County Cricket 2013

futureblackcap

Because there needs to be a discussion on it. I'll admit, I'm not the most knowledgeable on the topic being on the other side of the globe but I still follow it.

For starters:

Who do you support? Who are the players to look out for? Your predictions for the County Championship for division one and two?

I'm going to try and follow it this season too, especially with extended coverage on BBC Radio 5 Live. I've never known much about the players and teams, though. I'll be keeping a sympathetic eye on Surrey this season, but I have a feeling the unit won't really click (as nice as it would be if they did) and they won't really contend unless Graeme Smith and Ricky Ponting score a mammoth amount of runs.

My baseless and uninformed predictions say that Somerset will go one better this year and take Div 1, while Div 2 is a little harder to pick and I can't really choose between Lancashire, Hampshire, and Essex as outsiders.

I'm so glad to see that weather hasn't intervened at any of the County grounds thus far. I had to double-check the amount of overs in the Yorkshire game when I saw that Yorks were 30/4 at lunch; there was no play lost -- just Steve Magoffin and James Anyon controlling proceedings.

To cross-post from the Australian Test Selection thread, Messrs Cowan and Bailey are on track for opening day centuries.

Strong starts from Sussex with the ball (Chris Jordan 6 for 48) plus Gloucestershire (Housego and Marshall not out on centuries) and Kent (Bell-Drummond not out at the end with 102) with the bat.

Leicestershire...unfortunately we are in the County Championship - Division Two and have managed two draws in the first two matches...sitting third at present. Its seems an age away from when we were winning Division One back in the late 1990's, but I hope your right blackcap @:) back in Division One by season end!!

Leicestershire...unfortunately we are in the County Championship - Division Two and have managed two draws in the first two matches...sitting third at present. Its seems an age away from when we were winning Division One back in the late 1990's, but I hope your right blackcap @:) back in Division One by season end!!

I'll hope for your sakes then hehe.

Great start from Middlesex! Two easy victories so far.

I'll hope for your sakes then hehe.

Great start from Middlesex! Two easy victories so far.

Lol so do I :) its great going down to Grace Road with a pint in hand for a great game of cricket...even more so when big names are on the cards with Division 1 cricket! COME ON LEICESTERSHIRE!!!

Did you see Broad for Nottinghamshire? Took 8 wickets over the two innings against Derbyshire, 91 for 8...thats the form we need for the Ashes!

I follow this a bit, mostly looking at scores and scorecards over on Cricinfo. I have watched the occasional Pro40 game and T20 match on pay TV here as well though.

Nottinghamshire did well this weekend in the Yorkshire Bank 40 beating Worcestershire.

friday 28th Junes a big one for me, Nottinghamshire v Leicestershire in the Friends Life T20....not a big T20 fan but this will be a nice game to watch with a beer or two if the weathers nice :)

Middlesex following on against the strong bowling attack of Sidebottom, Plunkett and Rashid.

Hamish Rutherford didn't make much of an impact for Essex on debut. It'll probably take a bit of time for him to get the hang of it.

I've been keenly following Chris Jordan's progress at Sussex. I'm sure the West Indies have been doing the same. Very talented all-rounder, scoring 41 yesterday down at 8.

ZIfCbWF.png

Middlesex still clinging to second in division one. Even after a shock loss to Derbyshire. After mediocre short-form tournaments...I'm hoping they can knock off Yorkshire.

Back