Cash-strapped Sri Lanka need India's help

mas cambios

Cash-strapped Sri Lanka need India's help

Arjuna Ranatunga, the Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) chairman, has revealed his board has no money left and is banking on financial support from India to stay afloat.

Ranatunga, who was appointed head of SLC by the country's President Mahinda Rajapakse earlier this month, said the board was surviving on bank borrowings.

"We are now surviving on a six-million dollar bank overdraft," Ranatunga told AFP in an interview this week. "We also plan to ask for a short-term loan from the Indian cricket board to be set off against some of our future tour revenues."

Taken from Cricinfo

This is one of the things that annoys me about world cricket at the moment. You have the Indian board rolling in money whilst many of the smaller nations struggle to get by. There has to be a way for India (and the other top earning nations) to actually help out the sport by helping out teams like Sri Lanka. After all, they play their part in helping to make money for the big teams.

Some of the problems may be down to financial wrong doings but even though, the way that the world cricket pie is sliced is wrong and more need to be done to ensure that the sport continues to develop and prosper.

Re: Cash-strapped Sri Lanka need India's help

On the other hand you could ask why should India subside the rest of the cricketing world?

BCCI have provided financial help to SLC in the past and I'm sure they'll do the same this time.

why is it india to blame. they do not steal money from other countries or make them play more home matches to make more money. although they should use more money for domestic development but you cannot blame them because they are rich. india has always helped other poor countries. i read some article on cricinfo where someone was actually critisizing bcci for helping zimbabwe.

Back