Cover Driving

macaroon9

sC Player of the Month - July '08
Cover Driving

Whenever i try to play a cover drive i edge the ball to the slips!
are there any tips on how can i play it but not edge it to the slips?
any tips would be appreciated

Re: Cover Driving

It is sometimes because of the swing which i cannot pick but when the bowler bowls i have to play the cover drive and for that i have to open the face a little bit ;)
if you can give me some tips then i would be happy

Probably because you're not getting to the pitch of the ball and then not getting your head over it. You need to make sure you get a good stride towards the ball and make sure your eyes are completely over the ball before playing the shot. If you are swinging at the really wide ones you're bound to edge, so i advice trying to play slightly straighter ones, and leaving the wide ones, unless you're confident of hitting them for four.

Is it anything to do with the follow through or the way i put my weight once i hit it

Probably weight after you hit it, you need to make sure that your weight is completely forward and over the ball once you've got to the pitch of the ball.

Also make sure that you play the shot if the ball is full. If its good length then the ball will have more time to swing and it will take the edge. So only play it if the ball is over pitched unless you are playing on dead pitch.

IF i get to the pitch of the ball and then how much weight should i get on it ? all my weight ?
Is there anything to do with the follow through ?

Macaroon, I hope this video is helpful to u.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jTe_3TFtDE"]YouTube - Michael Vaughan Natwest Cricket Masterclass - Cover Drive[/ame]

In the vid which u have given michael vaughn says that you have to take a small step to play the cover drive if you take a big stpen then you will surely play it to the slips but i saw another vid where michael slater says that if you have to play a front foot shot then you hv to take a big step.What do you think that i should do because one says do not take a big step and the other says take a very big step.

The step is completely dependant on the pitch of the ball. You have to get to the pitch of the ball, so that you can get your head over it to hit it along the ground.

indeed. kp has given some very good advice.
the main point that vaughan makes about the step is that you shouldnt get it too far out and reach for the ball. if you are cover driving you would want the ball to be right in the slot.

one thing 2 remember with stepping and foot work for shots or any foot work with cricket is that it is gunna vary from player to player.....

this is where net time is important... videos are a great AID, remembering though that this is only general advice... if vaughn says take a small step and slats says take a big one.. this is something you r goin to have to figure out 4 yourself...

another thing i have found when i play a cover drive... if i go at it 2 hard its usually played to slips or point...

just my opinion :D

I agree with Aussie boy;it varies from player to player.
It depends a lot on the pitching of the ball.
Net practice/knocking practice can be helpful for you.

Back