Changing From A Side On Action To A Front On Action Advice

Ross

Hi there,

Wondering if anyhone can help.

After playing cricket for the first season in 16 years (!) I have been getting alot of pain through my hips after bowling. Now, I'm pretty fit so this was really bugging me, so I went to see a physio (who happened to be a cricketer himself). He diagnosed me with FAI syndrome, which basically means the bone that goes into my hip socket is too thick. He said I have to change my bowling action from side on to front on, otherwise I risk properly buggering up my hip.

Now, I went down the nets today to give it a go, and while I didn't bowl very well, I had no pain!

So, how do you bowl with a front on action and any advice about changing actions?

Thanks

Hi Ross,

Before we talk about changing your action, what form of femoroacetabular impingement do you have?

Did the MRI/x-ray confirm any labral tear or damage to the joint surface? Is there any avascular necrosis?

Hi Liz,

The physio made the judgement on where I was getting pains from certain stretches that he did. He did say to fully confirm I would have to do a X ray, so the details of the impingement is unknown. I was hoping to avoid the x ray (due to costs!)

Also, if a moderator could move this to the right forum, that would be lovely

I understand Ross.

The problem is, symptoms for FAI Syndrome are the same for:

Hip Dysplasia (Adult Form)
Lumbar Spine Pain
Lumbar Radiculopathy
Sacroiliitis
Trochanteric Bursitis
Piriformis Syndrome
Psychosomatic Pain Disorder
Iliopsoas Tendinitis/Tendonitis/Tendinosis
Groin Pull
Sports Hernia
Iliac Apophysitis
Quadriceps Hernia/Strain
Endometriosis
Deep Gluteal Syndrome (DGS)
Hamstring Tendinitis/Tendinosis
Chronic Pain Syndromes

Can you tell me if you ever have radiating pain down your leg(s) and if so, where and how far it goes?

I think you have some choices.

You could get the FAIS confirmed. I understand the financial issues but it is really to eliminate some of the degenerative conditions it could be, which is more important.

I suspect you have a malfunction with your side on action which we could correct. However, I cannot be sure without seeing a video.

The hardest option is to switch to a front on action. It can be done but to get it right, it will not be plain sailing.

Think about it and let us know what you decide.

Back