Botha reported for suspect action

Ljp86

Staff member
Botha reported for suspect action

Johan Botha has once again been reported for a suspect action by match officials after the fourth ODI against Australia. The report was filed by on-field umpires Brian Jerling and Asoka de Silva who expressed concern at Botha's quicker ball and also his doosra.

Botha is still eligible to play international cricket until the tests have been completed. Botha will now be tested on his quicker ball and doosra which is expected to be done as soon as possible but may only be done once Cricket South Africa (CSA) have received an official confirmation from the ICC of the intent to test.

This is the second time Botha has been reported. The first occasion was in 2006 after Botha made his test debut against Australia at the SCG and was then suspended after his action was deemed illegal. His action was found to be illegal in later in September despite remedial work being carried out ion his action. It wasn't until 2007 that Botha returned to international cricket after his action was deemed to be legal.

Cricinfo - Botha reported for suspect action

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

His action has always come across as very, very dodgy. Big call though but at least the umpires won't get crucified for expressing their concerns.

In my opinion, Botha's action still needs work.

Re: Botha reported for suspect action

I guess it boils down to many degrees e has in his pocket. Having seen a few side on tv shots of him in this series.. the question becomes will he ever get it right.. I just seems when he gets successful this happens..

it really does look bad for him if he keeps getting reported, his coach seems to think he can adapt quickly though, though i'd have to say if he keeps improving his action and then keeps dropping back into the way he is bowling now he will need a complete overhaul.

He is and always has been a dirty thrower and that is why he doesn't go for many runs as it is hard to pick up the ball when it is being piffed at you.

Its really sad for Botha whenever he starts doing well people start questioning his action and all these sorts of things which is just unfair to him.....

Kennethquinn;344916 said:
Its really sad for Botha whenever he starts doing well people start questioning his action and all these sorts of things which is just unfair to him.....

It is not sad, he has made a career out of cheating.

water_boy;344926 said:
It is not sad, he has made a career out of cheating.

It is not cheating. If he would have been cheating he wouldn't have been playing in International cricket ICC is not blind so that anyone can cheat and get into International cricket.......

Kennethquinn;344935 said:
It is not cheating. If he would have been cheating he wouldn't have been playing in International cricket ICC is not blind so that anyone can cheat and get into International cricket.......

You have a lot of faith...

He's been throwing it all summer, finally someone has had the courage to report him.

Kram81 I think you are right.. the thing is this he did not bowl his doosra when he got sighted .. so he has most probably been observed for quite a while.. If Murali can have his 15 degrees then Botha should get similar length in interpretation..

Yes, I agree this looks bad for him.. and the fact that he is under constant supervision should send the message to all players, that the ICC is watching them.

Guys if you think he is bad then a local off spinner who played for the eagles looked even more dodgy.. so it boils down to interpretation of the laws.. and he should get it right..hopefully..

gundalf7;344864 said:
it really does look bad for him if he keeps getting reported, his coach seems to think he can adapt quickly though, though i'd have to say if he keeps improving his action and then keeps dropping back into the way he is bowling now he will need a complete overhaul.

I think it is a matter of time before he will disappear for a few months.. remember humans are creatures of habit. when the pressure is on then Im sure some players refer to these incorrect techniques.. he needs technique rehabilitation .. it is that simple

South Africa don't need Botha any more now that they have found this left arm tweaker named Roelof van der Merwe.

Statistically he is miles ahead of Botha in the bowling department. He just has this incredible ability to pick up wickets out of obscurity. Keeping the runs down is something he seems to do as well.

Kram81;344888 said:
About bloody time, the bloke's action is a joke.

I don't think so, I feel that it isn't that bad. I have seen way worse than what he has being doing. Although his action isn't good I think the fella needs a break.

Stamina;345897 said:
I don't think so, I feel that it isn't that bad. I have seen way worse than what he has being doing. Although his action isn't good I think the fella needs a break.

Why does he deserve a 'break'? Maybe Australia's most maligned off break bowler in Nathan Hauritz should start to 'bend' the rules to get an advantage?

It's complete rubbish that needs to be stamped out.

Kennethquinn;344916 said:

It's not unfair.

If you chuck the ball that is breaking the rules so if anyone is being unfair he is.

Back