Dvca - Finals 2014/2015

Amen brother.

Just don't mention the shit pitches too much, people around here get on the defensive and tell you to stop whinging.

How these "things" were allowed in the first place still has me baffled.
Don't even know how they can consider it winging anyway. These wickets take out 2 modes of dismissal (bowled/lbw) if you bat out of your ground.
And good bowlers lose two dismissal methods...
Point is it's just crap cricket, with no competition between bat and ball.
Bats are scared to play shots and top bowlers can't attack the stumps. Equalling negative boring cricket we saw in the Barclay finals series with low totals.

Don't even know how they can consider it winging anyway. These wickets take out 2 modes of dismissal (bowled/lbw) if you bat out of your ground.
Bats are scared to play shots and top bowlers can't attack the stumps. Equalling negative boring cricket we saw in the Barclay finals series with low totals.

Agree with 100% mate.

Only thing you may have wrong is the LBW comment.

The DVCA rule for LBW flow chart goes something like:

Did the ball hit the batsman?

Yes: It's out LBW
No: It might be out LBW

Amen brother.

Just don't mention the shit pitches too much, people around here get on the defensive and tell you to stop whinging.

How these "things" were allowed in the first place still has me baffled.

Simple, the pitches were allowed as they don't need to be covered during winter, thus saving councils shite loads of money.

Simple, the pitches were allowed as they don't need to be covered during winter, thus saving councils shite loads of money.

As long as the councils save their $$$$ then everything is ok.

Don't worry about the DVCA turning into a crap comp and any kid growing up in the Northern suburbs not being able to play decent cricket and giving it away.

They still have to cover the pitch though (with the black rubber crap that is partly responsible for the bounce) and then clean it all off for the start of the season. It's probably the same amount of work required to do that as it was laying fake grass mats over the pitch like they did a few years back.

They still have to cover the pitch though (with the black rubber crap that is partly responsible for the bounce) and then clean it all off for the start of the season. It's probably the same amount of work required to do that as it was laying fake grass mats over the pitch like they did a few years back.
You obviously haven't done much physical work in your life to compare covering a pitch with soil compared to some rubber shavings...

You've obviously never done it. We used to say to the council that we will get it off ourselves on our second ground, and we would get a discount on the grounds. It would take 5 or so blokes 3 or more hours with shovels getting all the dirt off. Its bloody hard work. Now, its a blower and high pressure hose in about 25min.

But from all reports - You're not one for hard work.

Offpeg this is a brilliant post. Couldn't have said it any better myself.

You've obviously never done it. We used to say to the council that we will get it off ourselves on our second ground, and we would get a discount on the grounds. It would take 5 or so blokes 3 or more hours with shovels getting all the dirt off. Its bloody hard work. Now, its a blower and high pressure hose in about 25min.

I've done it.

And whilst it is a bit of elbow grease. I'd gladly spend a whole week non stop having to do it if it meant we were to play on something that resembled a cricket pitch and not a green trampoline that is single handedly ruining the DVCA.

Nice subtle whack for the blackhawk at the end their too Tongs, I like it.

I'm not talking about the dirt and plastic of which I shoveled my fair share of too, but I remember for a year or two they put down these big rubber mats instead of plastic and soil. Surely it would take the same amount of effort to take them off as removing the rubber pellets and besides, they're going to have to do something if people want the old style pitches back.

As for hard work, only suckers go for hard work. The best of us work smarter.

Last edited:
Not sure what the discussion was like the season just gone but i know the previous year ALL clubs were asked to put in a detailed submission as to why the current pitches were detrimental for local cricket. At least 2/3rds of the clubs did not respond so it was bit hard for the exec to play hardball with the councils when the people they were representing showed such little interest.

From the last time I discussed this issue with the council - cost is the big issue. There are OH&S concerns about the matting covers as well which requires specific machinery to pick up and put down.

- if the DVCA (clubs) demands we return to the old style shorter pile synthetic, then:

- it will be done ground by ground on an as needs basis.
Meaning some grounds would change immediately, some not for maybe 5 years or more, particularly the 3rd & 4ths grounds. Same process as the new wickets were introduced... only slower.
So that would mean every ground could be a differnet wicket match to match. Certianly make things interesting for a while... we shall see how good the batting is then...

- costs of the new covers, summer storage of, and the equipment required to lay down and pick up the covers - would not be borne by the councils, but would likley be passed directly onto the clubs.
Given that the councils do not currently have these covers, they have to be purchased. My understanding, and I might be wrong, these are in the vicity of $5K or more - per pitch...?

I hear a lot of disapproval about these all weather wickets, I am one of them, particularly for young juniors, but can every club afford a bill of maybe $10K or more in the next 1-4 years to change over... I know some can... many I assume could not...

I hear a lot of disapproval about these all weather wickets, I am one of them, particularly for young juniors, but can every club afford a bill of maybe $10K or more in the next 1-4 years to change over... I know some can... many I assume could not...

Would those same clubs who can't afford it, go out and spend $7k+ on players though? It's about priorities really. I think players don't like them, (not if this forum accurately reflects the playing populace) cricket victoria doesn't, the only people who like them are ploddy medium pacers and accountants.

Ultimately both sides play on the same wicket so its a fair game, but if the comp/clubs made a decision to change pitches in the best interests of the comp, clubs need to find the money, either by raising more or cutting spending on players (i feel like fat Joe Hockey saying that..).

Oh well, no one's gunna cut spending on players or want to take on those costs, so that idea is screwed.
Hence why good players go to turf and never come back. Just better cricket in general away from our decks.
It's fair to say the caliber and standard of players in the Dvca has dropped off since these decks came in

Would those same clubs who can't afford it, go out and spend $7k+ on players though? It's about priorities really. I think players don't like them, (not if this forum accurately reflects the playing populace) cricket victoria doesn't, the only people who like them are ploddy medium pacers and accountants.

Ultimately both sides play on the same wicket so its a fair game, but if the comp/clubs made a decision to change pitches in the best interests of the comp, clubs need to find the money, either by raising more or cutting spending on players (i feel like fat Joe Hockey saying that..).

The company that invented the all weather pitches should pay for it for being the reason for single handedly destroying cricket for the past 8 or so years.

Our local councils must operate totally different to others in the state. Numerous all weather pitches have been replaced in other councils. If what Bundoora says is correct and only 1/3 of the clubs responded with feedback of the pitches then that's a disgrace by the committees who did not respond.
Cricket clubs are so far behind football clubs when it comes to club administration. I think it would be generous to think that 1/3 of the clubs are well run on a long term basis. A large number of clubs seem to only be operating with a forecast of 1 or 2 years. It would be interesting to see the past 10 years p&l sheets of the clubs. Clubs need to be run as a business now in order to ensure they will be around long term.

End of rant

With the World Cup final on today. The commentary about the expected performance, particularly with NZ playing in the MCG/Australia for the first time. It made me consider how I've reacted and my own performances in finals.

As a designated bat, I've played in two and choked in both. First one was in my first full season. There was just and overwhelming tightness that I hadn't experienced before that I couldn't control. The first time I attempted to play a shot, nicked it. The second time I hadn't played in the side above me the whole season, despite getting good scores. But then got picked in the finals. I actually did feel some expectation to perform. Got bowled for a meaningless score.

Ah well...

Back