Bowling Help Please!

Rasterius

Bowling Help Please!

YouTube - My bowling

I have serious problems with my bowling action and I have no idea how they are caused and I don't know how to address them. Could someone please help me out as the district pre season will be starting soon and I'm getting sore knees already.

Re: Bowling Help Please!

How old are you Rasterius?

Is this mainly your left knee?

Do you get aches anywhere else?

Out of curiosity, were you taught to bowl by a spinner?

What are your aims; other than to reduce the knee issue, are you hoping for pace, swing or accuracy?.... or spin?

Looked at your action.

few things to consider

Effective bowling comes from good build up of momentum, staying compact till delivery and follow through.

Sore knees? A - Your follow through stops short, putting stress on your knees.
Simple solution - exaggerate your follow through always in the nets.

Biomechanically you have some changes to make.

Your Left foot upon landing in your delivery stride points to 2nd slip whilst the rest of your body moves in a direction toward legside.

Solution - Front foot must point more toward your target or must be in line with where your shoulders are directed, in your case - Leg stump, work on this one slowly. Ask someone to watch where your foot points.

Next - Leading arm - As a bowler attempting to bowl pace this arm must work in harmony and balance with the other.

Simple - get that arm pointing to the sky then rip it down bending the elbow into your abs as your bowling arm comes through.

The longer thats in the air the better, dont bring it down too soon.

Now lets make everything said simple

Run up should be at your target, eyes focused top of off stump, be a sprinter into the wicket, a powerful axemen on delivery and cool as can be sharp shooter on your follow through.

Lunges help build strength for knees, work on your core strength

So let me clarify this. My back foot should land towards fine leg or straight on as a front on bowler. My front leg goes to the left of my back leg.
Should I have a side on front arm or an open chested front arm? How should I be jumping when I get to the crease?

@Liz Ward, I'm a pace bowler and I want to fix up my action in terms of the mechanics.

You have a very interesting action Rasterius.

Your back foot is fine. At the point of bfc, you're a solid mid way, pace bowler... I like it. Unfortunately, everything goes a little 'spin' after that, which is why I asked if you were taught to bowl by a spin bowler. You have a very good spin bowling follow through. However, this is disastrous at pace, especially on the front foot knee.

You have to bear in mind that the force at ffc is 6 times your body weight; attempting the 90 degree rotation on top of this force is putting too much stress on both the lateral and medial collateral ligaments as well as helping to wear your meniscus.

As a pace bowler, you need to be keeping everything straight... from your feet, all the way up. Try bowling again, with the action you have but cut out the rotation at ffc. There are a few unorthodox elements to your action but these are compensatory and you should find them sort themselves out when you cut out the 'spin' element.

Video yourself again when you feel comfortable and let us have another look.

Back