Central Contracts; Waste of time?

Simbazz

Central Contracts; Waste of time?

So, is Andrew Strauss a waste of the ECB money?

Are Central Contracts really needed?

Give us your thoughts!

Re: Central Contracts; Waste of time?

I'm not too sure central contracts really work. Look at the present squad, how quickly could the England side change? A year contract could be wasted with a poor run of form and it seems it put pressure on Fletcher when it came to selecting the best XI to do a job for England.

If Counties had more money and players were paid better, than the ECB wouldn't need contract sto control the 'elite' (Flintoff & Strauss) wasted ECB money this winter. I think less Kolpak players and forcing Counties to play 9 players able to play for England would produce more players and fade out the contracts.

leggeb4 said:
If Counties had more money and players were paid better, than the ECB wouldn't need contract sto control the 'elite' (Flintoff & Strauss) wasted ECB money this winter. I think less Kolpak players and forcing Counties to play 9 players able to play for England would produce more players and fade out the contracts.

I agree totally with your point about limiting Kolpaks and ensuring that each county fields a minimum number of England qualified players. Sadly, employment law (as it stands) just will allow the ECB to impose limits (although, I'm sure that there are ways to get the point across, as they as doing with the new funding system).

What is more worrying is that it seems likely that the Kolpak arrangement will soon be available to players from Australia and New Zealand. Whether or not this happens still remains to be seen but you know many counties will take the easy option rather than training up youth.

As for central contracts, well, I feel they have a place but need to be used appropriately. I'm in favour of having the core of the team plus promising or fringe players contracted so that they can be monitored and nurtured, however, it should not be an excuse to withdraw players from the county game.

I think most people will agree that most cricketers need match cricket under their belt in order to perform (of course there is that rare breed that can turn it on whenever), netting or resting at home is not the way to get this.

It may also be better to contract players for a season (or 6 months) rather than a year, this would allow greater flexibility to deal with long term injuries and dips in form.

Quite right, central contracts are good if used properly, but the ECB don't have it right. Either increase the number of contracts to include a squad of 20, I believe the Australians have about 20 on contracts or reduce the time period as my good friend suggests.

But, how long will it be until Essex resemble Arsenal on the pitch. Change the system now, before further test players come to the UK to warm-up for an up-coming test series to practise in 'our' conditions and pitches.

The kolplak law could mess up the international team in this country, it's time something was done about it. If football can impose limits (as have been mentioned in the press over the past few days) then I see no reason why cricket can't follow.

Central contracts - good idea, poor execuation. If I pay to see a CC game then I want to see the best players out there not resting at home, no wonder crowds are so sparse.

i think kolpak players are ok, they help a lot of teams out.

i think central contracts are a stupid idea. the only advantage is for the club as they dont pay the players wages. why would players like strauss, flintoff and harmison want to be bothered on a central contracts when they all dont play very often or very well.

Who would have thought that a handball player would have had such a large impact on cricket.

At least Bosman played football.

Thank you for the information. How much do they pay in the contracts is it similar to the grade contracts offered by BCCI?

Rohit;

We do have a graded contract system in A,B & C Categories.
Where the A Grades get a assured annual amount of 1 crore; B-Grade: 50 lakhs and C-Grade gets 25 Lakhs.
The amounts mentioned are approx.
The players are judged by their performance and then graded accordingly;for Ex: Yuvraj singh after his superb performance in 20/20 World Cup was promoted to A-Grade.
Surprisingly; Ajit agarakar playing cricket for India from 1996 is still in C-Grade :laugh:
Yes at time we do feel it is waste of time; Even last year when Ganguly was removed from the Team :cry;the Central contract part was raised by media as well.Lucky for him he made a comeback and saved his place and money as well ;)

Back