Captaincy Fun and Games

kamikenshin

Captaincy Fun and Games

I've recently been appointed as captain of a smallish cricket team. We have a short season, ending mid-June, based around friendly 40 over (or so) games, along with a 20/20 cup competition. Never having captained before, it's been rather more interesting to think about field placements etc for various situations within the two formats than do work. As these things are invariably more fun with more people involved, I though I'd throw it open to the floor. Therefore:

Make up a situation within a game (eg five overs gone in a 20/20, opposition 30-3, overcast conditions, ball swinging about a bit) and set a field for it! No restrictions are in place on where you position people, assume an average to indifferent standard, and explain your decisions!

Enjoy.

Re: Captaincy Fun and Games

Captaincy is indeed a tough task. I've been appointed captain a couple of times now in the absence of the usual captain, and one main thing is to not panic if your team suffers a sudden fall of wickets or one of your bowler gives (more than) a couple of runs away. That will only lead to decisions made in haste. Also try to go into every game with a positive mindset. I'll give you one situation.

Sitaution:

Due to rain, your 20/20 overs game has been reduced to a 15 over per innings match. Having lost the toss, your team was put in to bat and due to the wet conditions, you're only able to post a target of 56 for them to chase in 15 overs. Your opening bowlers provide you with a good bowling start, not picking up wickets but keeping the batsman on the defensive. After 4 overs, tehy are 12/0. You let your opening bowler end his bowling quota of maximum of 3 overs bowling the 5th over of the match and he picks up a wicket first ball. The next three balls result in 6 runs and the last two in two wickets, including that of the opposing team's best batsman. After 5 overs, the match is pretty much in balance with them standing at 18/3 needing just 36 of the remaining ten overs. With your best bowler just having completed his quota of overs, what do you do now to keep them under pressure?

i'd pick the guy who can bowl Pie! stick him in watch their eyes light up and roll on the catches and stumpings!

attack at the start then reassess after every 5 overs is my advice.

i find it helps to break the game into smaller blocks

Back