Clarrie Grimmett

Is it possible to get a copy of TTB or getting wickets through email. Can't get it online anywhere including abebooks!

You could try https://copiesdirect.nla.gov.au/items/import?source=cat&sourcevalue=926856.

Also a lot of grimmett books can be found in the rare books collections in the bigger public libraries.

You have to contact the NLA about copyright but if they will photocopy it you can keep the cost down by omitting the photos. You can choose what chapters you want copied out of the book.

Benauds father and macgills father both taught their sons using the books.Macgills grandfather played against grimmett, and served in the RAAF during the Hitler war with Grimmetts son, and he handed down the books to stuey macgill " who pored over them at every chance " http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/04/22/1050777255721.html

You could try https://copiesdirect.nla.gov.au/items/import?source=cat&sourcevalue=926856.

Also a lot of grimmett books can be found in the rare books collections in the bigger public libraries.

You have to contact the NLA about copyright but if they will photocopy it you can keep the cost down by omitting the photos. You can choose what chapters you want copied out of the book.

Benauds father and macgills father both taught their sons using the books.Macgills grandfather played against grimmett, and served in the RAAF during the Hitler war with Grimmetts son, and he handed down the books to stuey macgill " who pored over them at every chance " http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/04/22/1050777255721.html

Since I am not from australia, can't even see the book to decide which chapters or pages. Pdf copy of the whole book will cost about $50 aud - not sure if thats expensive or reasonable.

Since I am not from australia, can't even see the book to decide which chapters or pages. Pdf copy of the whole book will cost about $50 aud - not sure if thats expensive or reasonable.

BT, if you're in the UK, you'll just need to keep an eye out for it and it'll turn up, the only thing is this forum has created a demand for the book and whereas 3 or so years ago they were going for a few quid, the book sellers are now taking the piss, so you have to bide your time.

Tomorrow, Christmas Day, marks 120 years since the birth of Clarence Victor Grimmett in Dunedin New Zealand.

He was the first bowler to claim 200 test wickets and did it in less tests than anyone before or since. He dismissed Bradman a record amount of times.

His first class career lasted for over 30 years. He bowled almost the exact amount of 1st class deliveries as Shane Warne but Grimmetts figures are superior.

In 1938 he became the first Australian test player to go to India and coach.

On the night Grimmett died a newspaper reporter from the Advertiser knocked on Bradmans door late at night to ask what Bradman wanted to say about Grimmetts passing that day. "Clarrie Grimmett was the greatest bowler of his type the world has ever seen and I doubt we will see his like again" was his comment.

Bradman saw a lot of Warnes career, if only on tv mostly, and even after he and warnie were both made wisden 5 cricketers of the 20th century in 2000, Bradman would not swap Grimmett for Warne in his greatest Australian 12 of all time.

Grimmett was famously undemonstrative when he took a wicket. But he was a bowlers' bowler. He disliked batsmen intensely. In fact he maintained no-one, even Bradman, was all that good and it was Grimmett himself that knew more about batsmanship than anyone else!

Does bowling more round arm,very round arm (grimmet,warne) fetch you more side spin ?. Does being roundarm makes you innaccurate ?

Someone with more experience and knowledge may put me right, but I think it's generally accepted that slightly round arm and therefore more round does give you more turn off the wicket, but it is more difficult to master accuracy. Although saying that Grimmett was known for incredible accuracy - being able to land the ball on a handkerchief again and again. He had his own wicket in his back yard for most of his professional life and even when he was old and he'd practice (As you should) for hours and hours each day. He would finish his practice sessions off by hitting a hndkerchief 6 times in a row before he's pack up and stop.

What was grimmets grip for the leg break and the grip for the slider and do you guys know how grimmet bowled the slider ?

I will try and put up a pic of grimmetts grip. Standard two up two down grip with thumb on ball. Grimmett didn't bowl a backspinner zooter type slider. But he did bowl two types of backspinners. The flipper was one and a straight ball like warnes other 'slider'. At least that is what he describes in his books.

Did clarrie get all side spin with no top spin ? And do you have any idea how clarrie bowled his big leg break. If it was described in the book

Lots of topspin. Backspin was a rare variation. Grimmett always stresses the importance of topspin. That was how to gain pace off the wicket he reckoned.

He could bowl big legbreaks as well using pure sidespin and usually avoided tilting back to any backspin because he feared it slowed the ball except as a variation.

macca do you have any tips in bowling a legbreak with all side spin with no top spin ?

Practising against a wall. Without bowling, standing fairly close, and try and get a pure sidespin release. You will notice things like the position of the back of your hand or thumb and where they need to be to get the seam revolving at sidespin.

Practising against a wall. Without bowling, standing fairly close, and try and get a pure sidespin release. You will notice things like the position of the back of your hand or thumb and where they need to be to get the seam revolving at sidespin.

Did grimmett talk about the big spinning leg break or any type of leg break for that matter can you tell me the tip/"secrets" in bowling them. And to make small variations to trick the batsmen and eventually taking their wicket. I tend to get a lot of wickets with my side spinning leg break,the batsmen comes forward and he gets stumped.Drift was also a key :D.So do you have any Idea what did grimmet say about the variations of legbreaks. I love the legbreak and bowl them 98% of the times. I just wanted to make small changes so that I can get more wickets and trick the batsmen. You are having very good knowledge about grimmett as far as I know so please can you help me out ?
Grimmett is my favorite bowler :)

Did grimmett talk about the big spinning leg break or any type of leg break for that matter can you tell me the tip/"secrets" in bowling them. And to make small variations to trick the batsmen and eventually taking their wicket. I tend to get a lot of wickets with my side spinning leg break,the batsmen comes forward and he gets stumped.Drift was also a key :D.So do you have any Idea what did grimmet say about the variations of legbreaks. I love the legbreak and bowl them 98% of the times. I just wanted to make small changes so that I can get more wickets and trick the batsmen. You are having very good knowledge about grimmett as far as I know so please can you help me out ?

@macca
@dave ?
Any suggestions ?

Guys any suggestions about this ?

Back