Cannot Cut/Drive square off the wicket

mechie

Cannot Cut/Drive square off the wicket

Hi all

Recently due to extra efforts to play straight, I cannot square cut or square drive anything, I can drive in the V , play leg side, play in the cover , extra cover region however I cannot play in point/gully region.This hampers my batting once the opposite captian discovers whats wrong, and keeps feeding these short balls on off.

I tried going across and hitting it however the ball is not cut but driven at extra cover. The finest I can get it is by the sweeper. Please help.RHB here.

This happens to medium fast bowlers. For spinners I can use my feet well to reach the ball and drive it.

thanks

Re: Cannot Cut/Drive square off the wicket

I cannot provide you with a video. However If required I can post a picture indicating where I want to hit a ball and where it eventually ends up

m8 i had this same problem... you make the right movement for a sqaure cut but seems to go to covers????

i found that as they say "cutting down a tree" when u play the shot... instead of your bat coming --- << straight across horizontally, try bring it down in more of a slicing action so your bat follows / << that type of path...

if this slicing action is not for you, maybe you are playing it 2 early.... try waiting on it a little more...

i hope this made even just a little senseand can help you out :laugh:

It usually means you are timing it a bit too early meaning your bat is too far ahead of where it needs to be to cut it square, or your footwork is putting you in the wrong position to play the shot.

You should be stepping back and across towards the ball slightly to hit the ball, aiming to play it when it is in line with your shoulders (ish) or just behind and coming down on the ball whilst rolling the wrists to keep it on the deck.

Regards

James

James P said:
It usually means you are timing it a bit too early meaning your bat is too far ahead of where it needs to be to cut it square, or your footwork is putting you in the wrong position to play the shot.

You should be stepping back and across towards the ball slightly to hit the ball, aiming to play it when it is in line with your shoulders (ish) or just behind and coming down on the ball whilst rolling the wrists to keep it on the deck.

Regards

James

Spot on there, follow this and im sure you will see the improvments

Back