Cricket Albury/wodonga

Whilst I agree with the points made regarding this years premiers, yes the rules need clarifying, but as long as I have played cricket regardless of how the rules are written it has always been common sense a loss during the finals meant you lose your advantage of finishing higher on the ladder, St Pats advantage was to play the lower ranked side 1st week meaning in theory an easier game than the lower ranked sides than them, unfortunately for them they lost that advantage and im sure that if StPats believed they should still have been the highest ranked team they would have contested the result but then again they are the one side that ive played i believe would just accept the decision and move on. I personally never gave it a thought that Wodonga shouldn't have been awarded the premiership after the wash out. Just think if StPats didn't lose week one Wodonga would have played them a week earlier and would have to have beaten them to make it through to the GF......interesting......any way no rain in the GF StPats to chase down 300.... easy way to end this issue would be have a spare week end in case of lost time in a GF.....now the local footy didnt start the following week end did it? the ground was available to wasnt it? we only needed the Saturday, would have been a better result than a wash out, cant wait for next season.

Last edited:
I agree they are a side that seems to accept decisions and just move on. I also think that the toss of a coin or a bad decision in the finals can cost you a game, so all that hard work during the season is to no avail. Moving on has anyone heard of any player movements or retirements for next year?

I agree they are a side that seems to accept decisions and just move on. I also think that the toss of a coin or a bad decision in the finals can cost you a game, so all that hard work during the season is to no avail. Moving on has anyone heard of any player movements or retirements for next year?

I have herd that wodonga and albury had both approached andrew lade with fairly hefty money offers but he had turned them both down, not surprising he said no to either club, quite a few large egos at wodonga and he doesnt seem to be someone who would want to be there and albury are not very good. ive herd he is going to st pats were his son plays. it would be interesting if he plays 1st grade or 2nd/3rd grade with his son. maybe raiders will go after some bulldog players like nick beatie etc who were dropped for finals, not a bad idea to get the fringe players. also herd that marmo has been asked to play for wodonga as a keeper. he is a good keeper and herd he is a better batsmen than garvey, but surely youd keep garvey since he has played there for a long time. bit of a "dog" act if they replace him. also herd that james mcneil is moving to melbourne to play at heathcote with scammell. big loss for east if this is true.

I have heard that Andrew Lade wants to play in town next year apparently sick of travelling for training etc. but I have not heard where he wants to play. So Lade leaves and if Steve Woods retires again it will leave Tallangatta a bit short not much in the seconds. I would say Tallangatta will be looking round for a couple of big name players they seem to be able to find the money. They may look overseas again or try to sign up say someone like Tonkin and Bally after all they wanted out around xmas time, I suppose we just wait and see.

I have heard that Andrew Lade wants to play in town next year apparently sick of travelling for training etc. but I have not heard where he wants to play. So Lade leaves and if Steve Woods retires again it will leave Tallangatta a bit short not much in the seconds. I would say Tallangatta will be looking round for a couple of big name players they seem to be able to find the money. They may look overseas again or try to sign up say someone like Tonkin and Bally after all they wanted out around xmas time, I suppose we just wait and see.

They wanted out at xmas? wow, i bet you they are happy they stayed now. it will be interesting if they stay or leave

I see this thread has gone dead so I thought I might get it going. I see in Melbourne they run a mid year cricket competition call MYCA. They play one day games once a fortnight with the other weekend a reserve day in case of washouts. They went from 8 teams 4 years ago to over 50 now, would there be any call for a similar comp on the border? Suitable grounds would be the main problem and most likely Sunday games would suit most players. Anyone's thoughts?:)

I see this thread has gone dead so I thought I might get it going. I see in Melbourne they run a mid year cricket competition call MYCA. They play one day games once a fortnight with the other weekend a reserve day in case of washouts. They went from 8 teams 4 years ago to over 50 now, would there be any call for a similar comp on the border? Suitable grounds would be the main problem and most likely Sunday games would suit most players. Anyone's thoughts?:)
Would there actually be ANY grounds available? Certainly no turf wickets, and any decent hard wicket grounds would now be used for footy.......given the amount of guys that play footy, recon there would be zero interest!!!

Would there actually be ANY grounds available? Certainly no turf wickets, and any decent hard wicket grounds would now be used for footy.......given the amount of guys that play footy, recon there would be zero interest!!!
As I said it was only a question. Obviously it would be played on grounds with hard wickets but Emerald oval, xavier 2, Noreuil Park,willow pk 2 and Collings Park would all be suitable for use and no doubt Sunday's would be the only day suitable to play. Not everyone is a footy head but the choice of donning whites or watching Collingwood get beat is a pretty easy one.:D

As I said it was only a question. Obviously it would be played on grounds with hard wickets but Emerald oval, xavier 2, Noreuil Park,willow pk 2 and Collings Park would all be suitable for use and no doubt Sunday's would be the only day suitable to play. Not everyone is a footy head but the choice of donning whites or watching Collingwood get beat is a pretty easy one.:D

Some of those grounds might be used on Sundays for junior footy or Soccer.

Funny you mentioned this . Just walked pasted Willo 2 and saw about 20 guys getting ready for a game. Full whites , cones etc. They all looked really keen. If I was a club send someone down and maybe sign a few up for numbers.

Just reporting a rumur that i have heard from a couple of people. remember it is just hearsay though. but ive heard that robbie jackson is on on the move. i said to my mate i doubt it, but he was fairly certain, and then i heard it from someone else too! i still dunno though. i would have thought it was bally or tonk to leave first since robbie jackson has moulded the younger guys into young versions of him-mini d*heads haha jokes, not really. anyone from wodonga who isnt in the click, i am intersted how things are going within the playing group, i no quite few senior blokes were happy/not surprised when ball left at the start of last year, and with all the egos at the dogs, i would have thought there would be clashes. but maybe things will be rosy after the grand final win. will they keep all the players, with prople like nick beatte, mat dalbosco, leo mcgee missing out in seniors with saker, kline boonskate etc coming in, i wonder how many people will leave for more opportunity.

Just reporting a rumur that i have heard from a couple of people. remember it is just hearsay though. but ive heard that robbie jackson is on on the move. i said to my mate i doubt it, but he was fairly certain, and then i heard it from someone else too! i still dunno though. i would have thought it was bally or tonk to leave first since robbie jackson has moulded the younger guys into young versions of him-mini d*heads haha jokes, not really. anyone from wodonga who isnt in the click, i am intersted how things are going within the playing group, i no quite few senior blokes were happy/not surprised when ball left at the start of last year, and with all the egos at the dogs, i would have thought there would be clashes. but maybe things will be rosy after the grand final win. will they keep all the players, with prople like nick beatte, mat dalbosco, leo mcgee missing out in seniors with saker, kline boonskate etc coming in, i wonder how many people will leave for more opportunity.
I would be surprised if this was true, from experience its amazing how a premiership can bond a group so as i said id be surprised if anyone left, now having said that if there was anyone looking for more opportunities else where I know a club where there are plenty of opportunities available and I also know they are looking for a coach and are willing to put together a package for the right candidate.

I would be surprised if this was true, from experience its amazing how a premiership can bond a group so as i said id be surprised if anyone left, now having said that if there was anyone looking for more opportunities else where I know a club where there are plenty of opportunities available and I also know they are looking for a coach and are willing to put together a package for the right candidate.

Doesnt always happen jenno. look at lavi last year. they lost most of the team after the premiership! with a couple going to wodonga. whos to say they wont leave again!

Any Word of player movements over the off-season yet?
I have heard Will Brown, was heading to Tallangatta until a hiccup with the visa occurred & had to head home.
Also heard Dan Dixon is off to join the bandwagon at Wodonga, Hurts Albury's chances of trying to get up there.
Anymore Departures, confirmed arrivals etc?

JWM has been announced as our new coach for next season with hopefully a few new signings to come. As for Dicko I'd love to see him back in raiders colours again and go back to where it all began. Go you raider boys!:)

I have not heard of any player movements at this time but as for Robbie Jackson I don't know. After last years grand final I think it was at the mad Monday celebrations when interviewed by the paper he used words like this Club (Wodonga) has things in place and has a good structure now he did not mention anything about himself or intentions for the next season. Perhaps I may reading to much between the lines we will have to wait and see, and that won't be to long pre season should start in about 2months. Excuse my ignorance but who is JWM Raider Boi?.

JWM has been announced as our new coach for next season with hopefully a few new signings to come. As for Dicko I'd love to see him back in raiders colours again and go back to where it all began. Go you raider boys!:)
surely JWM is not the same guy that has been loyal to about half a dozen clubs for a year or two before moving on? If so, not really sure if that is a positive move for a young up and coming club to move forward! If it is, enjoy his services for one season before it gets all too hard for him.

surely JWM is not the same guy that has been loyal to about half a dozen clubs for a year or two before moving on? If so, not really sure if that is a positive move for a young up and coming club to move forward! If it is, enjoy his services for one season before it gets all too hard for him.
I don't think the club is under any illusions that he'll be a long term player given his past record but if we can get 2-3 good years service out of him that would be a bonus. I'm sure after next season Belvoir will come knocking on his door as they do with most of our players:rolleyes:

I don't think the club is under any illusions that he'll be a long term player given his past record but if we can get 2-3 good years service out of him that would be a bonus. I'm sure after next season Belvoir will come knocking on his door as they do with most of our players:rolleyes:

Nice call Raider Boi !!! Hopefully he can bring few mates who will enjoy a great club.
Dixon could well go t Wodonga as he lives not far from The Mc Cheese .

It's been a while since JMW played a full year at a football or cricket club so good luck Raiders. Are clubs getting more and more desperate for players or is it just me?

Back