Cricket Albury/wodonga

Apparently the BIG Bash is on again this year and from all reports it's going to be bigger and better.[/Q

I heard that on the radio a couple of months ago, but nothing since.

I am not sure who would run it. Lavington Panthers didn't run it last season as they wanted to concentrate on celebrating their centenary, now that is over they might decide to run it again. I also think that Gary Tonkin was keen to run it, after being disappointed that it wasn't run last season.

Future_Cricket_Tra i was under the imperssion that Gary Tonkin ran it from day 1? i thought it was agood idea but thought it wasnt run well at all. hopefully if it is on this year some new people get involved because it wasnt very apealing after the first night in the first year.

Future_Cricket_Tra i was under the imperssion that Gary Tonkin ran it from day 1? i thought it was agood idea but thought it wasnt run well at all. hopefully if it is on this year some new people get involved because it wasnt very apealing after the first night in the first year.
You are partly right Mick. Gary ran it as a member of the Lavington Panthers committee.

its pretty quite on here considering the season is less then 2 weeks away. anyone willing to make some predictions for provincial and district.
Mine are for provincial Wodonga, St pats, Lavy, East albury, Belviour, Tallangatta, Albury, New city, Raiders
For district Eskdale, Mt beauty, Baranduda, Kiewa, Dederang, Yack, Howlong, Barny, Bethanga, Wodonga

Well it has been very quite. Here's some rumors which may be true or just rumors.
New City struggling for numbers with a heap gone to Baranduda.
Wodonga over flowing with imports and training for 4 hours due to high numbers.
Belvoir have got from Wodonga not sure who .
Raiders have stepped up training with better numbers and plenty of new faces. Plus some old timers . Be ready for a few surpises from them.
There should be a few practice matches this weekend you would hope.
Howlong got pumped in there's the other week.
St Pats going all out to win this seanson and Butters isn't taking anyone for a easy ride. Lade to play two's with his son.
Yack have picked up a new coach .
Stay tuned it's nearly upon us.

Pretty quiet off season in comparison to last. Will be interesting to see how sides stack up round one. Lose off a few from each club from all rumours I've heard.

My thoughts

St pats
East Albury
Tallangatta
Wodonga
Lavi
North
Belvoir
Albury
New City
Raiders

Currently trending #playapom #relegateraiders #ratherabye #morecompetitive

Pretty quiet off season in comparison to last. Will be interesting to see how sides stack up round one. Lose off a few from each club from all rumours I've heard.

My thoughts

St pats
East Albury
Tallangatta
Wodonga
Lavi
North
Belvoir
Albury
New City
Raiders

Do you really think Tallangatta can finish third if Lade is not playing?

My thoughts

St pats
East Albury
Tallangatta
Wodonga
Lavi
North
Belvoir
Albury
New City
Raiders

Gee that's a bit harsh on Raiders. What will happen when they win a game. They are young and have plenty of heart . Yes I know they don't have the skill but the did make a few runs last year. With Marmo on board things have already changed. Hopefully upset a few.
St Pats
East Albury
Wodonga ( The Kennel in exploded and rebuild with help of there juniors )
Lavi
North Albury
Talangatta ( Woody to go around again )
Raiders
Belvoir
New City
Albury

In the end this may mean nothing but it's just a bit of fun !!!

Nice work got him gone.. Not good to see you being positive about Raiders chances, I got a few for you #no clue #give them a chance #every provincial club has been in the same position #raiders to suprise a few.

After a long hiatus million happy has returned and with the start of the season iminient, this thread is really starting to heat up.

My thoughts (for what it's worth)
St pats (nearly have to be odds on favourites with new recruits)
Wodonga will be very much in the mix but the next six sides a blanket could be thrown over them. So here goes

St pats
Wodonga
East albury
Lavington
Tallangatta
North
Raiders
Belvoir
Albury
New city

Also great to see the St. Pats cricket club unveiling a memorial hill for the late pup hensel and CAW for honouring him with a minute silence before round 1. Really puts all this in perspective so please don't take things too seriously on this thread.

Thanks for your support Manny and good luck @ Kiewa this season,oh I think you were refering to off the blades comment, yes this is just a bit of fun but it does make me laugh how ppl can take pot shots at other club while hiding behind fake names and a keyboard..... Realy if you believe so strongly in Raiders not being in the Provincial comp to plaster it all over the internet then you would at-least have the balls to put your name to your comments, Ive got respect for TBall whilst i didnt agree with his comments he had the kohunas to put his name to his comments...#dontinsultpplspride #maybiteuinbum #offthebladenarrowminded

App
Sorry, what comment are you referring too? Maybe if you had a crack of typing with your fingers and stop hash tagging like all the uncool kids do these days, people might get your point!
oappoligies
Sorry, what comment are you referring too? Maybe if you had a crack of typing with your fingers and stop hash tagging like all the uncool kids do these days, people might get your point!
Appolgies got him gone should have been directed to off the blade

Looking forward to the first few rounds this season usually get a fair indication of where sides are at.
Hard to go past wodonga again.
My tips are
St pats
Wodonga
East albury
Lavington
Albury
Tallangatta
North Albury
Raiders
New city
Belvior

Good luck to all players this season

Finally the first day of the season is upon us. Not so much traffic on here as normal before the season begins but I'm sure with the first round heating up plenty of opinions will be offered.

Seems from the looks that most clubs are taking on the overseas venture and introducing U.K. imports to their clubs. This seems like a great idea in principle and having met a lot of these young men in the last few years they have added to our small communities and been a pleasure to have.
But where does the buck stop? Does it now become a competition of who has the best credentialed and performing overseas players? Where does this leave our young 16-24 year olds who are the most vulnerable to leaving the sport?
Is local cricket into the same process as local footy in which only a select number of clubs with strong financial backing will achieve success not for their talent but for their bank account?
Other than the possible playing success which is honestly only one club a year what do other clubs get out of it? I have seen coaching and junior development as a role young U.K. players are taking, but as a caw community, the development of partnerships and systems allowing our young cricketers time overseas seems limited to a few.
Be interested to hear what people think about this and the opportunities in which our young school leavers and very talented cricketers are getting to play and further their cricketing skills overseas?

With this start of year upon us I thought I too would put down some predictions....

Provincial 1st Grade

St. Pats
Wodonga
Tallangatta
East Albury
Lavington
North Albury
Albury
Wodonga Raiders
New City
Belvoir

District 1st Grade

Kiewa
Yackandandah
Eskdale
Baranduda
Mt beauty
Dederang
Barny Chiltern
Bethanga
Howlong
Wodonga

Hope we get to see some great cricket today...

Winners round one:

Wodonga Raiders- There has been a lot of hype coming out of raider nation of the past few weeks. Over the off season they targeted a number of players to boost their chances for success. Their win Saturday gives them hope and enthusiasm for the first half of the year of being a competitive club through summer.

Losers:

Albury- Disappointing from a team which took some big scalps last season. Knocked off by a good East Albury unit. I'm sure they would have liked to be more competitive in the first match of the year. Hopefully for their sake they turn it around this weekend.

Winners
B/C Miners- A club which has heaped pressure on themselves after claming they wouldn't be outrighted during the week, would have been very nervous at the end of the first innings. Credit to them to gather 1st innings on Saturday against a long time foe in Dederang.

Losers:
Teams which continually change batting line ups- The old saying is once bitten twice shy, but clubs continually play this card when chasing small totals. Momentum is a huge thing at any level of sport and sometimes it's just best to play straight and keep things simple.

Back