Big money England match in doubt

mas cambios

Big money England match in doubt

The $20m match between England and Sir Allen Stanford's Caribbean team is in doubt after a High Court ruling.

The West Indies Cricket Board has lost its case against team sponsor Digicel and been told it cannot sanction the match, set for 1 November in Antigua.

Digicel, overlooked as a sponsor, took action as it felt it had full branding rights on the match, claiming it was effectively a West Indies match.

The ruling added that no West Indians on central contracts could play.

Could be good news or bad news, depending on how you feel about this match.

Personally, I think Stanford will just say sod it and go ahead anyway, even if it's only with a skeleton squad of non-recognised West Indian cricketers.

Re: Big money England match in doubt

In many ways this is very fair. Digicel have done a lot for grass roots cricket over the years, and it's not right that Stanford can just waltz in with all his money and take over the top tier of the game. Personally, I never really agreed with this match, so it's nothing to me if it gets called off. It would be even more of a sham if it does end up getting played with a weakened WI side. I'm glad someone was willing to stand up to Stanford.

It would be better of they could work together but then again, Stanford does have a hatred for anything longer than 20/20, which is a bad thing.

A good thing if it isn't played, but it won't stop the revolution (moeny, money, money).

By the looks of things it'll go ahead. The ECB are terrified of losing people to the IPL/ICL so the money will flow, regardless.

Back