Cricket Albury/wodonga

Winners round one:

Wodonga Raiders- There has been a lot of hype coming out of raider nation of the past few weeks. Over the off season they targeted a number of players to boost their chances for success. Their win Saturday gives them hope and enthusiasm for the first half of the year of being a competitive club through summer.

Losers:

Albury- Disappointing from a team which took some big scalps last season. Knocked off by a good East Albury unit. I'm sure they would have liked to be more competitive in the first match of the year. Hopefully for their sake they turn it around this weekend.

Winners
B/C Miners- A club which has heaped pressure on themselves after claming they wouldn't be outrighted during the week, would have been very nervous at the end of the first innings. Credit to them to gather 1st innings on Saturday against a long time foe in Dederang.

Losers:
Teams which continually change batting line ups- The old saying is once bitten twice shy, but clubs continually play this card when chasing small totals. Momentum is a huge thing at any level of sport and sometimes it's just best to play straight and keep things simple.
Great win by the Raiders; and in both grades which is important! And the team they beat so easily would be the biggest disappointment.

Few big games this week be interesting to see how Tallangatta responds against New City and power clubs East Albury and Wodonga square off.

Gee runs galore. Pitches must be really good for this time of the year. Watch Raiders bowl yesterday and let me say this. Had St Pats in trouble early until Restall was in. He seems to have so much time at the crease. They missed two run outs which might have changed the game alot more. Back luck on the lose but there's plenty to look forward to. No more easy beats and with more training and keeping the kids keen will shock more than once.
Ok let's see how many runs A.Lade makes this season. Also how many wickets he takes. He still has it and I bet St Pats are glad to have him on board.
Tallangatta lost with two imports so it might be long season for them.

Yeah certainly was heaps of runs on the weekend, East Albury's wicket seems to be a bit more batsman friendly this seasons with over 650 runs scored. As Bally said in the paper it may be a long season for the bowlers. Also had a look at St Pats and Raiders I would have to say Raiders had the best of the conditions, had at look at the wicket at Tea Sunday and it was breaking up, very uneven bounce and lots of spin I suppose its only early in the season. Looks like more good games this weekend. One thing I have seen coming into the game from some teams is their appealing, in my mind it is over the top, players running toward the umpires hands in the air from square leg etc. for lbw decisions and carry their appeal on. Umpires have a pretty hard job as it is, I would find it a bit intimidating. Umpires would be within their rights to speak to captains about this sort of behaviour and perhaps take some course of action!.

Winners & Losers this week:

Provincial-
Winners:
Wodonga showed why they will be a force this year. Scores to jackson, tonkin and ball and a solid bowling effort shows they're right up with the top group this year.

Losers:
Tallangatta have had a disastrous start to the season. Losses to wodonga raiders and new city have most thinking it could be a long year for the bushies.

District-

Winners:
Eskdale showed why it is defending a premiership.

Losers:
Dederang, would have backed themselves against barny/chiltern in round one but a poor showing with the bat set up a tough loss in round one.

Yeah definitely runs galore. In my opinion, tracks are hard but how much of it comes down to the ball? Platypus straight up and down. Not fair for the bowlers. Bring back the kookas. Make it an even contest. Test a few techniques.

Looked like a good weekend to be a batsmen, i dont think the balls will make a huge difference if they were using kookas. Couple good 100's hit by the looks of it, i heard the Lavington wicket was very spongey & was more for the bowlers. Hard to imagine.
What is everyones tips this week, its looking like a very even comp thus season

Gee another season and it's about the ball didn't we through this a few seasons back. If you look at the wickets they are the ones which haven't had any footy on them for a awhile. But also alot of praise should go to the guys getting them up .
Is anyone going to tip Raiders over East Albury ? It should be a cracking game . They are building and hopefully play finals this year. I have noticed that Wodonga have a junior as captain. That would be tough with all these experienced imports. North are flying under the radar and will push for finals aswell. Not much happening at the Eagles nest. By the way CAW piss off saturday/sunday games.

Interesting weekend of cricket, good to see Tallangatta pressing for a victory on day one. Belvoir score vs lavington is it competitive?? East albury possibly flexing its muscle of young talent against Raiders?? And just on a side note Wodonga 2nds totalling up 380 odd shows the depth of a strong club.

District wise pretty quiet good to see Anthony Miles come back to howlong and give a slow start to the season a lift against kiewa.

I totally agree Saturday Sunday with the exception of finals cricket. It's very hard in an amateur sports competition to juggle playing and weekend work. Continually scheduling is an issue but there is merit in exploring other avenues such as groups and play offs in the future to allow all teams fair chance.

Interesting weekend of cricket, good to see Tallangatta pressing for a victory on day one. Belvoir score vs lavington is it competitive?? East albury possibly flexing its muscle of young talent against Raiders?? And just on a side note Wodonga 2nds totalling up 380 odd shows the depth of a strong club.

District wise pretty quiet good to see Anthony Miles come back to howlong and give a slow start to the season a lift against kiewa.

I totally agree Saturday Sunday with the exception of finals cricket. It's very hard in an amateur sports competition to juggle playing and weekend work. Continually scheduling is an issue but there is merit in exploring other avenues such as groups and play offs in the future to allow all teams fair chance.

think Tallangatta will win, Wodonga's 380 massive against a second grade team as good as St.Pat's, lots of depth there.

Good to see father sons in the league with Daisy and Spitta's young fellas playing at raiders and belvoir. Nick and Steve Wood at tallangatta last year also.

news coming out of the hoppers is a number of seconds players are not happy and if things dont change soon will find other clubs.

tallangatta should hang for a win, is 380 goin to be enough for wodonga when lade is playing second's?

news coming out of the hoppers is a number of seconds players are not happy and if things dont change soon will find other clubs.

tallangatta should hang for a win, is 380 goin to be enough for wodonga when lade is playing second's?

Why would the 2nds players at North be upset?

Who is everyone tipping this week, can Albury chase down New City?

Well the Raiders have had a little set back with the Pom going home. All good they have a few more tricks up there sleeve. It's alot for a teenager to come over here. Hopefully they can put up a fight against East Albury.
How long before Lade play's one's ? He still has it . It might be a case of putting his son in the ones ?
CAW Bulldogs are going along nicely and seem to get out of trouble easy.
Who made the draw? In district you have A inbetween weeks and B Grade starting a new game? What the hell is going on there. Also Prov B playing on carpet isn't good either.
The big bash is around the corner hopefully all clubs get behind it and support two great causes. All the best and let's hope the rain stays away tomorrow.

Well the Raiders have had a little set back with the Pom going home. All good they have a few more tricks up there sleeve. It's alot for a teenager to come over here. Hopefully they can put up a fight against East Albury.
How long before Lade play's one's ? He still has it . It might be a case of putting his son in the ones ?
CAW Bulldogs are going along nicely and seem to get out of trouble easy.
Who made the draw? In district you have A inbetween weeks and B Grade starting a new game? What the hell is going on there. Also Prov B playing on carpet isn't good either.
The big bash is around the corner hopefully all clubs get behind it and support two great causes. All the best and let's hope the rain stays away tomorrow.

Wodonga looks to be the form team defeating both East Albury and St Pats early in the season. Looking at the group they have it isnt hard pressed to see why.
As for the turf issue, i believe due to Relay for Life games were moved as Wodonga Raiders held the latest day. It gives more credibility to a ground being reproduced at John Flower in Wodonga allowing Wodonga to use both grounds for their ever expanding group. Scots is currently being used for games for Wodonga district and Willow Park is out of action. Is it time that CAW looks at putting in facilities at these smaller grounds such as Emerald Avenue, Ernest Grant, or Alexandra Park 2. There are other options im sure, and I know it may seem like a stupid idea but Wodonga Raiders will need a home at times due to the use of the ground for community activities, Lavington will need a temporary home during late February and early march due to AFL commitments Wodonga currently dont have a secondary home for district and continually we see at least some games on carpet each year due to scheduling issues.

Is anyone worried about the continual dominance of the big three clubs in Provincial? East Albury and St Pats still seem a step away from Wodonga but between that it seems like daylight. North are pressing but other than that Lavington, Belvoir, Albury, Radiers, Tallangatta New City all seem in the same position they were last year. None have really laid claim to the top three and looking at results some have slightly fallen. When will it be the next time Albury wins a grandfinal? Belvoir has a purple patch to claim an elusive provincial final? New City relive the glory days of premierships?
I'm sure in saying cricket is not the most popular sport in Albury Wodonga and dominated by football in the local media, its important the sport stays viable for the future not only in the communities eyes but in players eyes and clubs know just like in football they have a chance of success every year.

Finally a big shout out to Bethanga Cricket Club have been building a good product for the last three or four years with a lot of local juniors and capped off a big win against Mt Beauty on the Weekend. Congrats Lads!

Those big 3 must be doing something right then, success breads success. I don't see anything wrong with how they go about things, unless playersare getting paid - doubtful.
I see u mentioned Albury & implying they aren't going to win a flag anytime soon, they are my smokey this season, had 4 bowlers last year take 20+ wickets & there batting seems to have improved a lot, got two poms who haven't fire a shot yet!
St pats are the ones for me, great all round spread will step up come finals time. With Lade to make a come back.

I have to ask what happened with Raiders yesterday, almost rolled for 55. Looks like an amazing spell from White?
North Albury looked to do it pretty easy in the end, where are tallangatta at, Is finals out of the question for them?

If you think players dont get paid to play cricket you are living under a rock. andrew lade and steve wood ave been paid for years, marmo would have been offered good money to play at raiders and drew cameron was given money to play for belvoir. thats just a few i can think of. i know marmo is coach so you can understand why he gets paid. i have heard new city pays there players 'petrol money'. 50 bucks a week is a lot when most other teams are paying there fees to play. money in cricket will ruin the local leagues. especially wehn a 16 year old at new city gets paid and luke restall dosnt. not to mention paying to get overseas players.

Yeah money is something in which is starting to crop up in local circles. Overseas players are a hot topic I have spoken about before.

Anyone think there will be many list changes before December?? Any players moving or players on the couch getting the itch back?? Always one or two players not happy with the year moving around. interested to hear thoughts

Should be a big day of cricket and the first real warm one of the year with the tops in the mid 30s. Really hoping we see some top class cricket as we have in the last few weeks.
Interesting to see former Association leading wicket taker Brad Neyland back in the side. He will be a huge pick up for a club already on top of their game.
Dan Dixon showed his class last week and the depth in which the club has picking up wickets to get them a big win.
Interesting in district barny chiltern could be 3-0 after this game and it certainly would be years since we have seen that.
Kiewa look like a form team and additions of Mann and curphey have strengthened a already strong batting line up.

Good luck teams this week.

Holy crap what happened between Raiders and Wodonga. Very low score. Some very interesting scores. Another one dayer today in the heat. There's going to be some sore old grumpy bodies tomorrow.

Back