Cricket Victoria - South East Bayside League

YouBeauty

Fair bit of speculation about this new League and who will/won't be playing in it. Not just for the coming Season, but for future Seasons.

Last I've heard South Caulfield have now left the VTCA & joined the SEB League.

Seems to be a lot happening behind the scenes & with backing from Cricket Victoria, it surely has to be a successful comp.

Fair bit of speculation about this new League and who will/won't be playing in it. Not just for the coming Season, but for future Seasons.

Last I've heard South Caulfield have now left the VTCA & joined the SEB League.

Seems to be a lot happening behind the scenes & with backing from Cricket Victoria, it surely has to be a successful comp.

I'm sure the new comp will be successful. No doubt the wishlist of changes South clubs wanted made over the years with the VTCA, which never got done, will be addressed and the new comp will have a fairer points system, nonaligned 2nd XI's, sensible venue selections for finals, and obviously less travel. If you are right about South Caulfield, then that is probably the only wish that the other clubs won't be granted. Seems like some would prefer that South Caulfield weren't part of it so the A grade comp could be competitive. Given the ladder positions in 15/16, not an unreasonable wish I wouldn't have thought.

Really fascinating stuff going on with CV at the moment. Because their plan for cricket around Melbourne was a complete shemozzle, and called out as such by a number of clubs (and competitions more broadly), they're now just going to do it by stealth. South Caulfield are a really strong club, so I'd be surprised if they felt that playing in a competition where they would be well and truly stronger than all their opposition would be at all advantageous for them in the longer term, unless of course CV are funding clubroom/ground renovations or something similar...

They finished top four in every senior grade in which they competed - I reckon they'd be very wary of dominating a competition because it doesn't foster long term loyalty to a team.

Correct 3 out of those 4 grades will be playing the same clubs and with regrading, will play higher standard (eg 8 team grade of like for like standard rather than 18 team spread of good, bad and worse teams)

That's a good point. If they've been convinced that they won't be running riot most weeks, and that that proves true, then that is a good result for the wider competition.

It gives clubs in the southern/bayside a chance to recruit say SECA players who are looking to play turf, but didn't want to travel. I'm sure a few VSDCA clubs will be looking at this closely.

The competition will be managed better then the South was in the VTCA. The non-aligned 2nd XI is a big step in the right direction. I guess the main concern would be the South Caulfield dominance. They didn't seem to have many problems with any of the South teams in Senior Division (VTCA) last year :

RD 1 vs. Beaumaris (SCC 7/227 vs. Beaumaris 76)
RD 2 vs. Bentleigh (SCC 305 vs. Bentleigh 9/273 & 2/44)
RD 10 vs. McKinnon (SCC 394 vs. McKinnon 132 & 4/15)
RD 11 vs. Bonbeach Tangy (SCC 299 vs. Bonbeach Tangy 144 & 0/2).

And there 2nd XI only lost the one game throughout the season to Parkdale United's 1st XI and then turned it around in the Grand Final to win.

I'd be concerned if I was a South Club being put in the top division of this new Competition that played South Division last year.

Will be hard for teams to compete with a Club that strong.

Whilst travel would be significantly more for SCC, they'd surely get a much stronger challenge in Senior Division.

This does look good. However Round 10, T20 with the Second XI playing a "curtain raiser" to the First XI might be challenging to fixture if the Second XIs are non-aligned? I like the idea of non-aligned seconds, but to me this fixture suggests that they may actually be aligned.

This does look good. However Round 10, T20 with the Second XI playing a "curtain raiser" to the First XI might be challenging to fixture if the Second XIs are non-aligned? I like the idea of non-aligned seconds, but to me this fixture suggests that they may actually be aligned.
It's still non-aligned, the visiting 1s and 2s teams may be from different clubs unless the clubs have sides in the same div.

Back