cover driving

opener21

cover driving

hey everyone
whenever i play a cover drive, it always goes in the air, i try to get over the ball and bend my knee, got any tips?

Re: cover driving

opener21;402703 said:
ok, thanks for the help.

Sorry that the advice is a bit vague but without seeing you play it's hard to pinpoint the actual issue. We/I can guess at the most likely causes which generally are too much bottom hand, over stepping towards the ball (which can your head to go up) etc.

Watch the videos linked as they really do give you a great breakdown of the shot and hopefully you'll be able to learn from them.

If you post a video then we'll be able to give you some more personalised help.

I had/still sort of have this problem as posted here.

I solved it in a completely different way, though, as my technique is pretty solid. I found my natural tendency for the bottom hand to sneak through ruined my timing a touch, and I was holding the bat more with my finger tips, as my wrist wasn't bending around enough to hold onto the bat fully.

I learnt to hold the bat a little tighter with my right hand and force my wrist (not too much though) to level out a bit more, I had a big gap between the palm of it and the actual handle. Having it further back and holding it with a firmer grip lessened the ability for that hand to be stronger through the ball, and I also used the Gilchrist squash ball to some extent, except I used an extra thick wicket keeping inner on my bottom hand, pretty much doubling the size of my hand and allowing it to wrap and squish more around the handle, effectively making my wrist able to bend even further to be more level with the bat.

Of course this may have no relevance to your problem at all, and first and foremost correct any technical flaws by looking around at some videos and get some coaching from somewhere, even if it means posting some more specific stuff up here for the others who are much more capable at that than I am. I just thought I'd mention the wrist thing, as apparently a lot of people have that problem and is one that I rarely, if ever hear talked about. Just check it out.

Might be a good idea for a bigger stide next to the ball (not to the ball as used to be coached as that will result in it hitting the pad) and also what balls are you playing the drive to? what sort of length? even something like that can mean you are hitting on the up even if you have a correct technique.

Getting a big stired in, in my opinion, helps with you dipping the shoulder into the shot and keeping that head over the ball, almost as one part of the process is out, it all goes to pot.

Good luck.

Back