Chinaman Or Left Arm Orthodox

someblokecalleddave

If you were a youngster and you found that you could bowl both Wrist Spin Chinaman and Left Arm Orthodox Finger Spin, which option would you go for. Add to the dilemma that you live in Canada and your summer comes and goes in a blink of an eye and the rest of the year you're buried under 20' foot of snow and its -40 centigrade most of the time. Which would you choose and why?

Being left handed i'd say that bowling wrist spin needs so much practice compared to finger spin which in my opinion is much easier to get your level of accuracy up. In a summer that is over before it starts i'd have to suggest finger spin purely down to the time you'd have to get overs under your belt.

Being left handed i'd say that bowling wrist spin needs so much practice compared to finger spin which in my opinion is much easier to get your level of accuracy up. In a summer that is over before it starts i'd have to suggest finger spin purely down to the time you'd have to get overs under your belt.
That'll be interesting for this kid in Canada to read (He's on youtube at the minute) I'll have to try and get him to come over to here.

Bowl both, with as similar an action as possible. Most batsmen are too unobservant to notice til their stumps are splayed all over the floor.

I'm a left arm orthadox and was persuaded to bowl it because it is like a leg spin bowler to a right hander but i find it harder to bowl my variations. Leg spin is harder to master but the variations are easy to be explained and taught

I'm a left arm orthadox and was persuaded to bowl it because it is like a leg spin bowler to a right hander but i find it harder to bowl my variations. Leg spin is harder to master but the variations are easy to be explained and taught

Hi Offspinbowler.

I could probably have replied in any of these threads but I will just stick to one.

You've come to the right place, there are plenty of knowledgable spinners here. I watched your video, and your bowling is very similar to me (surely a good thing :D ). I would recommend sticking to finger spin as your stock delivery - it may not seem as impressive in the garden, but its much easier to get wickets with against right handers.

Variations: the fingerspin variations are a little more subtle than wrist spinner, but just as effective. You have the topspinner, slider, undercutter and arm ball, and you can vary your flight and pace. If you want help figuring out one or the other, just ask. The doosra as bowled by Murali, Saqlain etc is a very, very difficult ball to bowl, and most people can't do it without chucking. I would recommend trying some other variations first - like the chinaman:

Like me, you also bowl a chinaman as a surprise variation. I would recommend you practice trying to disguise this ball a bit better, in particular bowling it off the 2nd finger rather than the third so that you don't have to change your grip too much (just bring the first two fingers a little closer together), and try to use your offspin body action as closely as possible. It may not turn quite as much, but it will be far more effective in getting batsmen out if they can't spot the wrist action so easily.

Also, http://www.pitchvision.com/category/spin-bowling There are loads of really good articles that you would find interesting.

Hi Offspinbowler.

I could probably have replied in any of these threads but I will just stick to one.

You've come to the right place, there are plenty of knowledgable spinners here. I watched your video, and your bowling is very similar to me (surely a good thing :D ). I would recommend sticking to finger spin as your stock delivery - it may not seem as impressive in the garden, but its much easier to get wickets with against right handers.

Variations: the fingerspin variations are a little more subtle than wrist spinner, but just as effective. You have the topspinner, slider, undercutter and arm ball, and you can vary your flight and pace. If you want help figuring out one or the other, just ask. The doosra as bowled by Murali, Saqlain etc is a very, very difficult ball to bowl, and most people can't do it without chucking. I would recommend trying some other variations first - like the chinaman:

Like me, you also bowl a chinaman as a surprise variation. I would recommend you practice trying to disguise this ball a bit better, in particular bowling it off the 2nd finger rather than the third so that you don't have to change your grip too much (just bring the first two fingers a little closer together), and try to use your offspin body action as closely as possible. It may not turn quite as much, but it will be far more effective in getting batsmen out if they can't spot the wrist action so easily.

Also, http://www.pitchvision.com/category/spin-bowling There are loads of really good articles that you would find interesting.

thank you! i have certainly came to the right place! thank you for the tips and i will make a video of the surprise chinaman if i find that it works for me

thank you! i have certainly came to the right place! thank you for the tips and i will make a video of the surprise chinaman if i find that it works for me

OK great stuff, why don't you have a go at a couple of the other variations as well.

Are you in the season at the moment? How is the bowling going?

OK great stuff, why don't you have a go at a couple of the other variations as well.

Are you in the season at the moment? How is the bowling going?

I've been doing many different variations, the top spinner, armball and the slider. I am in season at the moment I currently 2nd in the bowling averages with an average of 12.88. I'm more of a batsman though because i was picked at a top 4 batsman for the under 15's Australian team.

I've been doing many different variations, the top spinner, armball and the slider. I am in season at the moment I currently 2nd in the bowling averages with an average of 12.88. I'm more of a batsman though because i was picked at a top 4 batsman for the under 15's Australian team.

OK, great to be an allrounder, especially as a spin bowler.

How do you get most of your wickets and with which deliveries?

Nice one OSB, good to see you on here, hope you stick around and get involved and find the forum useful.

OK, great to be an allrounder, especially as a spin bowler.

How do you get most of your wickets and with which deliveries?
i usually get my wickets pitching the bowl around middle and leg stump at a fullish length. I try to bring the batsman on the front foot and have the ball spin away sharply

i usually get my wickets pitching the bowl around middle and leg stump at a fullish length. I try to bring the batsman on the front foot and have the ball spin away sharply

That sounds good. I like bowlers who go for the stumps, its a good positive aggressive attitude. Classic SLA dismissal: pitch it up on leg stump, bring the batsman forward, beat the outside edge and hit the top of off. Goodnight Vienna.

This will also get you plenty of wickets with nicks to the slips and keeper. I find I also get a lot of lbws just sliding the ball on with the drift and beating the inside edge If you can put the ball on a length, drift it in to about middle stump and then either turn it or sometimes make it go straight on, you can get most batsmen out eventually. This is "plan A"

Alternately:

If they are constantly working you with the spin to midoff, into the covers or to third man, you can use your wrong'un to bowl them through the gate.

If they are charging down the wicket, you can take a little pace off the ball, load it with topspin and get them stumped.

If they are playing off the backfoot, you can push it through a little quicker with backspin and get them bowled or lbw.

Basically with a couple of variations and a bit of cunning, you can adapt to any kind of batsman.

That sounds good. I like bowlers who go for the stumps, its a good positive aggressive attitude. Classic SLA dismissal: pitch it up on leg stump, bring the batsman forward, beat the outside edge and hit the top of off. Goodnight Vienna.

This will also get you plenty of wickets with nicks to the slips and keeper. I find I also get a lot of lbws just sliding the ball on with the drift and beating the inside edge If you can put the ball on a length, drift it in to about middle stump and then either turn it or sometimes make it go straight on, you can get most batsmen out eventually. This is "plan A"

Alternately:

If they are constantly working you with the spin to midoff, into the covers or to third man, you can use your wrong'un to bowl them through the gate.

If they are charging down the wicket, you can take a little pace off the ball, load it with topspin and get them stumped.

If they are playing off the backfoot, you can push it through a little quicker with backspin and get them bowled or lbw.

Basically with a couple of variations and a bit of cunning, you can adapt to any kind of batsman.
yeah exactly! i also try to suck them in a little with three flighted slower deliveries then throw in the arm ball that sometimes works

Back