Dvca - How Do We Make It Better - A Bigcricket Going Forward Forum

Sorry Unity, but I absolutely hate the East v West situation. Playing finals against sides you haven't played against all season, and it could actually be years if you both don't play finals.

To be honest, i am one of the few that would probably just leave it as is. Not because I think it is "fair", but because I can't really see the best way forward to make it even as well as a good competition. I think its a matter of taking the good with the bad.

Sorry Unity, but I absolutely hate the East v West situation. Playing finals against sides you haven't played against all season, and it could actually be years if you both don't play finals.

To be honest, i am one of the few that would probably just leave it as is. Not because I think it is "fair", but because I can't really see the best way forward to make it even as well as a good competition. I think its a matter of taking the good with the bad.

Agree. Yeah its not fair, but most other comps are the same. I think generally the best sides finish in the 4. Perhaps 4th and 5th might come down to weather and draw but it depends. Most sides can look back to a match or key moment as the reason they missed.

I think the DVCA have got a pretty good thing going at the moment. Don't break it. The acquisition of Banyule, Rosanna and Heidelberg has been great. They're strong well ran clubs who have made the comp better. The comp takes in a good envelope of areas and I think the focus of the DVCA and clubs should be on junior participation, making sure the next generation play cricket.

Should revert to 3 divs of 10. 9 x 2 day games = 18 days.
Start 3rd week of October. Dont want to hear about people saying we dont want to miss 2 weeks of cricket. Most people wouldnt give a rats, and it gives those whose play/involved with footy a small break in between rather than missing first 2 weeks anyway.

Give everyone > years notice - say now - that the following season will change (2015-16). So bottom 3 go down.

The B grade comp is a farce, with 4 ones playing aginst 2's. No surprise that they fill 4 of top 6. My tip is they will have top 4/5 by the end.
A 3rd divison grade can cater for these lower 1st teams - & including 2 new ones if we want or best 2-3 2nds teams...

All the lower grades are stuffed. Our average 3rds team play in D grade, & play against 6 clubs 2nds teams...& 1 x 1st team...

The sooner we get back to promo/relegation in just the 2 - 3 main divisions the better, with reserves, and clubs can nominate their teams to play in suitable grades below. I really dont think the idea of 'dead rubbers' in the reserve grades is as big an issue as was made out to be...

Reducing the cricket season makes the comp less competitive relative to other comps. With Melbourne's fickle spring weather, the footballers will normally get a week or two rest somewhere in October and November. Agree that the grading system hasn't produces the outcomes the comp probably expected.

Reducing the cricket season makes the comp less competitive relative to other comps. With Melbourne's fickle spring weather, the footballers will normally get a week or two rest somewhere in October and November. Agree that the grading system hasn't produces the outcomes the comp probably expected.

We play on cricket pitches made for football, why not give them an extra couple of weeks of our season too?

If the DVCA want to make the comp better moving forward, then start with the pitches.

It's ok for the adults who are big and strong enough to adapt, and we have, but I feel sorry watching our juniors who will never learn the art of the cover drive.

Can't wait to see what it looks like in 5-10 years time when every player in the DVCA can't drive a ball and tries to cross bat slog everything.

Should revert to 3 divs of 10. 9 x 2 day games = 18 days.
Start 3rd week of October. Dont want to hear about people saying we dont want to miss 2 weeks of cricket. Most people wouldnt give a rats, and it gives those whose play/involved with footy a small break in between rather than missing first 2 weeks anyway.

Give everyone > years notice - say now - that the following season will change (2015-16). So bottom 3 go down.

The B grade comp is a farce, with 4 ones playing aginst 2's. No surprise that they fill 4 of top 6. My tip is they will have top 4/5 by the end.
A 3rd divison grade can cater for these lower 1st teams - & including 2 new ones if we want or best 2-3 2nds teams...

All the lower grades are stuffed. Our average 3rds team play in D grade, & play against 6 clubs 2nds teams...& 1 x 1st team...

The sooner we get back to promo/relegation in just the 2 - 3 main divisions the better, with reserves, and clubs can nominate their teams to play in suitable grades below. I really dont think the idea of 'dead rubbers' in the reserve grades is as big an issue as was made out to be...

Agree with most of this - The only thing I would change is the start date.

I'd say start at the same time, but have extra time either side of Christmas off. Makes holidays, etc a bit easier on blokes with families that want to get away for an extended period.

We play on cricket pitches made for football, why not give them an extra couple of weeks of our season too?

If the DVCA want to make the comp better moving forward, then start with the pitches.

Agree totally with this sentiment. But I believe it's a council thing. Whether or not DVCA lobby them enough or indeed if the council listen at all I'm not sure. If I had my way 1st XIs and 2nd XI would play exclusively amongst themselves. BS <-> MS and BSR<->MSR ie 2nds could relegate between BSR and MSR but not higher or lower. The grades below this (3rds onwards) would employ the same system as we have now.

Clubs Firsts and Seconds should play on turf on their main ovals. The rest on synthetic.

Can't wait to see what it looks like in 5-10 years time when every player in the DVCA can't drive a ball and tries to cross bat slog everything.

Why wait 5 years? This is most batting line ups now... and pitches often necessitate it. These pitches almost remove spinners from the equation and favour dinky medium pacers, who use there lack of pace and excessive bounce to make it difficult to score against unless you play in the air. Anyway /rant over

More opportunities for one-dayers in the lower grades please. I made my suggestion for the alternative calendar in another thread. Please...PLEASE!

These platypus balls are an absolute disgrace, someone on the executive needs to stand up be the bigger man and give these the arse. It's bad enough we are playing on the wrong synthetic let alone using a ball that can't even stand up for 80 overs of cricket. Week after week these balls start splitting with chunks of leather hanging off around the seam within 20 overs. We had one on the weekend that a 30mm piece of leather missing from the centre of the seam to the first stitching in two places. Not in 20 odd years of cricket have I ever seen ball fall apart like this. While these maybe a few dollars cheaper they cost clubs a shitload in training balls as, after a game the only place for the is the bin. With finals approaching I do not see how these can be used in such important games.

Last edited by a moderator:
These platypus balls are an absolute disgrace, someone on the executive needs to stand up be the bigger man and give these the arse. It's bad enough we are playing on the wrong synthetic let alone using a ball that can't even stand up for 80 overs of cricket. Week after week these balls start splitting with chunks of leather hanging off around the seam within 20 overs. We had one on the weekend that a 30mm piece of leather missing from the centre of the seam to the first stitching in two places. Not in 20 odd years of cricket have I ever seen ball fall apart like this. While these maybe a few dollars cheaper they cost clubs a shitload in training balls as, after a game the only place for the is the bin. With finals approaching I do not see how these can be used in such important games.

I couldn't have said it any better. You have just written word for word exactly my experiences with the new balls.

Substandard balls and substandard pitches.

Eventually the DVCA will be a substandard competition.

Fix it.

Now.

I am only the BigCricket Moderator, I don't run the whole competition..... :D

In all seriousness, I hate the new pitches and are all for them to go. But the pitches are not the doing of the DVCA, but the councils. They are the ones that chose this (cheaper) option with the original support of the clubs. Whilst most now don't like the pitches, the financial impacts on clubs to change them back would be very significant and some clubs would shirk at that idea.

I am only the BigCricket Moderator, I don't run the whole competition..... :D

In all seriousness, I hate the new pitches and are all for them to go. But the pitches are not the doing of the DVCA, but the councils. They are the ones that chose this (cheaper) option with the original support of the clubs. Whilst most now don't like the pitches, the financial impacts on clubs to change them back would be very significant and some clubs would shirk at that idea.

Agree with your points Tongs, and I do understand that the pitches were not the doing of the DVCA, but of the councils, I'm not blaming the DVCA for the pitches at all, and I understand the competition are trying to take a stance on them?

Problem still is though, the DVCA will eventually be a substandard comp if it continues.

The DVCA is a great place to play cricket, a lot of friendships have been made in my time in the DVCA, with teammates, opposition and umpires. But the reality is it is turning into a crap comp because of the pitches and the style of cricket they promote.

Agree with your points Tongs, and I do understand that the pitches were not the doing of the DVCA, but of the councils, I'm not blaming the DVCA for the pitches at all, and I understand the competition are trying to take a stance on them?

Problem still is though, the DVCA will eventually be a substandard comp if it continues.

The DVCA is a great place to play cricket, a lot of friendships have been made in my time in the DVCA, with teammates, opposition and umpires. But the reality is it is turning into a crap comp because of the pitches and the style of cricket they promote.

Do you know anyone that has played in any other comps that are in a different position with their pitches? Not the NMCA rabble, but other Victorian comps? What pitches do they use? Do they have the same issues etc. Or is it just us that are in this position?

Do you know anyone that has played in any other comps that are in a different position with their pitches? Not the NMCA rabble, but other Victorian comps? What pitches do they use? Do they have the same issues etc. Or is it just us that are in this position?

I understand there have been a few synthetic comps around metropolitan Melbourne that tried the all weather and ripped them up straight away. Obviously not sure what the competition and council set up was with these comps though.

I think the DVCA and NMCA are the only ones left that I know of using them?

Anyway, we can't do anything without the support of the councils on this matter, so we will see what sort of committment they have toward their cricket clubs and the game of cricket over the next year or two.

Whoever decided to use them mate a terrible mistake, and it needs to be rectified.

More in our control as a comp is the issue of the balls. Seriously, I know it's out to a trial for a tender but at what point does common sense prevail?

Need to let go of the pitches issue lads, the DVCA Exec is working with all councils, and if ALL clubs had given the feedback when asked, they would have had meetings with the 3 councils concerned. Some clubs are not getting this feedback (ask for on the balls as well - and not enough clubs did that either) to the Exec and Councils are only likely to come to the party when all clubs in the area are voicing the same opinions.

The balls are clearly a better product than the ones we used before Xmas, they are redder in colour and are not going as soft, or losing the shine as quick as the older batch.
Again, if all clubs don't give the feedback to the Exec, which is working towards solutions, then nothing will change.

Need to let go of the pitches issue lads, the DVCA Exec is working with all councils, and if ALL clubs had given the feedback when asked, they would have had meetings with the 3 councils concerned. Some clubs are not getting this feedback (ask for on the balls as well - and not enough clubs did that either) to the Exec and Councils are only likely to come to the party when all clubs in the area are voicing the same opinions.

The balls are clearly a better product than the ones we used before Xmas, they are redder in colour and are not going as soft, or losing the shine as quick as the older batch.
Again, if all clubs don't give the feedback to the Exec, which is working towards solutions, then nothing will change.

The balls may look better than the previous batch and some may last the distance but how Iceman has described the degradation is in line with what I have witnessed over the last 2 weekends. 3 and maybe 4 (I didn't see the second one of the last round) the balls split and a strip of leather came away all within the first 20 overs. Either the leather is shit or more likely the stitching is flawed either because of the type of cord/string that is used or through it being pulled too tight. ASA Quality standard? I think not.

Iceman is further correct. How many sides will have a ball of comparable wear that is able to be used as a replacement that is around 20 overs old? This would surely and unfairly have a significant impact on any bowling side in any game let alone a final.

Executive must bite the bullet and kill off the Platypus.

I couldn't have said it any better. You have just written word for word exactly my experiences with the new balls.

Agreed, absolute shite.
Our D grade had a ball 2 weeks ago - on a relatively new all weather wicket - where the seam lifted and tore ( almost perforated) along the stitching for about 2cm in the 9-10th over.
In the 13th over the ball nearly split in 2, with a 6-8cm complete split opening up. ball had to be replaced. Score only about 3/30 so hadnt been belted around.

DVCA Exec requested and have been given the ball.

A former player of ours , now umpire, showed me 2 balls from his game on the weekend. One ball split open at 40 overs. the 2nds one at 15 overs !!

Combination of the leather being cheap and lower quality, and / or the stiching being too tight ( done by machine - not hand ??)

As a side issue, has anyone tackled Platypus on the price of the balls?
When we first spoke to Platypus about 4 pieces balls (3-4 years ago) their price per ball was around $36 per ball. Compared to Kookaburra at $44.
We all know we chose Kookaburra.
Platypus then shut up their local manufacturing and moved off shore. (DVCA leaving them probably hastened this process)
Now I work for a manufacturer / importer. The only reason they would do this is to cut costs.
So why then, if they have moved off shore, have their ball costs increased from $36 to $44 or whatever they are now.
(even allowing for some inflation in the costs over 4 years). These imported balls should be cheaper. Not more expensive. they certianly are cheaper qulaity wise.

For the sake of the quality of the DVCA competition, we must investigate other options on balls for next season

Substandard balls and substandard pitches.

Eventually the DVCA will be a substandard competition.

Fix it.

Now.

Everyone agrees that the pitches are diabolical to bat on and the same for junior development, and it sounds like the balls aren't great either. But as long as the pitches stay, these balls are actually creating a more even contest between bat and ball and that is what everyone should want.

Who cares if the ball looks ugly or gets replaced occasionally. Check the scores from 3 years ago, not many over 200, lots under 100, average medium pacers dominating, spinners not getting a bowl, surely this year has been better.

Back