Cricket Victoria - South East Bayside League

Anyone else reckon the "2 Day" Divisions are one T20 heavy? Better balance I'm thinking would be 7 2D, 5 OD & 2 T20.
Also I wouldn't mind seeing the pink ball moved into a OD match rather than a 2 Day fixture (if it must be used).
DH – maybe one more 1D game, but I do like the double header with 2 games at the one ground

And I like the pink ball – maybe because I’m really old and it is much easier to see across the ground (although this year we had a bye and I missed out). On a related matter, you should try the white ball for the lower grades – I was shining cork after about 5 overs!!!

DH – maybe one more 1D game, but I do like the double header with 2 games at the one ground

And I like the pink ball – maybe because I’m really old and it is much easier to see across the ground (although this year we had a bye and I missed out). On a related matter, you should try the white ball for the lower grades – I was shining cork after about 5 overs!!!

You don't bowl much do you Rat? I understand CSB have an arrangement with Kookaburra, but can't see why moving the coloured ball to the pyjama cricket doesn't meet their conditions. When you get 7 matches to play red ball 2 day cricket, stick with the red ball. No issue with the T20 Double Header but as the draw this season includes the match before Xmas as a T20, just a waste of day imo. Given we play 14 matches in the home and away, it balances the white ball comp and 2 x T20 still mirrors the Premier fixture - where they play 17 H&A rounds.
All good in the comp just a couple of areas that could improve it.

you should try the white ball for the lower grades – I was shining cork after about 5 overs

I heard that Kookaburra will replace any balls that don't meet standard if returned to CSB. Worth following that one up I reckon.

Anyone else reckon the "2 Day" Divisions are one T20 heavy? Better balance I'm thinking would be 7 2D, 5 OD & 2 T20.
Also I wouldn't mind seeing the pink ball moved into a OD match rather than a 2 Day fixture (if it must be used).
I agree that 3 T20s is too many. It would be better to have a "T20 weekend" with rounds on the Saturday and Sunday, and then continue with the 40 over games. Not fussed either way about the pink balls - how do they stand up to 80 overs compared to the red ones? Or 40 overs compared to the white ones?

I agree that 3 T20s is too many. It would be better to have a "T20 weekend" with rounds on the Saturday and Sunday, and then continue with the 40 over games. Not fussed either way about the pink balls - how do they stand up to 80 overs compared to the red ones? Or 40 overs compared to the white ones?

Out of the Pink & White Balls, you'd probably prefer to play with the Pink. But it's a laquer and not the natural leather surface of a red ball. The Pink seems to hold up better than the White ball for some reason.

The Christmas break. You'd reckon with eight team grades, seven matches in, you would have played everybody and have a decent idea of where teams stand. However for reasons only known to CSB it seems as though three of the four two day games which kicked off the season have been replayed as one day/T20 matches, so 1st XI teams have probably only played four different teams.

I looked at the current ladder and the fixtures and found matches against the current top 4 in Championship for the rest of the season look like this:

Bentleigh 3
South Caulfield 4
Carnegie 1
Bonbeach 4
Beuamaris 4
Hampton 5
McKinnon 3
Chelsea 3.

That suggests Carnegie, who have played five of their six matches against the other three clubs in the top four might have the best draw, and may well retain their spot. Even though McKinnon and Chelsea have the next easiest draw (based on current ladder positions) I still suspect they won't make up the 16 points to Hampton, and will be battling for relegation. Beaumaris and Hampton are each 4 points behind Bonbeach, but Hampton have the tougher draw. It's hard to pick the finalists here, although Bentleigh and South Caulfield look to be certainties.

In Division 1 it's much more symmetrical. The top four teams (Brighton District, Murrumbeena, Parkdale and Mentone) all have 4 matches remaining against one another, while the bottom four teams (Old Mentonians, Middle Park, Cheltenham and Bayside) each have three games against the top 4. With seven points between fourth and fifth the final four almost might be settled despite the top four having perhaps one harder match each.

Another round heated off this weekend it looks like. Under CSB rules at least Div 3-5 will be called off as expected temperature will be 39 on Saturday morning with Championship & Div 1-2 report to grounds.

It would affect some teams chances of making up points i.e. outrights if they are playing a lower team this round.

Can't help mother nature I guess.

Another round heated off this weekend it looks like. Under CSB rules at least Div 3-5 will be called off as expected temperature will be 39 on Saturday morning with Championship & Div 1-2 report to grounds.

It would affect some teams chances of making up points i.e. outrights if they are playing a lower team this round.

In Division 1 at least the forthcoming round is the reverse of rain affected round 10, so if playing a lower team it becomes a double whammy. Round 10 drawn, round 12 heat affected and possibly reduced to one day.

Hopefully we find out early enough so we can enjoy a long weekend!

Great championship final played yesterday at South Caulfield. Last over result had everyone on the edge of their seats.
Some great performances from both sides with Tommy Smith fairly awarded the man of the match.

Kudos to the Bonbeach spectators for a great bit of sportsmanship with that catch / six on the boundary rope...

Great championship final played yesterday at South Caulfield. Last over result had everyone on the edge of their seats.
Some great performances from both sides with Tommy Smith fairly awarded the man of the match.

Kudos to the Bonbeach spectators for a great bit of sportsmanship with that catch / six on the boundary rope...
Agree what a fantastic game, the fielding by both sides was outstanding, apart from a Bonbeach veteran putting down a catch late.

Leader local cricket reporting a head of agreement plan for CSB, SECA & ISEC to be managed under one governing structure. Looks like a transitional 3 year process to fully implement.

Leader local cricket reporting a head of agreement plan for CSB, SECA & ISEC to be managed under one governing structure. Looks like a transitional 3 year process to fully implement.
Looking forward to dealing with one comp rather than one for seniors, one for boys and one for girls. Proud our region is leading the way

Looking forward to dealing with one comp rather than one for seniors, one for boys and one for girls. Proud our region is leading the way
Reading the article, I'd just like to know what is ? Quote - Increased co-operation and the appointment of the additional resources from CV '' . Pauline once said - Please explain.

Don’t know if you have yet, but I really recommend reading the relevant strategy documents.
CSB have a board voted on by the clubs (rather than a traditional – or outdated - delegate system). Anybody can be nominated onto the board, and I would expect that SECA and ISEC would get some people on there – but currently the board has people with no direct club involvement, and there are plenty of quality people on there with a wide range of skills. The board was deemed by the current membership as the best people to look after the interests of cricket in this region. I doubt that philosophy would change when ISEC and SECA come on board, although obviously the individuals need to change, according to the constitution.
There is a full time administrator (who previously had no link to any club in the region), who essentially reports into the board. There are other CV employees who help out as well.
CV provide funds although given the fact we have a full time administrator we also have a number of agreements in place to bring in extra funds. Club affiliation fees are therefore a lot lower than we previously had
But you’ll need to understand, ISECA and SECA won’t run their respective competitions. The competitions will be run by CSB. (Note I didn’t say they would be run by the former VTCA South clubs). CSB is just a competition, with a board (who set up the formats, rules and playing conditions), voted for by the member clubs. When SECA and ISEC joins, there will be heaps of consultation, an opportunity to be a part of the board

Well explained Rat, thanks. I believe that there is a get out clause up and till 3 years whereby SECA and ISEC can opt out of the alignment.
I'm also looking forward to SECA's response to this part of your summary - Quote But you’ll need to understand, ISECA and SECA won’t run their respective competitions. The competitions will be run by CSB. (Note I didn’t say they would be run by the former VTCA South clubs). CSB is just a competition.

Back