Bowling - Help Needed

Hi akkers,

There is a lot of good with your action; I like it very much. However, you are a little open (chest wise) for a side on bowler. Try to get that left shoulder round a little bit more at back foot contact and that will protect your back. Try also to keep more upright, which will reduce some lateral flexion.

Keep up the good work!

Actually this lad used to have a kind of mixed action. We forced him to go side on but it still tends to heistate going full side on. Any exercises he can do to force the action?

Any exercise where he looks over his left should at the target wit his chest not so front on is fine.

Why did you go with side on? Everything about his chest position and follow through suggests a front on action might suit better.

No - absolutely born side-on player!

As I said earlier, I love so much about this guy; he really does have what it takes but he must control the open chest or he will suffer a unilateral stress fracture (lumbar spondylolysis) of the pars interarticularis.

At 0.11 on the video you need to get this bowler to be looking to the left of his left arm. Walk it through with him until he gets the feel of the action.

No - absolutely born side-on player!

As I said earlier, I love so much about this guy; he really does have what it takes but he must control the open chest or he will suffer a unilateral stress fracture (lumbar spondylolysis) of the pars interarticularis.

At 0.11 on the video you need to get this bowler to be looking to the left of his left arm. Walk it through with him until he gets the feel of the action.
Definitely happy to defer to your expertise Liz, other than the obvious things like his big rock back what points to you saying he's a born side-on bowler? Genuinely interested as I will be taking some bowling coaching courses and I'm hoping to get the most out of them.

Hi leftie600,

I am afraid I may confuse you...

Not sure how NZ coach retraining a mixed action but the ECB generally go with whatever the feet are doing, i.e. if the feet are open and the chest is side on, change the chest.

I should stop there but to be fair, as you asked the question, I should say that I do not follow this advice. For instance, a bowler may be front on at the feet due to dysfunction at the hip area; generally weak gluteus medius or tension in the piriformis. I tend to treat the dysfunction which will, in turn, correct the biomechanical malfunction.

Looking at the bowler in the video, his posture is great! More importantly, he uses his shoulder stabilisers [serratus anterior and lower traps] well and engages the bowling shoulder with slight delay in whipping the bowling arm over... like a trebuchet. Basically, what I am trying [very poorly] to say is that the way this bowler utilises his muscles makes a side on action more natural.

However, this 'whipping' action travels down the spine and if there is a counter rotation, as there is in this case, by the time the 'wave' reaches the lumbar area, something will have to give and I am afraid to say it is usually the weakest structure... in this case, causing a stress fracture.

Getting the bowler side on at the shoulders is the priority but once this has been achieved, I would like to see more 'power' as his back foot drives through but generally, his follow through is good.

If you have any queries or concerns with any of your bowlers, please feel free to connect with me on LinkedIn or PM me your email address.

Liz

Hi leftie600,

I am afraid I may confuse you...

Liz
All good Liz, I may not be up with medical lingo but having grown up around a medicine orientated family I have no issues interpreting what you're saying.

In NZ we are asked to quickly eliminate mixed actions as even minor damage from it can be long lasting, as you well know.

... I may not be up with medical lingo but having grown up around a medicine orientated family I have no issues interpreting what you're saying...

I'm afraid that came out wrong! I did not mean to insult your intelligence... I meant, if you are planning to take bowling coaching courses, then what I do will not be what you will be instructed to do. In other words, pay no attention to what I do and say until you pass the courses. Get those under your belt, then think laterally! :D

In my opinion, even though I am no expert, you are very front on, and you could stay a bit upright. Just out of curiosity, which line was the crease, and I assume you play on turf pitches?

Back