Cricket Albury/wodonga

So lets recap what i no with all the movemts this year. is it just me or are there alot more people changing clubs this year?

greg daniel-city colts
josh warrenmarmo-city colts
james tonkin-wodonga
brendan kb-wodonga
trent ball-wodonga
sam oconner-east albury
drew cameron-belvoir
zack simmonds-belvoir
tom cencic-belvoir
brandon n john purtell-north albury?
jessie griffiths-north albury
jerim hays-albury

these are just what ive herd, not 100 percent but just what rumors are going around. feel free to add or remove players.

what are peoples ideas on changing ideas? i think there are good times to change, like if you arent getting a good go at their own club, then leave, but just to leave because they think another team will be more competitive is wrong, i think anyway.

thisis my early ladder for the end of the year.

wodonga
east albury
belvoir
st pats
albury
north
tall
lavi
raiders
new city

thoughts?

so i have heard on the grapevine that brandon purtell been told he will be paid $50 per game to play at new city, surely this is not true. cricket is a gentlemans game and it would be a disgrace if new city are paying players, especially young players. i have heard rumors that andrew lade gets paid to play at tallangatta as well. if this is true, cricket will become like country football and players will shop themselves to the highest bidder. on anohter note, talking about pre season games, i drove by bilson yesterday arvo and stopped to watch albury in a net session. there was only about 10 blokes there but most if not all were 1st grade players, with hayesy and dan dixon watching. but it was interesting to see sam oconner there batting and bowling. i may have been wrong about him going to east albury!

so i have heard on the grapevine that brandon purtell been told he will be paid $50 per game to play at new city, surely this is not true. cricket is a gentlemans game and it would be a disgrace if new city are paying players, especially young players. i have heard rumors that andrew lade gets paid to play at tallangatta as well. if this is true, cricket will become like country football and players will shop themselves to the highest bidder. on anohter note, talking about pre season games, i drove by bilson yesterday arvo and stopped to watch albury in a net session. there was only about 10 blokes there but most if not all were 1st grade players, with hayesy and dan dixon watching. but it was interesting to see sam oconner there batting and bowling. i may have been wrong about him going to east albury!

Are you sure that it was Sam O'Conner ? Sam has been training at Lavington Panthers all pre-season, as far as I know he hasn't missed one session.

Let's leave Wodonga alone for a day or two. Happen to see Belvoir having a practice match yesterday. A few new players on the ground. Not sure who they played against . Belvoir look a lot younger then last year . Just wondering if any others had practice games.??? Not many sleeps to go for the real thing !!!

I'm happy for people to get stuck into Wodonga and to give my club (Lavington Panthers) a much needed break.:)

Okay only a few day to go to round 1.
Who is everyone final 5?
Biggest suprise?
Headline of the year?
Biggest disapointment?
Highest Run Scorer?
Highest Wicket taker?
Is Rep Cricket to be dominated by imports?
Who has Recruited the best?

My tips this week - Belvior over Lavington
- Albury over New City
- Tallangatta over North Albury
- St Pats over Wodonga
- East Albury over Raiders

Anyone read the profiles in the Border Mail today? How's Robbie Jackson's form? Question - "Who is your most important player?" - Jacko "Probably the coach I would have thought". Ha, talk yourself up why don't you!

The next question should've been "Who has the biggest ego?" Although he's probably got a couple of competitors for that title in his team nowadays.

Gotta love a bloke with a bit of self confidence.

Who is everyone final 5? East, St Pats, Belvoir, Albury, Wodonga.
Biggest suprise? Albury.
Headline of the year? Run feast at East.
Biggest disapointment? Wodonga.
Highest Run Scorer? Restall.
Highest Wicket taker? ????
Is Rep Cricket to be dominated by imports? No.
Who has Recruited the best? East Albury.

This week - Belvior over Lavington
- Albury over New City
- North Albury over Tallangatta
- Wodonga over St Pats
- East Albury over Raiders

Who is everyone final 5? East, Wodonga, St Pats, Belvoir, Lavington
Biggest surprise? Lavington
Headline of the year? Why did we bring new teams up?????
Biggest disapointment? Raiders
Highest Run Scorer? R.Jackson
Highest Wicket taker? R.Hartnett
Is Rep Cricket to be dominated by imports? Yes

Who is everyone final 5? East, Lavington, Albury, Wodonga, Belvoir,
Biggest surprise? Albury
Headline of the year? Imports fail in Rep Cricket
Biggest disapointment? Wodonga - anything but premiers would be a disappointment
Highest Run Scorer? Andrew Taylor
Highest Wicket taker? Mark Butters
Is Rep Cricket to be dominated by imports? Yes - but don't get the results

This week -
Belvior over Lavington
Albury over New City
North Albury over Tallangatta
Wodonga over St Pats
East Albury over Raiders

Well watched most of Lavi's innings. Gee Kelly Park pitch was bounchy but the spinners had there measure. Eggy and Simmonds bowling in tandem was really good . Belvoir had a lot of luck in the field so when it's your day it's your day.
Well done Raiders on batting out the overs who knows they might get a upset one game. Who knows it could be against North on sunday.
Can't believe CAW is playing Saturday and sunday . I bet there's a few teams struggling for numbers.

Well watched most of Lavi's innings. Gee Kelly Park pitch was bounchy but the spinners had there measure. Eggy and Simmonds bowling in tandem was really good . Belvoir had a lot of luck in the field so when it's your day it's your day.
Well done Raiders on batting out the overs who knows they might get a upset one game. Who knows it could be against North on sunday.
Can't believe CAW is playing Saturday and sunday . I bet there's a few teams struggling for numbers.

Thanks big guys dont run....the boys dug in on saturday not that the east albury guys were that happy about it...not sure why...maybe they expected us to just throw it away and get bowled out inside 15 overs or something..like the rest of the competition thinks will happen week in week out....any way its going to be a big week end for us, 1st crack at some defectors...lol...should be interesting to say the least!!!

jenno no doubt you play for raiders. so it read in the paper that you guys just blocked out the 50 overs, any reason why you didnt try and chase down the runs. surely losing by 30 runs and everyone having some match batting practice is better than losing by 90 and only 6 or 8 blokes getting a bat. will be interesting to see how much you have to say after th 'defectors' get the last laugh this week. talk to us next week.

jenno no doubt you play for raiders. so it read in the paper that you guys just blocked out the 50 overs, any reason why you didnt try and chase down the runs. surely losing by 30 runs and everyone having some match batting practice is better than losing by 90 and only 6 or 8 blokes getting a bat. will be interesting to see how much you have to say after th 'defectors' get the last laugh this week. talk to us next week.

Well this doesn't really warrant a reply but I will give you one anyway....firstly you obviously don't play for East Alburys A Grade side nor were you at the game on Saturday other wise you would know what was in the paper was not 100% correct yes we did decide to bat our overs out 1/2 way through our innings but what you didn't read in the paper was how well they bowled to us early, they kept the pressure on our top order and made it very difficult to score the only thing they couldn't do early doors was take wickets, then after they got 3 or 4 quick that's when we decided to bat out our allowance of overs and use the time at the crease for the remaining batsman rather than as you put it chase runs and have it left to the tail to hold on and try and keep the game going on so as far as time in the middle I believe we achieved that by giving our batsman the responsibility of occupying the crease, as long as i have been playing cricket (which is quite some time now) it has always been the bowling sides job to get the batting side out has it not?
We will continue to use game time in what ever manner we see fit and if that is going to annoy or piss off the rest of the competition then tuff don't care if you don't want us here don't care if the other 8 teams don't want us here YOUR ALL STUCK WITH US! Now as for the getting the last laugh well the result is not important atm for us and seriously there is no pressure on us at all to win games its more how we go about getting time into our players and what they need to do to raise their game to this new level, now im more than happy to go through our game with you here each week if you like but no matter what you or anyone else thinks we will approach all our games the way we believe to be in the best interest for the Wodonga Raiders, Oh and by the way I don't personally know you or where you play I wouldn't pass judgement on you or your club on the way they play their cricket never have never will my only concern is how my club conducts its self.
Regards
Steve Jennings

Well this doesn't really warrant a reply but I will give you one anyway....firstly you obviously don't play for East Alburys A Grade side nor were you at the game on Saturday other wise you would know what was in the paper was not 100% correct yes we did decide to bat our overs out 1/2 way through our innings but what you didn't read in the paper was how well they bowled to us early, they kept the pressure on our top order and made it very difficult to score the only thing they couldn't do early doors was take wickets, then after they got 3 or 4 quick that's when we decided to bat out our allowance of overs and use the time at the crease for the remaining batsman rather than as you put it chase runs and have it left to the tail to hold on and try and keep the game going on so as far as time in the middle I believe we achieved that by giving our batsman the responsibility of occupying the crease, as long as i have been playing cricket (which is quite some time now) it has always been the bowling sides job to get the batting side out has it not?
We will continue to use game time in what ever manner we see fit and if that is going to annoy or piss off the rest of the competition then tuff don't care if you don't want us here don't care if the other 8 teams don't want us here YOUR ALL STUCK WITH US! Now as for the getting the last laugh well the result is not important atm for us and seriously there is no pressure on us at all to win games its more how we go about getting time into our players and what they need to do to raise their game to this new level, now im more than happy to go through our game with you here each week if you like but no matter what you or anyone else thinks we will approach all our games the way we believe to be in the best interest for the Wodonga Raiders, Oh and by the way I don't personally know you or where you play I wouldn't pass judgement on you or your club on the way they play their cricket never have never will my only concern is how my club conducts its self.
Regards
Steve Jennings

jenno, firstly, get over yourself. i play thirds so i dont care if you play provincial or not because i play your thirds side regardless. secondly, you can only win by scoring more runs than your opposition, and thats the batsmen's job isnt it? you guys are playing one dayers at the moment, batting for a draw isnt going to get you a win, and winning is the reason we play sport. You are correct, i wasn't at the game, i was watching our a grade win, and they won because they scored more runs than their opposition. if it's not about getting the last laugh, why say that you look forward playing the defectors? surely you want the last laugh in beating them and showing that they made the wrong decision in leaving?

jenno, firstly, get over yourself. i play thirds so i dont care if you play provincial or not because i play your thirds side regardless. secondly, you can only win by scoring more runs than your opposition, and thats the batsmen's job isnt it? you guys are playing one dayers at the moment, batting for a draw isnt going to get you a win, and winning is the reason we play sport. You are correct, i wasn't at the game, i was watching our a grade win, and they won because they scored more runs than their opposition. if it's not about getting the last laugh, why say that you look forward playing the defectors? surely you want the last laugh in beating them and showing that they made the wrong decision in leaving?
Shakes head...no comment

Well another round is here. What's the go with saturday sunday games. ??
Well I tipping Raiders for win against North.
Belvoir V Raiders will be a cracker . With Raiders getting afew back to help out. Will spin bowling be the difference? How many will Nat The Bat make ?
Can New City cause another up set. ??
Also very interested in why Dederang V Bulldogs 3rds didn't play last week??
Look at this way Jenno you took points off East by batting out the overs. Who knows they might need them later on !!!

Aren't the eagles on fire early, Nat the bat is churning out the runs and Zac Simmonds showing everyone how he took 40 wickets in the district comp last season. Happy that the 2dayers get under way this weekend and very keen to see how the eagles go. Have always had a soft spot for them all ripper blokes. And as for the Albury v Wodonga game, well... how good is that for the comp!

I'm not a really a supporter of playing one dayers but with 3 back to back it has certainly got us in to the season pretty quickly with some interesting results.
Belvoir are off to a flyer, imagine if relegation was still in place they would be roaming around the district grades. The Panther boys are almost the opposite from Premiers to near bottom, they've got a bit of work ahead of them. New City should be very happy to be 2 and 1at this stage, I didn't pick that. See how they go in the full length matches. Bit of a stumble from Wodonga, well done to Albury and East seems to be going along quite nicely. Bring on the two dayers!!!

Aren't the eagles on fire early, Nat the bat is churning out the runs and Zac Simmonds showing everyone how he took 40 wickets in the district comp last season. Happy that the 2dayers get under way this weekend and very keen to see how the eagles go. Have always had a soft spot for them all ripper blokes. And as for the Albury v Wodonga game, well... how good is that for the comp!
What a great couple of rounds have been played so far with a few upsets already, looking forward to the 2 day stuff getting underway. Looking at the teams in the provincial comp so far this is what my thoughts are
* Wodonga are deserved flag favorites and despite an upset against Albury should go all the way. Not a word of any players cracking it sitting out in the 2's...so far
* East Albury look like another class outfit with McNeil coaching should be thereabouts
* Belvoir and New City being the biggest surprises. The Eagles have recruited strongly and look like pushing for top 4, depth out of their 2's could be a problem. New City has a couple of class poms firing at the moment and some promising kids coming through, will be tested in the 2 day format I think.
* Lavi and St Pats look like slipping back 3 or 4 rungs, with both clubs losing plenty of players to Albury and Wodonga. North look in the same boat with plenty of the older blokes out the door but Middo has some promising kids to work with.
* Albury and Tallangatta are unknown quantities. The Titans look to have the talent on paper but will take at least half a season to see what their worth. Tallangatta are looking like a handy side, might push for finals but would definitly dominate the super rules comp.:p
* Raiders should of stayed in the District comp for another year. Have some good kids coming through but barely any seniors players to back them up. Maybe they could have a crack at a few fringe players from some of the stronger clubs to get some talent on the park.

Any thoughts out there?

Back