record was an incredible 71% win ratio where Bradman's was 62% which is also Pontings. Bradman was also involved in some very questionable financial deals in Adelaide in the post WW2 era. I saw a very good documentary on this a few years ago. He was not, from all accounts a very likeable person who was very self absorbed.

hard choice hoestly because you are comparing cricketers from different eras but if you look at stats obv don bradman

Back