Cricket Albury/wodonga

I'm lost. who is mick donalds? sour grapes? what club are you from mick donalds? i dodnt even no players got paid. ive heard tallangatta were a rich club but i just thought that would be to get the poms over?

Surely this is sarcastic......no money in local cricket?
There is not alot of money but it tends to be the more a club has strugglrd recently the more they throw the cash around to keep up.
eg Lavi North And Wodonga...the powerhouses of the last few years have spent practically nothing on players bar coaches etc.

No need to name names or clubs here but Mick Donalds knows who he is and now he knows i know who he is too?

But back to the money there may not be much money for just playing cricket but there is always ways around it ie jobs free gear, no fees over priced, curating fees etc.

From what I know and none of this is "fact" but still very likely.

New city have offerred money and alot of it to people in the past (eg cupido mclennan) aswell as bringing out poms.
Tallangatta ditto (lade) probably a pom this year too.
Albury have offerred money to players (tassell plummer) but no imports yet.....(watch this space)
Raiders no idea (probably paid Daniels back in the day) but they will be paying for their 2 poms this year.
Belvoir got drew cameron and Plummer work at Visy even though plummer left (maybe a pom).
North have always looked after there players with work oppurtunities etc and are set for a pom this year.
East i believe are not in the practice of handing out cash or work arrangements but again will have a few poms this year.
Wodonga same as east no paid players or work arrangements but no poms either.
St Pats i believe have a little bit of money they spread around the players but its meant to be all hush hush secrect squirrel type stuff so dont tell anyone.
Lavi I honestly dont know but i do know they wasted alot of $ on a west indian that never turned up and may have paid coaches etc in the past?

So if we look at it we could have 8 or 10 imports (poms) that come at a cost (poms) in the league this year at new city, tallangatta, raiders, north, east and albury and maybe Belvoir.
The only clubs without imports would be Lavi Wodonga And St Pats 3 of the best 4 clubs of the last 10 years....maybe there is a message there ?
Are imports a Bandaid Fix for sides trying to keep up?
If you want sustained success spend the money on making your club better, fix up your club rooms, build better nets,pay a good coach to visit once a month, make your club a place people want to go for "free" becuase its a good place to be, find some local talent.....(even if it is from a rival club) who wants to be there...not for the $ it will treat you well in the long run.......just my opinion?

Or use the Wodonga method - poach as many players as you can from other clubs and leave all your talented kids in the seconds. There's a great way to make your club a place people want to go for free!

I bet Spike is rapt that he left Lavi when he finds out that he has to fight for a spot with Robinson, Collins, Hales and Kennedy. Wonder if he's having second thoughts yet?

Or use the Wodonga method - poach as many players as you can from other clubs and leave all your talented kids in the seconds. There's a great way to make your club a place people want to go for free!

I bet Spike is rapt that he left Lavi when he finds out that he has to fight for a spot with Robinson, Collins, Hales and Kennedy. Wonder if he's having second thoughts yet?

Poach....thats interesting terminology why dont you ask Trent and Tonkin who approached who? when I talked to them about their move they said they went to Wodonga and asked to play there and I have a good mate that plays there who backs that up?

Now i could be crazy but is it possible that they went there because they have a good coach and good structures a good culture and are heading into a period where they will be very successful over the next few years....nah it wouldnt be that it would be for money or cos they were poached or because they are chasing a flag or some crap like that....thats what everyone wants to hear isnt it ? Pretty sad really thats were we always head too.

I happened to call in there on the morning of one of the finals to look at the wicket a few years back about 10am and was amazed at what i saw , the juniors final had been postponed due to wet weather but instead of going home they were down at the oval training flat out doing throwdowns with full nets setup on the ground, catching, fielding all in full training gear all at full intensity it was like a minature cricket academy it was great to watch and I only hope my club gets to that level one day

The only players that i know that are "new" to Wodonga are Tonkin who left Lavi becuase they didnt want Trent back and Trent who just wants to play with his good Mate (what a crime).
Spike probably went there because he would rather risk playing twos at wodonga than put up with the rabble at Lavington.
Saker never played cricket here and is good mates with jacko through football coaching where did they poach him from?

Im confused with logic with what you said about spike should he just get a walk up start? if he is good enough he will play and i would think he will but the other bowlers are all just as capable i believe personally after seeing young Robbo at rep level he is their future Collins is a proven workhorse just look at his finals performances 2 years ago hales is as good a seamer as there is around here when he is on kennedy is dangerous and can take big wickets when he is fit and spike is a proven reliable quick rep level bowler. Why shouldnt there be competition for spots its bloody healthy.
The alternative is being in the position we were at at my club a few years ago where you get an injury or someone is away you cant even find anyone to replace them because you had your stock 11 that played every game and the next bloke up is a middle level seconds bloke.
I think you underestimate Spike as a person i have played alot of cricket with him and he would be more than willing and happy to accept a challenge and fight for his spot if required.

And just as a side note while we are talking about their "good juniors" who are missing out have you had a look at their last 2 premiership sides.

Roberts: WALKED IN OFF THE STREET------- -Lappin: WCC JUNIOR
Garvey: WCC JUNIOR ------------------------Beattie: PLAYED IN BOTH
Jackson: PURSUED AS COACH OF THEIR CLUB -Jackson: PLAYED IN BOTH
Beattie: WCC JUNIOR----------------------- -Schultz: WCC JUNIOR
King:NO IDEA --------------------------------Griffiths: WCC JUNIOR
Rogalski:WCC JUNIOR------------------------ -Roberts: PLAYED IN BOTH
Craig:WCC JUNIOR ----------------------------Roberts: WCC JUNIOR
Dalbosco:WCC JUNIOR------------------------- Berg:WCC JUNIOR
Hales:WCC JUNIOR ----------------------------Kennedy:WCC JUNIOR
Craig:WCC JUNIOR ----------------------------Kennedy: WCC JUNIOR
Collins: WCC JUNIOR-------------------------- Collins : PLAYED IN BOTH
Robinson:WCC JUNIOR -------------------------Mills:WCC JUNIOR
Hutchinson:WCC JUNIOR -----------------------Rogalski: PLAYED IN BOTH

Over the 2 flags there was 21 different players (inc 13th man) and 18 of them were home grown players 18!!! thats not just good it has to be some sort of record!!

In closing i would like to say im more than happy for people to have there opinions on here on whatever they like thats what this forums for and there is nothing wrong witha bit of fun but i wont sit back and see clubs and people victimised for doing the right things for once, if your going to shoot your mouth off at least do some research and put some thought into what your saying and dont lower yourself down to the lowest common denominator with the rest of the plebs because you make yourself look like and uneducated idiot.

From what i can tell Wodonga have built a good culture where people want to go and play they arent paying anyone they arent importing anyone they have been playing huge numbers of kids and have a strong successful junior structure and all everyone wants to do is bag them out.
Maybe if you spent less time whinging about what everyone else is doing and got off your ass and helped your own club you would be better off i know thats what im trying to do for my club and i hope we can get our juniors thorugh the ranks like theirs in the future!

Its interesting to hear all of this, but how true is it all. id like to hear from someone from lavi and st pats who are in the know. maybe we are looking at wodonga for poaching, when maybe the common denominator may be trent ball. 'bring back the cat' you say that it sounds crazy that they are chasing a flag, however tonkin and spike won a flag last year? the common demonimater seems to be trent ball jumping clubs to 'chase a flag'? gone from lavi, to st pats to wodonga, why has he kept swapping? you also mentioned about the coaching wodonga, isnt robbie mckinlay a state coach? wouldnt he be the best? you wouldnt just leave a club for no reason, there must have been a fight or something.

Bring back the cat, personally i would like to know which club everyone is from so then you know who knows what when things happen and who is just talking poo. im happy for you to say where im from, i dont hide it.

Fair write up BBTC but I agree with Mick. St Pats and Lavi haven't said anything about these guys leaving . Maybe on the inside they are jumping around with joy?? The test will be if Wodonga do win who hangs around. I'm sure T.Ball would make a great captain of Wodonga's District side.LOL . On Wodonga and how many sides they will have just wondering how it will work. Will the District side be there 3rd's or 4th's .?? Or even there 2nd's ? I wonder how competive they will be in that grade? I can't remember a year with so many guys jumping clubs . Gee can't wait to see all these imports land. I bet the district clubs are sitting back a laughing with all the money being spent in Provincal. I have a idea for CAW why not have a game between imports v locals and see what happens? Belovir could be smokeys this year with a young side you want to play together and enjoy each others company. All I can say is get it on...AFL's been a joke all year.

Fair write up BBTC but I agree with Mick. St Pats and Lavi haven't said anything about these guys leaving . Maybe on the inside they are jumping around with joy?? The test will be if Wodonga do win who hangs around. I'm sure T.Ball would make a great captain of Wodonga's District side.LOL . On Wodonga and how many sides they will have just wondering how it will work. Will the District side be there 3rd's or 4th's .?? Or even there 2nd's ? I wonder how competive they will be in that grade? I can't remember a year with so many guys jumping clubs . Gee can't wait to see all these imports land. I bet the district clubs are sitting back a laughing with all the money being spent in Provincal. I have a idea for CAW why not have a game between imports v locals and see what happens? Belovir could be smokeys this year with a young side you want to play together and enjoy each others company. All I can say is get it on...AFL's been a joke all year.

Hey there Big Guy I agree not a bad write up there from BBTC and some very good points but surely he needs to get a hobby or a day job? :D

I couldnt imagine Lavi would be happy about losing their best bat and their opening bowler but then again there was a 3rd grade mutiny out there and they seem to be running the joint now so they probably are happy knowing them I heard a rumour they tried to tell him how things would work such as Trent wouldnt be welcome back and a few of the premiership side wouldnt be welcome back after some of their Mad Monday antics (No they didnt set a dwarf on fire) and if he didnt like what they proposed he could leave, I guess he called their bluff?

Spike would of left because he would have had no mates left to play with?

With Trent and St Pats who knows but im pretty sure it was his choice to go he wasnt pushed or asked?

In regards to the Wodonga sides I asked exactly the same question of one of the CAW board members the other day for qualification rulings etc and it appears CAW and Wodonga will be treating their A district as there 3rd picked side. I asked if he thought they would be competitive and said he was led to believe they will have a couple of older guys (Ex Prov A graders) in there mix to look after the kids that they will be playing so should be ok.

Imports have gone mad this year and the league assured me that each club will be limited to a max of 2 in A grade per club (not that i can find that in writing anywhere)? After last years precedent if we get 11 imports out here we might not even get a local player in the rep side?

And you are spot on with Belvoir young fresh (minus Spiteri) bunch of blokes champing at the bit and a few who want to prove themselves at the next level i still reckon they are a Restall,Farrell,Tonkin,Jackson or Lade away from being a real threat but will still give the big guys a shake this year.

Dont write the AFL off for the year just yet CARN THE TIGES!

I think there is less money in cricket here than what everyone thinks with regards to players getting paid!! We woofers only pay 2 blokes, coach/curator.. We are a proud mob, and to have guys walk up wanting to play with us is a testiment to the current playing group! Good luck to all other clubs with recruiting, it only takes one or two blokes to bring a few more along..at the end of the day, if ya love the game it shouldn't matter where ya play, what grade ya play, as long as ur with ya mates and ya havin fun, ya goin alright I woulda thought?

Enough of the shit lets get this draw out and get into it!

Poach....thats interesting terminology why dont you ask Trent and Tonkin who approached who? when I talked to them about their move they said they went to Wodonga and asked to play there and I have a good mate that plays there who backs that up?

Now i could be crazy but is it possible that they went there because they have a good coach and good structures a good culture and are heading into a period where they will be very successful over the next few years....nah it wouldnt be that it would be for money or cos they were poached or because they are chasing a flag or some crap like that....thats what everyone wants to hear isnt it ? Pretty sad really thats were we always head too.

I happened to call in there on the morning of one of the finals to look at the wicket a few years back about 10am and was amazed at what i saw , the juniors final had been postponed due to wet weather but instead of going home they were down at the oval training flat out doing throwdowns with full nets setup on the ground, catching, fielding all in full training gear all at full intensity it was like a minature cricket academy it was great to watch and I only hope my club gets to that level one day

The only players that i know that are "new" to Wodonga are Tonkin who left Lavi becuase they didnt want Trent back and Trent who just wants to play with his good Mate (what a crime).
Spike probably went there because he would rather risk playing twos at wodonga than put up with the rabble at Lavington.
Saker never played cricket here and is good mates with jacko through football coaching where did they poach him from?

Im confused with logic with what you said about spike should he just get a walk up start? if he is good enough he will play and i would think he will but the other bowlers are all just as capable i believe personally after seeing young Robbo at rep level he is their future Collins is a proven workhorse just look at his finals performances 2 years ago hales is as good a seamer as there is around here when he is on kennedy is dangerous and can take big wickets when he is fit and spike is a proven reliable quick rep level bowler. Why shouldnt there be competition for spots its bloody healthy.
The alternative is being in the position we were at at my club a few years ago where you get an injury or someone is away you cant even find anyone to replace them because you had your stock 11 that played every game and the next bloke up is a middle level seconds bloke.
I think you underestimate Spike as a person i have played alot of cricket with him and he would be more than willing and happy to accept a challenge and fight for his spot if required.

And just as a side note while we are talking about their "good juniors" who are missing out have you had a look at their last 2 premiership sides.

Over the 2 flags there was 21 different players (inc 13th man) and 18 of them were home grown players 18!!! thats not just good it has to be some sort of record!!

In closing i would like to say im more than happy for people to have there opinions on here on whatever they like thats what this forums for and there is nothing wrong witha bit of fun but i wont sit back and see clubs and people victimised for doing the right things for once, if your going to shoot your mouth off at least do some research and put some thought into what your saying and dont lower yourself down to the lowest common denominator with the rest of the plebs because you make yourself look like and uneducated idiot.

From what i can tell Wodonga have built a good culture where people want to go and play they arent paying anyone they arent importing anyone they have been playing huge numbers of kids and have a strong successful junior structure and all everyone wants to do is bag them out.
Maybe if you spent less time whinging about what everyone else is doing and got off your ass and helped your own club you would be better off i know thats what im trying to do for my club and i hope we can get our juniors thorugh the ranks like theirs in the future!

Thanks BBTC, you've illustrated my point perfectly. All those talented juniors and yet you still go and chase players from other clubs (oh sorry, that's right, they all approached you). How many of those kids do you think are happy to see Tonkin, Ball, Klein-Boonschate and Saker walk into the club?

Not only that, your coach said in the paper the other day that Saker would only play around his footy commitments. So which one of those former juniors makes way for him every couple of weeks when he makes himself available to play?

Your "good coach", "good structure" and "good culture" don't sound that great to me. I'm glad I don't play at your club.

But hey, good luck to you. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion.

Just to clear up a few things in regards to Lavi Panthers. No one has told Trent Ball or anyone else that they are not welcome. We are disappointed that they have decided not to play at Lavi Panthers. Also Spike does still have friends at Lavi Panthers, including myself.

Thanks BBTC, you've illustrated my point perfectly. All those talented juniors and yet you still go and chase players from other clubs (oh sorry, that's right, they all approached you). How many of those kids do you think are happy to see Tonkin, Ball, Klein-Boonschate and Saker walk into the club?

Not only that, your coach said in the paper the other day that Saker would only play around his footy commitments. So which one of those former juniors makes way for him every couple of weeks when he makes himself available to play?

Your "good coach", "good structure" and "good culture" don't sound that great to me. I'm glad I don't play at your club.

But hey, good luck to you. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion.

If anyone's got the shits they might go elsewhere or not play, some might just get over it, everyone is different and no one should have a go at them for it.. I think ur frustrated with the position of ur club and a little annoyed at the depth of others.. My view only, take that as u will?

Not long to go now.

Which teams are shaping up well?
Which teams look like they will have a tough season ahead?
Surprise team/player for the year?
Any late signings?

Well it ain't far away boys !!!! Very interested in Erdl's comments on the news last night. Saying East will be the big improvers because of their kids from last year. Don't forget about the imports they have . Very handy !!!! I was disappointed that he said Raiders will struggle . This is not aimed at Raiders but if the CAW think they will struggle then why put them up at this stage. What I want Raiders to do is stick it up them and win a few games.
The big question is how well will Wodonga gel this season?

Last years side and what grade I think they'll play
Roberts: -Gone
Garvey: WCC JUNIOR -1st grade
Jackson:-Coach-1st grade
Beattie: WCC JUNIOR-1st grade
King:NO IDEA-1st grade
Rogalski:WCC JUNIOR-2nds
Craig:WCC JUNIOR -Gone
Dalbosco:WCC JUNIOR-1st grade
Hales:WCC JUNIOR -1st grade
Craig:WCC JUNIOR -Gone
Collins: WCC JUNIOR-2nds
Robinson:WCC JUNIOR -1st grade
Hutchinson:WCC JUNIOR-2nds

This years side (in no particular order)
Tonkin
Ball
Jackson
Beattie
Garvey
King
Dalbosco
Saker
Hales
KB
Robinson
Booth (12th man)
All players come and go so maybe it's all a storm in a teacup???

Good luck to their 3rds (oops district a grade) playing at Willow, any truth it won't be ready til after christmas? I'm sure the batting decks at Baranduda and Wodonga Raiders cricket club's would be more accomodating than trying to field 3rd and 4th rate sides in the district comp.:confused:

Let's leave Wodonga alone for a day or two. Happen to see Belvoir having a practice match yesterday. A few new players on the ground. Not sure who they played against . Belvoir look a lot younger then last year . Just wondering if any others had practice games.??? Not many sleeps to go for the real thing !!!

Back