Cricket Snooker

mas cambios

Cricket Snooker

I thought I'd start off the coaching section of simplyCricket with a simple, yet fun, bowling drill which is known as cricket snooker.

This drill is a good way to improve the accuracy of both your line and length by giving you small targets to aim for. It is also something which can be used by all types, from pace to leg spin.

The aim is to hit a target (normally a cricket ball, however start with something bigger if needed) which has been placed at a specific point on the wicket. Bowl 10 balls and see how many times you can actually hit the target. Use the target to troublesome areas, such getting the ball to pitch in line with off, or just short of a good length.

As you get better, have someone move the ball to another point after you've hit it, if you can land the ball on the targets 10 out of 10, you may well be on the way to international stardom!

Re: Cricket Snooker

Great guide. I hope this will help me improve my accuracy. I have a tendency to spray some balls down the leg side that is on the rare occasion that I bowl.

Yeah, I have heard of this method.

I think when Bedi (the Indian spinner) came to England, he was just giving some kids tips... so, he gets a 20p coin, places it on the pitch and is able to get the ball to land on the coin time after time! Now that's accuracy for you!

Indeed, being able to hit a 20p is the hall mark of a great bowler and one who takes their craft seriously.

You'd have to wonder, if after that bowl out the other day if the Pakistan team could could hit a dinner plate :p

Thing is, its very doubtful English folk are as likely to hit, the thing is, from youngsters we are taught to love the game and play it for the team, without the mentality to win, and with that mentality the likes of Australia and India have been brought to the top because players from a young age are willing to put in the hard yards, even bowling 100 deliveries on a 20p coin!

That is probably true but that attitude also marks out a winner from an also ran!

The thing is to try to make the drills fun so that the kids don't mind practicing them.

Fun drills is exactly what coaches should be doing from when kids start at under 6 level.

I myself am in the process of trying to get my "badges," for cricket coaching and am up to a reasonable level, and infact help coach an under 8's team and an under 12's team which my cousin plays for.

So i keep on asking him "was it fun," because to be honest, i know what trying is like, and if it becomes more like a "I have to go," rather than "I want to go," then you know things are going down.

Good fun drills which have meaning = Success!

im going 2 give this a go, need 2 work on my line and then ill b deadyl and bashing you poms in 1o years time! ;) :p

This is a good one A_A, may well give it a go. May adapt it a bit though, maybe tape a rectangle in the corridor and try and land it inside that, as it may be a bit more rewarding.

You can put the marker anywhere you like as it's a drill about control as much as anything else.

However, you probably want to get someone to bat for a little while, see where they come to if they play a big forward defensive and then have the marker a little further back than that.

Some of you may have seen the 'corridor of uncertaintity on the Mavericks website. It's basically a strip of carpet put where you want on a length to hit the stumps where you want. It's quite pricey and can be easily reproduced with vinyl flooring, that can be painted/written on for coaching.

Visual aids are fantastic and with targets drawn on mats, the kids (and seniors) can score extra points for hitting the mat and a target.

leggeb4 said:
Some of you may have seen the 'corridor of uncertaintity on the Mavericks website. It's basically a strip of carpet put where you want on a length to hit the stumps where you want. It's quite pricey and can be easily reproduced with vinyl flooring, that can be painted/written on for coaching.

Visual aids are fantastic and with targets drawn on mats, the kids (and seniors) can score extra points for hitting the mat and a target.

Something similar to what you're talking about can be found here.

nice one A_A i practice it a lot and my accuracy is getting better but when im out playing without a target on the pitch i find it a bit hard when bowling.

very good drill, we do a similar one at our club using a bottle :)

If I have anything to use as a guide when I'm bowling (e.g. painted lines on a sports hall floor) it noticeably improves my bowling, but without markers my bwoling is much worse -is using markers when they are there detrimental to my bowling? Is it better for me not to rely on them?

Back