Bit of advice would be welcome

expatwhite

Bit of advice would be welcome

Hi all, new here

4 times this season i have been out being bowled by the same ball. Im taking centre as a guard and im a bit of a banger. My eyes keep lighting up to play drives at balls that i think are missing off stump, only to hear the dreaded sound of stumps flying.

My judgement seems to have completely dissapeared playing at balls that i think are wide but are not. Any advice? Could i take off stump as a guard perhaps, would that be practical?

All suggestions welcome :thumbup1:

Re: Bit of advice would be welcome

My guess is that you are not moving your front foot toward the ball and so the ball seems further away from you than it actually is.

manee;27092 said:
My guess is that you are not moving your front foot toward the ball and so the ball seems further away from you than it actually is.

That sound possible, im a big lad and footwork isnt my strong suit. I also tend to play heavily on the leg side so maybe im not putting my foot forward and across to meet the pitch as im looking to pull

Thanks for that, will work on my foot movement :thumbup1:

Footwork and balance are the most likely culprits. It may also be that once you see a drivable ball, you get a bit carried away and stop watching the ball.

One other thing to check, is that you're bringing the bat down straight and not on an angle.

did you say you were trying to pull a driveable ball? or did i miss read that?

get your feet to the pitch od the ball, or stop wanting to smash the same ball you get out to!

you could just not be watching the ball all the way from the bowler's hand. do you bat with a more open stance? if so, it might be harder to bring your foot to the pitch of the ball and hit through the line.

I used to have this problem, and then I closed my stance a little bit and now I just get out LBW all the time.

Back