Choosing the Right Shot for Right Ball

abhiscenter

Choosing the Right Shot for Right Ball

Hey guys,
I was listening to some commentators and since then this question has been bugging me,
How can I decide which ball to leave/attack/defend?

please pitch in your idea,
wish you all happy new year.
A.V

Re: Choosing the Right Shot for Right Ball

Well, the most important thing about this is that you are not playing at balls that you shouldnt, and you are hitting balls that should be hit. it should be obvious which ones to hit (half volleys, full tosses half-trackers). The ones to defend should be anything on the off stump, middle stump or just outside, which is on a good length. Its mostly about the length.

For example, if there is a good length ball on off-stump, then it should be defended. but, if it too pitched up drive it and if it is to short pull it.

Overall, the most important thing is that you practice playing all the shots, so you have the option of attacking or defending. when you practice the shots, it should be natural once you pick up the length of the ball.

abhiscenter;382740 said:
Hey guys,
I was listening to some commentators and since then this question has been bugging me,
How can I decide which ball to leave/attack/defend?

please pitch in your idea,
wish you all happy new year.
A.V

It comes down to a combination of natural ability and hard work in the nets. The top players have an almost supernatural ability to pick up the length, line and pitch of the ball and respond accordingly. However, they do work hard at it in the nets and thankfully, using this method the average club player can also improve.

You can try various practices in the nets, such as a session on leaving the ball outside off, attacking and hitting over the top etc. Use of different colour balls can help as can playing with two sets of stumps rather than one.

The key is working out where you want to improve and planning sessions for it. Of course, you need to work on your strengths as well as weaknesses.

most of the time its best to stick to your better shots. This diagram from the bbc cricket site shows technically which shot is bet to which length ball.
_40720040_batting_stroke_sel3_203.gif

Yeah this question is relevant to me as well. I haven't played since school, where I was in the team to do the scorebook rather than score runs so I was heavily drilled in blocking and not giving my wicket away. Now I'm looking to play club cricket I need to start thinking about run scoring if I'm to last long on the teamsheet...
Any tips on how to think about what match situation needs attacking risky strokes and what requires me to just cling to the crease would be helpful (clinging I can do...)

Spiderlounge;385984 said:
Any tips on how to think about what match situation needs attacking risky strokes and what requires me to just cling to the crease would be helpful (clinging I can do...)

Playing the risky shots depends partly on whos at the other end, if its a recognised batsman capable of making the runs, just try and steal a single, if its a fellow tailender you can take the intiative.

also you need to assess the scoreboard situation compared with your abilities, its less about risk, more about aggression. can you hit a boundary or two an over? will that be enough to get the runs?

Ive always found as a general rule if we bat first, ill try and stick in till the allocated overs are up (im a tailender too) because i find the team, and myself, will probably score more than if i go for the big hits which i inevitably miss.

hope that helps mate

Back