Derbys to end 'sun-stopped-play'

mas cambios

Derbys to end 'sun-stopped-play'

Derbyshire are to spend more than £100,000 to ensure that the bizarre 'sun-stopped-play' scenario is a thing of the past at the County Ground.

The club will turn the playing square by 90 degrees at the end of the season.

Dazzling evening sunshine stopped play for the first time in June 2006 and several games were hit last season.

and

This season Derbyshire aim to manage the problem by using sophisticated technology to predict the location of the sun in advance so that an appropriate strip can be prepared for the game.

From the BBC

One of those odd little stories that crop up from time to time.

Re: Derbys to end 'sun-stopped-play'

Blimey - only in England would that happen! Surely this isn't a common reason for games to be stopped is it? Was it late in the afternoon/Evening - as that kind of makes sense if the light is low in the sky - but then surely someone should have thought about that when they designed the wicket? I mean on our practice wickets I considered this when designating the direction the wickets run!

Lol Why do they need to predict the location of the sun? I thought it always rose in the east. Cant they just lay it in a North-South direction so that the batsmen arent staring directly into the sun.

It only started happening a few years ok, so my guess would be that someone on the landscape changed or got pulled down.

What I want to know is, will they be cutting out the existing square and rotating or simply laying a new one on a different angle?

Found a photo of the problem:

1484.jpg

Dude 119 - there's a massive variation in where the sun comes up and goes down here in the UK - probably due to the fact that we're miles away from the equator - you might not have such a problem in India. On Dec 21st (Winter) the sun rises ESE and sets WSW so the days are really short and the further North you go the shorter the days and the more southerly the sun. Then in the summer we have far longer days with almost 18 hours of light and the sun rises more ENE and sets WNW. So if you're not aware of this and go and stick a wickets somewhere without this taken into consideration you'll end up with the situation described. I'd imagine that as John Ad says something was removed - trees or a building?

It makes sense that something was removed but it may also be because they started to play cricket later into the evening?

It's only been an issue, since they started extending day's play.

The ground and surrounding environment haven't changed, day/night cricket, and later finishing times have caused the problem.

When it was built, games never went beyond 5.30, and the sun doesn't set that early during the summer.

Back