Bit of help with my bowling if you will!

mgr989

Bit of help with my bowling if you will!

Hey there i'm new on here so here goes.

My bowlings not bad, but nothing amazing. I'd say i probably only really bowl what you'd call medium pace but maybe at the level i play its medium-fast. Basically, i would like to bowl a little faster just to give batsmen a bit more of a problem, i have a midway action (i struggle with side one and fully chest on doesn't feel right) but i've been watched by other players and my shoulders and hips are all along the same line so there's no twist in the back. Also, i can achieve good swing both in and away even in our indoor net sessions at the moment so i guess thats promising right? So the other night at nets i tried bringing my front arm down quicker which i read on one of these topics and hey presto it was much faster, however! it was a beamer which isn't really desirable. So if i keep plugging away with bringing the front arm down quicker will it just come with practice, obviously with it being March there's nowhere i can go and bowl apart from nets once a week. When the clocks change i'll definitely be practicing a couple nights a week plus a match or two per week.

Thanks for any tips in advance!

Re: Bit of help with my bowling if you will!

Hi mgr989 and welcome to the board.

As with any change in action it can take a little while to adjust to it; so that it feels natural and also is controllable.

Ian Pont recommends walking through any change of action without a ball at first, then progressing to a ball and finally picking up the pace. Give it a go and see if it helps.

As for general pace, have a read of this thread http://www.simplycricket.net/bowling-faster-t684.0.html and take a look at the links.

It is also worth having a read of www.harrowdrive.com as David has some top tips for helping players pick up pace.

Just post up any questions and we'll help as much as we can, even if it just for some support!

thanks for your reply, sounds like i should try and get hold of Ian Ponts book.

I'll just keep practicing and report back!

It's a case of looking at where you are and then trying to improve on the weaker elements.

With the right training and practice most players can increase their pace by a few yards, which can be a lot in club cricket terms.

If you want to bowl fast you have to look very explosive when you bowl. It sounds simple i know- but you really have to look at how fast quick bowlers move when they bowl. If you watch a fast bowler live their action is a blurr.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPDW7hj1yfs"]YouTube - World's Fastest Bowler Competition - 1979[/ame]

watch how explosive those bowlers are in that video. This is where biomechanics are overated- if you move very quick and explosively you will bowl quick regardless of action.

In my case , i saw myself on film and was shocked to see how slowly i actually moved. The action has to be like a crack of a whip.

Also check out shahid afridis quicker ball (75+mph) compared to his usual 55mph + delivery.

mgr989 said:
thanks for your reply, sounds like i should try and get hold of Ian Ponts book.

It's worth a read as he covers a the topic of pace bowling fairly well, but as Swinger says, its not the only resource worth seeking out.

Core strength and explosive power are also key, which is where the harrowdrive site comes - some very useful articles on there.

Back