Cricket Brain Teaser

Re: Cricket Brain Teaser

Reggie Duff;354045 said:
You'll need to come up with a tougher question than that!! - Answer;

No appeal to central umpire for LBW on last ball of over,
Umpires change positions for next over,
BEFORE bowler commences his run up an appeal is made,
The central umpire who was officiating for the delivery, who is now at the strikers end will consider the appeal and make a decision.

Surely, the ball is dead once 'over' is called.

could it be the normal umpire knows th appeal is an lbw but thinks that a throw has occured and goes to confer with the square leg umpire who confirms it wasn't a throw thereby giving it out.

La Gecko;353846 said:
Hehe It's not in that rule that confirmed the answer.

I have also edited one of my previous posts as I stated something wrong about the circumstances in which this scenario takes place... have a look it will give you a hint.

Its a tight game.The batsman is hit on the pads.They run,the bowler scampers to field and in the commotion the central umpire is knocked off his perch on to his arse,bangs his shoulder on the pitch and all the while fieldsman and bowler are appealing vigorously.Battered and bruised and unable to give the batsman the finger off death because of his predicament he turns to the square leg umpire gives him a nod and from there the square leg umpire delivers the LBW decision!

I suppose that could happen?

mas cambios;354081 said:
Surely, the ball is dead once 'over' is called.

You are right - the ball certainly is dead, but as any cricketer who has taken the time to learn the rules of the game would know, an appeal can be made at any time until the call of time, or the bowler commencing his run up for the next delivery, or if no run up, the commencement of his bowling action. "The call of over does not invalidate an appeal made prior to the start of the following over provided time has not been called." You might want to have a quick read of Law 27.3

Back