Coming Back To Leg-spin: Line Problems

JamesH

Hi all - after 6 years in the doldrums of military medium, I returned this year to my first love: leg-spin. Having also moved (now on the herts/essex border) and joined a new club, I've quickly rediscovered a nice loop, good turn and have at times caused some good batsmen real problems.

But now I've got an issue myself: I'm pushing everything down leg-side. These deliveries still have a nice loop, and the length is good (sometimes too full, but not usually big full toss type rubbish) and turn. I've read posts here that suggest I'm getting stuck side on, but 4 or 5 sessions working on this haven't really helped; now I'm starting to bowl short, wide drag downs outside off too.

I'd be really grateful if others who've had this problem could chime in with any ideas: I'm starting to consider going back to the trundlers (at least they were steady if largely unthreatening).

Also, if any knows of any good coaches (happy to travel up to an hour, and to pay up to about £50 an hour), I'd be really grateful.

Cheers
James

Upload a video of your bowling action? the concern with not getting out of the side on position may be causing you to lose sync with your upper body and lower body... and cause you to drag it short and wide.... hard to comment without seeing it though.
If you get a video up you will get some quality feedback from a few guys that i have noticed know a lot about the art in my short time on the site.

I hope you stick with the legspin. What's happening is only a short term problem but I dont know if i can help.

Probably frustrating that you cant land your legbreaks as accurately as your trundlers. The thing I always say is there is no use pitching outside their legs if you cant spin it back at least to the stumps. And it has to be pretty full and on the up. But you dont want every ball going down legside because that can be a recipe for a disaster.

I only know my method of keeping or batting against you and setting a target and helping you move your line over ball by ball. A few big legbreaks down legside is good anyway and you want to be able to bowl out there to the lefthanders as well.

Back