Do 95% of wives and girlfriends thinking we're total losers for playing cricket?

someblokecalleddave

Do 95% of wives and girlfriends thinking we're total losers for playing cricket?

Is it just my wife or does the everyone elses wives and girlfriends think we're total losers for playing cricket and discussing it on forums and blogs?

Re: Do 95% of wives and girlfriends thinking we're total losers for playing cricket?

I dare say you're not the only one. Can't really comment on the forum side of things but the main issue with playing is that it's a whole day thing rather than a few hours.

Re: Do 95% of wives and girlfriends thinking we're total losers for playing cricket?

My club has a fantastic atmosphere. The girls have as much fun as us boys do. I would also say that not 1 of them are remotely interested in the cricket side of it. The biggest problem we have is that, who is driving home?

I've had blokes in my team say that if you can convince them to go and see an Ashes match on a day when we're doing well, that wins them over a bit and converts some of them.

Cricket generally has it's followers and it's non-followers... no inbetween whatsoever.

I find it's not only the women that have that sort of 'losers' thought, but everyone who doesn't play cricket.

Discussing anything on a forum, especially cricket, isn't the most reputation building thing, I only started because I was sick and very bored (but have loved it since), but it's more than useful when it comes to your own cricket.

I think it's just the nature of the sport.

Boris;397205 said:
Cricket generally has it's followers and it's non-followers... no inbetween whatsoever.

I find it's not only the women that have that sort of 'losers' thought, but everyone who doesn't play cricket.

Discussing anything on a forum, especially cricket, isn't the most reputation building thing, I only started because I was sick and very bored (but have loved it since), but it's more than useful when it comes to your own cricket.

I think it's just the nature of the sport.

I had to go to a funeral recently and it's one of those situations where you catch up with all your old mates that haven't seen you for 10,15 or 20 years. A few of the blokes I caught up with their couldn't believe I was playing cricket and they've got no idea about what it's like.

someblokecalleddave;397376 said:
I had to go to a funeral recently and it's one of those situations where you catch up with all your old mates that haven't seen you for 10,15 or 20 years. A few of the blokes I caught up with their couldn't believe I was playing cricket and they've got no idea about what it's like.

I know a family that pretty much has seperated themselves from the outside world and has absolutely no idea about sport whatsoever. One time the oldest son saw cricket playing on TV in a waiting room in public and he asked me what it was, he had never seen it before. They can barely distinguish between golf and croquet, in fact one of them didn't even know why there was a huge area of vast greenness in the middle of a city with people swinging sticks around on it.

It such a strange thing for any family in Australia to not be affiliated with sport whatsoever. Even the least sport oriented families turn on the TV at some point to catch the sports news to see if their state won State of Origin or if Australia won the Ashes, even if they have never watched the game itself.

I don't know whether to be proud of these families for managing to be different from society and escape the pressures and competitiveness of sport, or to be utterly, utterly disgusted that they couldn't give a crap about it or even let their children participate in a sport such as gymnastics at the least.

This is strange for most families worldwide, but you could almost be considered an outcast in Australia.

mas cambios;396999 said:
I dare say you're not the only one. Can't really comment on the forum side of things but the main issue with playing is that it's a whole day thing rather than a few hours.

I think this comment from mas is right on the money. Playing cricket can consume your life over summer, particularly so if you are involved off the field as well. Not exactly endearing you to the wife or partner especially when there are the usual ongoing task required around the house. Maybe 20/20 is actually a covert strategy by women to get you back home and into the Yakka's in quick time. :D

onemoreover;397449 said:
I think this comment from mas is right on the money. Playing cricket can consume your life over summer, particularly so if you are involved off the field as well. Not exactly endearing you to the wife or partner especially when there are the usual ongoing task required around the house. Maybe 20/20 is actually a covert strategy by women to get you back home and into the Yakka's in quick time. :D

Don't know what Yakka's are, but that is one of the key aspects that gives my wife the ache. In addition my two sons have been encouraged to play cricket and Sunday for the best part of 6 months is written off what with their games in the morning and then mine in the afternoon. These blokes that play Saturday, Sunday and then train youth squads in the evenings must be really pushing their luck! But the women should console themselves in that their blokes could be Surfers!!!

From my observations, the only thing more arousing to girls than 'I post on a cricket discussion forum' is 'I am a moderator on a cricket discussion forum'

Umm! Not all gals are turned off by cricket.

Strangely, the three men I live with don't seem to mind the time I spend on the subject :p.

My girlfriends, of all ages have often told me that they would love to do what I do... but that has probably got more to do with my day job! :D

someblokecalleddave;397691 said:
Don't know what Yakka's are, QUOTE]
Yakka is aussie for work, yakkas are work clothes

a for effort;397695 said:
From my observations, the only thing more arousing to girls than 'I post on a cricket discussion forum' is 'I am a moderator on a cricket discussion forum'

My missus likes me on BigCricket/computer. It's the only time she gets to use my beloved remote control.

Does that mean you're supposed to tell them about the forum? :D

Only if your a mod.
But all-star does sound pretty good. So maybe yes for all-stars as well.

That's right, mods get an extra source of income.

I'd say that an all star should be paid as well, don't you?
For such quality as you boris it should be about $5 a post:p:rolleyes:

cold case;397063 said:
My club has a fantastic atmosphere. The girls have as much fun as us boys do. I would also say that not 1 of them are remotely interested in the cricket side of it. The biggest problem we have is that, who is driving home?

Or who was the last one to get to the bar is usually the same answer :p

someblokecalleddave;397691 said:
Don't know what Yakka's are, but that is one of the key aspects that gives my wife the ache. In addition my two sons have been encouraged to play cricket and Sunday for the best part of 6 months is written off what with their games in the morning and then mine in the afternoon. These blokes that play Saturday, Sunday and then train youth squads in the evenings must be really pushing their luck! But the women should console themselves in that their blokes could be Surfers!!!

Ah sorry Dave, forgot you are from the motherland :p Yakka's in Oz are a classic brand of work overalls. :D Your also right regarding the aspect of cricketing children, who may be in your care one way or another.

Back